• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Options for first bespoke suit

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of my blazers. I only had photos of the jacket and not the pants. ALL our garments are made 100% by hand.
Light 4 season wool, horn buttons, silk lining

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0109_2.jpg

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
But most importantly, third, it's high time somebody posted pics around here of a fully-bespoke Flusser suit! There seem to be far more opinions about Flusser's work than there are informed opinions ... and while a pic on the foum does not provide enough good information to judge, I would love to hear your take on the process and final product.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
First off I would nab that Sartorio. Chances are it's going to be the same type of fit you're going to want if you had bespoke anyway.

Then I would take the rest of the money and get a made to measure somewhere else. DeCorato in NYC does a great m2m for less than 3 and it would easily rival the quality of Flusser etc.

Then again, it won't look that British. That's just my opinion.

Stedye

Reaction score
I highly recoommend Flusser. I have a Black/Charcoal stripe double Breasted that he made for me over 14 years ago and it still looks great. He makes a great pair of pants with great attention to the
details. A side note: when I was getting fitted the late great designer Bill Blass was in the Flusser shop
getting fitted for a Suit and was introduced to me, I would say Blass was knowledgeable about who
has wonderful craftsmanship and he could afford any custom shop in the world when he was among us.
I have received countless compliments on this Suit over the years. Whichever you choose :) Wear it
well!!1

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stedye
I highly recoommend Flusser. I have a Black/Charcoal stripe double Breasted that he made for me over 14 years ago and it still looks great. He makes a great pair of pants with great attention to the
details. A side note: when I was getting fitted the late great designer Bill Blass was in the Flusser shop
getting fitted for a Suit and was introduced to me, I would say Blass was knowledgeable about who
has wonderful craftsmanship and he could afford any custom shop in the world when he was among us.
I have received countless compliments on this Suit over the years. Whichever you choose :) Wear it
well!!1

As Bill Blass said, "No one knows more about menswear than Alan Flusser."

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yale Cameron
well I must say that I agree 100% with that. In fact, I owuld say that unless your interest is of that nature, bespoke is really probably not something people should necessarily do. It takes a lot of time and money, and the much of the reward is ethereal. I apologize if my comment came off as aggressive. I simply did not want to OP to think he was too young and experienced, and to be scared off of bespoke due to the previous comments. Plus, I think personal style is ever changing and waiting until having a rigid style is unnecessary. frankly, I find that going through the process of bespoke is actually the best way to filter through your style. Most rtw provides a style for you, whereas Bespoke forces one ot make the choices that really reveal the styl.e

I don't know about this. The reason why I have yet to settle on a bespoke suit is because I feel like tailors somewhat restrict my personal style. I will like certain features that one particular tailor is good at and something else from another. I feel that many tailors are either just as presumptuous as designers in that they don't want to comission anything that doesn't have their look. Some (better) tailors aren't comfortable executing something that they aren't used to. Both of these are fine with me and I can understand them completely, but it is not going to make me settle just so I can have a bespoke dick measuring contest with my friends, or internet peers.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will the OP also make an extra trouser?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
As Bill Blass said, "No one knows more about menswear than Alan Flusser."

I'm going to go ahead and guess from the posts + sig combo that you work for Flusser...
tinfoil.gif

gherrmann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Logsdail by the way now produces his stuff in a factory in Louisiana. He sends the patterns there and they make them and send it back to NYC. I think that is more overpriced MTM than bespoke.

I believe you are mistaken. I have seen, with my own eyes, coats being cut and made in Len's workroom in the back of his shop. I understand that he also offers a made-to-measure service in addition to his bespoke work (although most of his business is straight bespoke), and the made-to-measure garments obviously are made offsite in a factory somewhere (I don't know if it's in Louisiana or elsewhere). The (perhaps unintentional) implication of your post, however -- that all of Len's suits are made in a factory in Louisiana -- is not correct.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, you can't really "try on" bespoke suits. You pick your tailor based on educated guesses and after having established comfort with what bespoke really means. That is to say you should not fool yourself into believing that you will get exactly what you expect, or that you will be able to control the outcome to any significant degree. Rather, you should be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. If that sounds stupid to you, bespoke most likely won't make you happy.
Plenty of bespoke tailors will "slip" one into something when trying to make a sale.
Probably a "pig."

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gherrmann
I believe you are mistaken. I have seen, with my own eyes, coats being cut and made in Len's workroom in the back of his shop. I understand that he also offers a made-to-measure service in addition to his bespoke work (although most of his business is straight bespoke), and the made-to-measure garments obviously are made offsite in a factory somewhere (I don't know if it's in Louisiana or elsewhere). The (perhaps unintentional) implication of your post, however -- that all of Len's suits are made in a factory in Louisiana -- is not correct.

The location of construction doesn't change it from 'bespoke' to 'made to measure' anyway. Once the fabric is cut it is usually sent onto a tailor for construction, whether that tailor is in the next room or the next state doesn't really make much difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics