• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desktop PC Building Thread

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Milpool, overclocking gets you more bang for your buck. Plus, it's kinda fun. It's almost like putting a turbo on your naturally aspirated car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I prefer a cleaner aesthetic and if a large case is needed I would go toward this route:

Same here. I like the Cooler Master ATCS 840 for a nice clean look. The only thing it lacks is a hot-swap bay for SSDs.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a monitor from newegg. They've got about the worst return/exchange policy in existence for dead pixels. I think it's something like 8 dead pixels before they'll allow a return. Amazon will usually let you return it for just 1 dead pixel.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at FT02 fo a while now, as the FT01. Really nice cases.
!luc

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skitlets
I wouldn't buy a monitor from newegg. They've got about the worst return/exchange policy in existence for dead pixels. I think it's something like 8 dead pixels before they'll allow a return. Amazon will usually let you return it for just 1 dead pixel.
1. I am in Canada so Amazon only sells books and dvds.
2. Newegg has a 30 day return policy I think, don't even need a reason.
3. Yeah I'm worried about the dead pixel issue. And somewhat about backlight bleeding. But I'm just going to give it a shot, see what happens... one way another it'll be a lesson learned, in favour of buying online or not.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Milpool, overclocking gets you more bang for your buck. Plus, it's kinda fun. It's almost like putting a turbo on your naturally aspirated car.
smile.gif

Same here. I like the Cooler Master ATCS 840 for a nice clean look. The only thing it lacks is a hot-swap bay for SSDs.

Function and form at it's best, Antec P180:
1.jpg

Super quite, super clean, super cool case.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
1. I am in Canada so Amazon only sells books and dvds.
2. Newegg has a 30 day return policy I think, don't even need a reason.
3. Yeah I'm worried about the dead pixel issue. And somewhat about backlight bleeding. But I'm just going to give it a shot, see what happens... one way another it'll be a lesson learned, in favour of buying online or not.

NCIX.com is by and large the best internet PC component distributor in Canada.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^Perhaps, but to buy a refurbished version of this monitor there will cost more than a NIB version at newegg. I dunno, the dead pixed thing might sketch me out enough to buy something a little smaller at memory express instead. If I get this one instead, I lose 1/2 an inch of screen real estate and spend an additional 50 bucks, but I can buy it locally (memory express)
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29582(ME).aspx

There's this one too but I don't know much about BenQ products.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...27481(ME).aspx

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good place to read about monitors is the hardforum display subforum. I know the 24" BenQs are highly regarded. Not so sure about the larger ones.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Antec P18X series was a good one, but is starting to get a tad long in the tooth. I also hate, and I mean HATE, cases with doors. I had a thermaltake aluminum case with a door and I got rid of it as soon as I could. The Cooler Master 840 looks like a nice clean case, but doesn't seem to have quite the interesting features FT02 has, though it does cost a decent chunk of change less.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Years ago I belonged to forums that discussed computers, linux, and other OSs. I must say, the complete absence of juvenile bitchiness I've seen in this thread* is...strangely unfamiliar, considering the subject.

*I've only read parts, but still....

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Years ago I belonged to forums that discussed computers, linux, and other OSs. I must say, the complete absence of juvenile bitchiness I've seen in this thread* is...strangely unfamiliar, considering the subject.

*I've only read parts, but still....

It is a nice departure. I will say that some threads I've read in Hardforum are quite informative as well.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Teacher: there is a reason I started this thread on a clothing forum and didn't join a geeksquad forum just for this purpose. I imagine it would be like posting a "what size APCs for me" thread in SW&D.

Soooo I posted a couple of monitor links up there, any thoughts? Here I'll repost. First one was the one I was going to grab but I am entertaining other possibilities.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16824254043

Asus? I have faith in the brand due to past experiences but have never owned one of their monitors.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29582(ME).aspx

There's this one too but I don't know much about BenQ products. Putting good speakers on a monitor is a waste of time and effort imo, but I don't know if the display is any good.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...27481(ME).aspx

I remember when I had a 14.5" and 19" was huge...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, LCD Monitors are probably my weakest area in terms of hardware knowledge. I do know you want a IPS or PVA panel as opposed to TN which 95% of monitors are nowadays.

I'd just type in your possible choices + reviews in google and see if someone reviewed it using decent tools, calibration, benchmarks and can ID the panel.

Also newegg has an HD 5830 by MSI (not the best brand nor card) for $150 USD after mail in rebate ($199 before). That drops the price down to 5770 levels for quite the performance bump. The card is massive but should fit the 922 fine. Apparently the updated afterburner software will allow you to bump the vcore to overclock the thing like a champ if you so wish. I think it's a great compromise between a 5770 and 5850, especially at the price.

*EDIT* oops, just checked newegg.ca and the thing is a whopping $230 CAD after rebate...not worth it haha.

daft

Reaction score
I have a 24" ASUS LCD and it is amazing. I would recommend them but dell, acer, samsung all make quality stuff and it's hard to go wrong here as long as the price is right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads