1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Desktop PC Building Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AR_Six, Jul 23, 2010.

1. KenN

KenN Senior member

Update:

Holy crap, is the entire front bezel all mesh?

2. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Holy crap, is the entire front bezel all mesh?

Not exactly, here's a better pic unboxed.

[​IMG]

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

To each his own, but I think that case is hideous. Functional for sure, but it is not a looker.

I prefer a cleaner aesthetic and if a large case is needed I would go toward this route:

Unibody Aluminum construction:
    [​IMG]

That's Three 180mm fans pulling from below and exhausts out the top and sound dampening on almost all the panels:
    [​IMG]

Not to mention that this is the kind of case you use for many, many years. Totally worth the price imo.

G Skill makes great memory. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up their chips. I ran some of their DDR2 stuff for 2 years with great success. Gave it to my brother when I upgraded to faster OCZ chips.

I've had good experiences with OCZ, but apparently their DDR3 offerings have been abysmal, which is sad to hear because I've had great ram and customer service experiences with them in the past (DDR and DDR2 chips).

4. whiteslashasian

5. daft

daft Senior member

That case looks good. Would be nice if had some vents on the side. My current case is Antec 900 which looks similar to that cooler master; pretty fugly but does the job.

6. whiteslashasian

That case looks good. Would be nice if had some vents on the side. My current case is Antec 900 which looks similar to that cooler master; pretty fugly but does the job.

Assuming you're talking about the FT02, side vents would really impede the convection. Believe me, if the engineers knew it would help keep components cooler, they would have added one; this isn't a budget case.

Tests show that the FT02 cools much better than the Antec P183, HAF 922, and even better than an open bench! Side vents are superfluous in such a case.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

To each his own, but I think that case is hideous.
    Nobody's really going to be looking at it under my desk, but yeah it's more about function than form at a given price point - and it's still prettier than the full-size version, the 932:

[​IMG]

8. whiteslashasian

^ Wow...

Cooler Master has some great products like their 212+ cooler and the Elite 360 Case (really versatile and functional but understated in looks) but that monstrosity needs to be killed with fire.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

It's the direct competition for the Antec nine hundred (and nine hundred two) and is superior to both in terms of noise and heat management. It's widely used by gamers who want to overclock but are in the sub-175$ range for cases. It's a price point thing. I think the 922 looks a lot better than the 932, but I don't really care either way. With the side panel fan on there's not much to choose between it and cases that cost 4 times as much in terms of heat management, and reviews say the noise is minimal compared to Antec cases so I'm down.

Anyway that's in the past. The GPU and ram are still at issue. Strongly leaning towards that Gskill thanks to your endorsement.

10. KenN

KenN Senior member

Go with the 5700 or 5800 graphics card, you get the benefits of DX11 and will have adequate graphics performance for the near future. Blizzard games do not have high graphics requirements (since lower requirements means more players on B-net) so a 5700 will serve you well. But the 5800 is the better card and will keep its value better if you do wish to flip it in the future for an upgrade. Don't get the 5830 though.

11. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Milpool, overclocking gets you more bang for your buck. Plus, it's kinda fun. It's almost like putting a turbo on your naturally aspirated car. [​IMG]

I prefer a cleaner aesthetic and if a large case is needed I would go toward this route:

Same here. I like the Cooler Master ATCS 840 for a nice clean look. The only thing it lacks is a hot-swap bay for SSDs.

12. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I wouldn't buy a monitor from newegg. They've got about the worst return/exchange policy in existence for dead pixels. I think it's something like 8 dead pixels before they'll allow a return. Amazon will usually let you return it for just 1 dead pixel.

13. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I've been looking at FT02 fo a while now, as the FT01. Really nice cases.
    !luc

14. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

I wouldn't buy a monitor from newegg. They've got about the worst return/exchange policy in existence for dead pixels. I think it's something like 8 dead pixels before they'll allow a return. Amazon will usually let you return it for just 1 dead pixel.
    1. I am in Canada so Amazon only sells books and dvds.
    2. Newegg has a 30 day return policy I think, don't even need a reason.
    3. Yeah I'm worried about the dead pixel issue. And somewhat about backlight bleeding. But I'm just going to give it a shot, see what happens... one way another it'll be a lesson learned, in favour of buying online or not.

15. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Milpool, overclocking gets you more bang for your buck. Plus, it's kinda fun. It's almost like putting a turbo on your naturally aspirated car. [​IMG]

Same here. I like the Cooler Master ATCS 840 for a nice clean look. The only thing it lacks is a hot-swap bay for SSDs.

Function and form at it's best, Antec P180:
    [​IMG]

Super quite, super clean, super cool case.

16. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

1. I am in Canada so Amazon only sells books and dvds.
    2. Newegg has a 30 day return policy I think, don't even need a reason.
    3. Yeah I'm worried about the dead pixel issue. And somewhat about backlight bleeding. But I'm just going to give it a shot, see what happens... one way another it'll be a lesson learned, in favour of buying online or not.

NCIX.com is by and large the best internet PC component distributor in Canada.

17. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

^Perhaps, but to buy a refurbished version of this monitor there will cost more than a NIB version at newegg. I dunno, the dead pixed thing might sketch me out enough to buy something a little smaller at memory express instead. If I get this one instead, I lose 1/2 an inch of screen real estate and spend an additional 50 bucks, but I can buy it locally (memory express)
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29582(ME).aspx

There's this one too but I don't know much about BenQ products.
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...27481(ME).aspx

18. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Good place to read about monitors is the hardforum display subforum. I know the 24" BenQs are highly regarded. Not so sure about the larger ones.

19. whiteslashasian

The Antec P18X series was a good one, but is starting to get a tad long in the tooth. I also hate, and I mean HATE, cases with doors. I had a thermaltake aluminum case with a door and I got rid of it as soon as I could. The Cooler Master 840 looks like a nice clean case, but doesn't seem to have quite the interesting features FT02 has, though it does cost a decent chunk of change less.

20. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Years ago I belonged to forums that discussed computers, linux, and other OSs. I must say, the complete absence of juvenile bitchiness I've seen in this thread* is...strangely unfamiliar, considering the subject.

*I've only read parts, but still....