• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wristwatches - Why are brown leather straps acceptable with black dials?

PiperTim

Reaction score
From what I hear, a watch with a black dial and brown leather strap is considered a "classic" look. But I fail to see how this is any different than wearing brown shoes with a black suit or with black pants, which everyone seems to agree should be avoided. Could someone please explain this to me? Why would one be considered acceptable--perhaps even "classy"--and the other frowned upon.

For the record, I agree that one should avoid brown shoes with black clothing.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
The reason is very simple, actually: brown leather will always look richer to the eye than black ever will or can.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a good question. I was trying to explain my friend why I want a nice brown strap for my Speedmaster..but honestly I couldn't explain it.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PiperTim
From what I hear, a watch with a black dial and brown leather strap is considered a "classic" look.

I'm not "in the know", but this is news to me. Actually, I remember many years ago buying a watch at a watch and clock place and we exchanged the black leather strap with a particularly ideal brown one that worked really well with the black face of the watch (is "face" and "dial" referred to as the same?). I definitely recall that it went against standard (and therefore hardly a "classic" look) but as with anything if you can pair the exact right shade and quality then there are exceptions to the rule that therefore look outstandingly sharp.

I'm certainly no expert. I've purchased 2 watches in my entire life. That one when I started college and the Esquire one that I've been wearing for the past decade. The Transformers watch I had as a kid doesn't count.
smile.gif

thenextguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
The reason is very simple, actually: brown leather will always look richer to the eye than black ever will or can.

That doesn't really explain it. The question is why brown/black is an acceptable watch combo, whereas brown/black isn't really acceptable with clothes.

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
I think brown with black is a perfectly acceptable combination. One should exercise caution in choosing what sort of pieces one pairs, but I think it's absurd to say that the combination is forbidden.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
meh to the rules. while i dont do black pants i wear black + brown (e.g. sweater + shoes or vice-versa) all the time.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not have a black suit or or black pants but a black top and brown shoes is ok in my books.

derekzee

Reaction score
black face less dressy than white. brown strap less dresy than black. black suit and brown shoes do not make sense. but i see a lot of people in black glasses, turtleneck, pants, shoes with a brown/ tan sportcoat which looks pretty good. black and orange look good. also black cars with tan leather seats.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I think it depends on the shade of brown on the strap and the shade of black on the dial. Some shades compliment each other really well. Look at the Panerais on cognac straps with black dials. Say what you will about the Panerai look, that combo really pops. The same can be said for brown shoes paired with black slacks.

ScottMan

Reaction score
I've wondered this myself. My "conclusion" is that the face and strap are two very small items compared to trousers and shoes so they clash less. :shrug:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenextguy
That doesn't really explain it. The question is why brown/black is an acceptable watch combo, whereas brown/black isn't really acceptable with clothes.

Brown and black aren't universally unacceptable. In men's clothes they often look odd, but in womens clothing for example they are paired quite frequently, especially when wearing furs or skins which often have both.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the third colour? The rim of the watch being either gold or silver is a completely different look than if it was all black against brown. I imagine this is the reason.

men-s-round-gold-chronograph-brown-face-with-brown-leather-strap-watch-12606027.jpeg

sellahi22

Reaction score
though WIS's call their straps "shoes", the watch case is more analogous to the shoes and the strap to the trousers. Black face, brown strap looks to me like brown pants + black shoes, which is a great look. I wouldn't wear a black strap with a brown face watch however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads