• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I should never have entered Esquire's BDRM contest.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ OffTheRack - even Cravath brought in their first lateral partner (in tax.)

The number of firms who refuse to bring-in laterals has shrunken or altogether disappeared.

Kirkland & Ellis, easily the lead player in private equity, does it all the time - what, that makes them chopped liver?

Sheesh. I think you're stuck in the 80s, broski. Things have changed. A lot. Get with it.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While entirely enlightening, Bull, this thread isn't for you to share all of your knowledge of how Big Law works. No one really cares, even me.

Now let's kick the next verse, Vox sockpuppet!

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
@ lufty: let me clue you in on biglaw secretaries: 1 - There are no hot big law secretaries. The young, hot girls aren't reliable. They'll leave in two years to get a masters in marketing. From university of [big ten college]. And never come back. So all secretaries have been there since the 60s or 70s and can tell you how things were before fax machines. In gory detail. Cuz they were there. 2 - There are one or two exceptions. But you will never (repeat: NEVER) get this secretary. This secretary is reserved for young, hotshot lateral partners who bring a book of business worth $2.5m+ to the firm, i.e. two or three equity funds or Fortune 500 public cos. For a snot-nosed first year associate? Meet Marge. Marge, lufty. Hey Marge! Don't say I didn't warn you
wink.gif

My secretary will make me coffee every morning. Because I'll have to be my own secretary. Because I'll be a solo. Downside - no one to blame for my ****-ups.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
@ OffTheRack - even Cravath brought in their first lateral partner (in tax.)

The number of firms who refuse to bring-in laterals has shrunken or altogether disappeared.

Kirkland & Ellis, easily the lead player in private equity, does it all the time - what, that makes them chopped liver?

Sheesh. I think you're stuck in the 80s, broski. Things have changed. A lot. Get with it.

Not really sure that being the lead player in the private equity legal market is what legal prestige is all about. K&E is a great firm, sure, but not exactly elitist.

Cravath's lone lateral, in TAX, really more of a separate firm at most places rather than a department, is really the exception that proves the rule. I say if a firm has a billable hours requirement and doesn't have lockstep partner and associate compensation, it's a second tier firm. You're absolutely right that the top tier is shrinking, but it's certainly still out there.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I find all this analysis of law firms incredibly stimulating
sarcasm.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
Not really sure that being the lead player in the private equity legal market is what legal prestige is all about. K&E is a great firm, sure, but not exactly elitist.

If you don't consider Kirkland an elite firm, then your notion of "elite" must cover an exceedingly small number of firms. It is telling that in terms of compensation, Kirkland is the only firm aside from Wachtell to pay outsize, above market bonuses.

Originally Posted by OffTheRack
Cravath's lone lateral, in TAX, really more of a separate firm at most places rather than a department, is really the exception that proves the rule. I say if a firm has a billable hours requirement and doesn't have lockstep partner and associate compensation, it's a second tier firm. You're absolutely right that the top tier is shrinking, but it's certainly still out there.

Whether a firm has an official billable hour requirement is hardly a measure of anything when they all have de facto requirements anyway. Also, the vast majority of Vault 100 firms pay lockstep compensation. What universe are you coming from?

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL ok. If we're talking about the highly subjective and meaningless world of "elitism," then fine. But K&E poaches partners from elite institutions all the time, just like they poached Skadden NY's two lead M&A guys last year, just to do it.

Elitism is 80s ****. Catholic social clubs and Episcopalian social clubs and mint jelup. Rack of lamb and pissing on redwoods and secret handshakes and ****. Phooey. The 2000s are about $. It's about the guys who weren't invited to the party showing up with a model on each arm, and throwing the keys to the Panamera to the valet.

Personally, I can see the allure of elitism, but I could give a **** about such elusive, squishy criteria. The dollar bill doth not lie.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's about the guys who weren't invited to the party showing up with a model on each arm, and throwing the keys to the Panamera to the valet.

For sheer d-baginess, you're my new favorite poster. Keep'em coming!!

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to interrupt you marsupials as you lollygag over office crap nobody else cares about, but did you notice there was a cat in the sky? Seriously...that's next level.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Vox,

Any way you could edit your post and change "Brutha" to "Broski" or "Broheim"? Bull will like that.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this outside your office? I can see your taste in decore as you used the fancy curtain ties on her pole.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Yo, yo, yo, yo! Brutha!
PamAnderson2XPS_850x704.jpg
That ain't no forty, chump. - B

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics