• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Oppo doesn't need anyone to hype their products. You would be hard-pressed to find negative reviews for any of the products they currently have on market or have ever offered. Dollar for dollar they are the best out there by far.
True dat. I have a $3.5K CD player Sony SCD-777ES and the Oppo 83 at $499 competes with it on a SACD basis and possibly exceeds the CD quality (of course my player is 10 years old and digital moves fast).

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wilkins Micawber
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin + iPod Classic. All I'll ever need.

A great small system in my opinion. I just could not get used to listening to compressed music. I hope you are doing at least Apple Lossless.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cartoon-stereo.jpg

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those vintage Marantz's sound terrific. Only problem is that they weigh a crap ton, and that's even without the wood cabinet. I had the 2270 for a while before it crapped out on me (another problem with vintage equipment). I lost the patience to really work with them, so I have a new Marantz receiver now that handles all my CD/DVD/HDMI stuff. Very happy with it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Do you get a stipend for every time you mention Oppo? The guy posts a Marantz 2235 and you suggest a BluRay player. WTF?
So what? If it is good advice then it is good advice. How often does someone mention Aldens, Rubinacci, or APC on SF.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run a mint Marantz 2285 through a Rotel CD player into Kef 103.2s. I'll occasionally pop a record onto my Thorens TD165. I really love my setup.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went over to Saturday Audio and they had a range of both new and used stuff. At this point I'm just looking for a tuner, two speakers and maybe a CD player, although I can just use my DVD player for that right now, unless that's a major no-no (it's a cheap Toshiba SD-6100 upscaling to 1080p).

They suggested:

1) A Harman/Kardon tuner - the HK 3370 - used for $149 -- just doing some basic research online it looks like it's a decent price, but maybe not such a good system. Any thoughts?

For speakers, either:

2) PSB B15s (bookshelf size speakers) for about $300 new (being discontinued)

or

3) taller PSB T45 (also new) for around $400

My preference would be for the smaller speakers, just because they would be less obtrusive, and the room is not amazing for audio to begin with (but it's what we have to work with for now).

Any thoughts on their initial suggestions? I'll probably go back on Thursday and browse some of the other offerings they have in-store.

Thanks!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
So I went over to Saturday Audio and they had a range of both new and used stuff. At this point I'm just looking for a tuner, two speakers and maybe a CD player, although I can just use my DVD player for that right now, unless that's a major no-no (it's a cheap Toshiba SD-6100 upscaling to 1080p).

They suggested:

1) A Harman/Kardon tuner - the HK 3370 - used for $149 -- just doing some basic research online it looks like it's a decent price, but maybe not such a good system. Any thoughts?

For speakers, either:

2) PSB B15s (bookshelf size speakers) for about $300 new (being discontinued)

or

3) taller PSB T45 (also new) for around $400

My preference would be for the smaller speakers, just because they would be less obtrusive, and the room is not amazing for audio to begin with (but it's what we have to work with for now).

Any thoughts on their initial suggestions? I'll probably go back on Thursday and browse some of the other offerings they have in-store.

Thanks!

PSB T45 - Yes.

Harmon Kardon receiver - No.

PSB B15 - No.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
PSB T45 - Yes.

Harmon Kardon receiver - No.

PSB B15 - No.

Thanks.

Are you opposed to bookshelf size speakers in general, or just don't think the B15 is a good value?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Thanks.

Are you opposed to bookshelf size speakers in general, or just don't think the B15 is a good value?

You are very welcome. Bookshelfs are fine and PSB is a terrific brand. I just like the T Series better.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you already have a receiver and just looking for a separate AM/FM tuner?

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Do you already have a receiver and just looking for a separate AM/FM tuner?

No, I'm starting from scratch, want something with an AM/FM tuner and am working within a pretty tight budget. Seems like a tuner is the best bet, even if the quality won't be quite as good for the price v. separate receiver/tuner.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
No, I'm starting from scratch, want something with an AM/FM tuner and am working within a pretty tight budget. Seems like a tuner is the best bet, even if the quality won't be quite as good for the price v. separate receiver/tuner.
Look at NAD and Rotel for a reasonable cost and excellent sounding receivers/amps. Cambridge Audio as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads