• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it ok to root for a sports team if you have no ties with that city?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
MLS-Whenever NYC gets an MLS Team (Red Bulls don't count)

Why not? Solid ownership backing, amazing new stadium....sounds like the perfect team to support.

The only non LA team I support is FC Barcelona. I have no specific ties to the city, but when I started following soccer in earnest, this was the team I chose to support.

I will continue to support them and only them for the rest of my life.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
So, let's say you have no ties to NYC, whatsoever. Is it okay to be a Yankees fan instead of a fan of your local team? Same with Boston and the Red Sox, New England and the Patriots, Dallas and the Cowboys and so on.

Well, is it?

i live in costa mesa. absolutely no ties with Los Angeles currently. all my immediate family lives in outer cities like simi valley (where i originally came from), fullerton (where my wife is originally from), pomona, and other cities.

however i root for the Lakers. i dont see no cops coming to take me away anytime soon.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And my college teams are:
NCAA B-Ball-Louisville & Depaul
" Football-Michigan and USC(Tailback U)
And I didn't atten any of those schools...

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Root for over other teams? Sure. Support over your own city/geographical region's team? Absolutely not.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a Detroit Red Wings fan. I've never lived there.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

however i root for the Lakers. i dont see no cops coming to take me away anytime soon.

I just called them. Look out.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Rules for Being a Fan - Bill Simmons (see: Loyalties section)

I've used these rules countless times to ridicule friends of mine whose loyalties are questionable. I understand random allegiances when you grew up in a town without a major sports team. However, if your formative sports fan years were spent in a town with a major sports team, you better have a damn good reason to not support them. Frankly, most people in this situation don't have a good reason.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
I just called them. Look out.

uhoh.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I've used these rules countless times to ridicule friends of mine whose loyalties are questionable. I understand random allegiances when you grew up in a town without a major sports team. However, if your formative sports fan years were spent in a town with a major sports team, you better have a damn good reason to not support them. Frankly, most people in this situation don't have a good reason.

Haha...I have a buddy ~age 27 who is a fan of the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Cowboys, and Seattle Mariners. He totally cops to rooting for them because they were good when he was a kid.

I tease him for it, but to his credit, he continues rooting for them in spite of their overall shittiness in the 2000's.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i say yes for pro teams simply because they don't give a **** about us. those cocksuckers will move a team if they need to (re: seattle supersonics) so where should loyalties lie? do you have to be a thunder fan now if you're in seattle? players don't give a **** and follow the cash, too. i say root for whoever you want to. then again, i've never lived in a city with a major sports team, so what do i know?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a homer even though it is difficult at times.
blush.gif

If you legitimately root for a team, take an interest in them, follow them, become at least passably conversant in them, etc. (as long as said team isn't a douche magnet: Patriots, Eagles, Redskins, Cowboys, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Cubs, Lakers) its ok.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's no way in hell I'd ever root for the 49rs. Steve Young, Joe Montana, and Dwight Clark can be dead, buried and ultimately have their monuments turn to dust over the eons and I would still never root for them.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you root for the Cowboys or Patriots and aren't local you deserve to have your teeth kicked in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads