• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it ok to root for a sports team if you have no ties with that city?

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
If you're an American, you shouldn't be allowed to wear a soccer club's supporter scarf.

Football, you American hating elitist bastard.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Yankees fan. Being from NC, I had no local team. Going to school in upstate New York, I got games for two teams: Yankees and Mets. I liked the history of the Yankees, Ruth, Gehrig, Yogi, so many more... And the Mets had ugly ass uniforms. In other words, almost completely arbitrary. It's proved to have been a wise choice.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caring about any professional sports team, or any team you are not actually on or know personally for that matter, has never made any sense to me.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Caring about any professional sports team, or any team you are not actually on or know personally for that matter, has never made any sense to me.

It's social entertainment. Humans are social creatures, we tend to like being part of a larger whole. And being part of a community of fans is a social experience, and being emotionally invested in a game makes it much more interesting and entertaining.

There's actually a whole lot of scholarship out there on that one question.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

say this sentence in a monotone, robotic voice.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
It's social entertainment. Humans are social creatures, we tend to like being part of a larger whole. And being part of a community of fans is a social experience, and being emotionally invested in a game makes it much more interesting and entertaining.

There's actually a whole lot of scholarship out there on that one question.

+1

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, I say no. You should root for a team from your geographic area.

My teams:

NFL: Giants
NBA: Nets (until they move to Brooklyn, then **** them.)
NHL: Devils
MLB: Mets
MLS: Red Bulls

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you came by it honestly, it's generally OK, but you're not allowed to switch loyalties. When I was a kid growing up in Baltimore, I was a Broncos fan. We didn't have a team, and it seemed like the Broncos were always on late because they switched to that game when Elway was engineering another 4Q comeback. I rooted for them for years, through good times and bad, until the Ravens came to town and I finally had another team to root for. I especially loved living in SF and rooting vociferously against the Raiders twice a year
smile.gif

But under no circumstances are you allowed to "decide" on an alliance to the Yankees or Red Sox if you are older than 10 years old.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Why not? Solid ownership backing, amazing new stadium....sounds like the perfect team to support.

I grew up playing in the boroughs...there is some real rich American soccer history here (Met Oval, Brooklyn Italians, FIAO, Elephtheoria - Con Ed Field, Downing Stadium (spelling on that one my Greek friends), BW Gotchee, etc...) and the fact that the MLS put a team in Jersey was a slap in the face. I have former teammates playing with Red Bull NY but I refuse to support them.

But this thread intrigued you enough to read, AND post in.
confused.gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I grew up playing in the boroughs...there is some real rich American soccer history here (Met Oval, Brooklyn Italians, FIAO, Elephtheoria - Con Ed Field, Downing Stadium (spelling on that one my Greek friends), BW Gotchee, etc...) and the fact that the MLS put a team in Jersey was a slap in the face. I have former teammates playing with Red Bull NY but I refuse to support them.

confused.gif

so shouldn't the NJ Jets and NJ Giants move the New York? At least the NJ Nets are planning to....LOL

being born in boston and growing up in RI I was born into the New England Sports Teams, but living in NYC for the past years I always wanted to find a local team to cheer for... its hard though.. because I despise the Yankees, Giants, and Jets... the Mets, Rangers, and Knicks are well on the fringe because they all have given my New England Teams *********** past too...

I might take the gamble and buy a Knicks season ticket package on the off chance of watching lebron 41 games, but that would be like watching a bull fight in spain, where you're just kinda waiting for something special to happen (guy getting gouged to death, guy making ballet escapes) with no rooting interest.

maybe i'll become a redbulls fan... probably a mets fan (because tix can be bought for cheap still whenever).. damn it would be fun to have a MLS team in Queens/Brooklyn. It would be like the team in Seattle.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And what, there is no rich American soccer history in New Jersey? Cosmos didn't play in New Jersey? The only thing that's a slap in the face about it is that NJ taxpayers paid for a good part of that stadium, and the team is still called Red Bull NY. There's nothing NY about that team. But there is also no reason why NY deserves a soccer team more than NJ does.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and as a young baseball player, I idolized the Pirates because I could go see the games, and they did all sorts of community outreach with the little league teams etc. I hated it when they lost, loved it when they won, and hated the Braves. But I didn't really understand why.

Then the strike happened in 1994(?) and I totally lost interest. I could appreciate the game on an academic, strategic level, but the outcome never meant anything to me.

So I have been interested in sports teams before, but I still didn't understand it. And the topic does intrigue me.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
so shouldn't the NJ Jets and NJ Giants move the New York? At least the NJ Nets are planning to....LOL

maybe i'll become a redbulls fan... probably a mets fan (because tix can be bought for cheap still whenever).. damn it would be fun to have a MLS team in Queens/Brooklyn. It would be like the team in Seattle.

They should move back to NY, like the LONG ISLAND Nets are. i also kinda hope the Isles move into that arena in Brooklyn, would be great, and they'd get lots of support as its so easy to get to, unlike the Mausoleum.

A Brooklyn/Queens team would be GREAT, lots of local support.

As for the Knicks tickets...i wouldn't hold my breath for Lebron, no one wants to play for D'antoni, he's just a dick to his players.

Originally Posted by odoreater
And what, there is no rich American soccer history in New Jersey? Cosmos didn't play in New Jersey? The only thing that's a slap in the face about it is that NJ taxpayers paid for a good part of that stadium, and the team is still called Red Bull NY. There's nothing NY about that team. But there is also no reason why NY deserves a soccer team more than NJ does.

Agreed on the Red Bull NY part...but as far as the Cosmos, thats recent man...the history in NY goes back to the immigrant communities that started teams 100 years ago that are still around. The Met Oval was the ultimate old school soccer experience. So is Downing Stadium on Randall's Island. I know that there are a few Jersey teams, but the NYC Teams have a history like the Yankees, while the Jersey team is more like the Mets (coming from a Met fan here).

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and as a young baseball player, I idolized the Pirates because I could go see the games, and they did all sorts of community outreach with the little league teams etc. I hated it when they lost, loved it when they won, and hated the Braves. But I didn't really understand why.

Then the strike happened in 1994(?) and I totally lost interest. I could appreciate the game on an academic, strategic level, but the outcome never meant anything to me.

So I have been interested in sports teams before, but I still didn't understand it. And the topic does intrigue me.

I hear you, cool about the Pirates...thats whats great about pro teams in smaller markets, they can get to such a higher % of their fan base.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^

Shouldn't you be watching your boys fight for fourth?

I have the game on right in front of me while I polish shoes.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am as well...not liking what I see so far, too much Arsenal possession.

It's ok - Flapianski's in goal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads