• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

FRAIS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevinbrownshakedown
I don't think the leather is actually better leather, but it is specially treated for a preworn look/feel. In any case, it does seem to feel nicer as a result.

I own the brown versions and they are suede... I can do without the non-laces/slip on design but they are comfortable as hell .... and its not like its ALOT more ... just a couple of extra bucks

FRAIS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
SO over in WAYWT JackM got some flak for copying a look out of the J. Crew look book. I tried to come to his defense, but you can imagine how that went over. Anyway, it got me curious... how many of you take ideas straight from the catalog or look books, etc.? I do this all the time. I see combinations (colors, styles) etc in the catalogs and previews that I might not have thought of and use them.
just saw the post on WAYWT, it really isnt that serious... he matched a colored shirt with white jeans that happen to be in the JCrew look book ... WHO CARES ... its a classic look

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get a lot of my inspiration from j.crew's magazines and other places on the internet, and if someone says they dress without being influences by anything, that's just bs.

a-rock

Reaction score
I thought the nitpicking at the guy for the lookbook look was silly. It's a warm weather shirt with white jeans. Not exactly stealing the Colonel's secret recipe. Gawd forbid catalogs start pairing things with blue jeans - then we're really screwed. This is just my perception, but anal SWD guy (no one in particular, but just a generalization of some of the more hardcore clotheshorses) can identify white vs washed white vs wheat jeans (and probably owns a pair of all three because to him they're different). He can identify the origin of a shirt by its buttons and notices how people roll their sleeves. Honestly to 95% of the public, we all dress alike. However this person would have a cow if you said, didn't I see that outfit in XYZ? Noooo... in fact, the jeans were a different wash and shoes were completely different! But, someone else wearing a JCrew shirt with jeans in not the same exact color and different shoes is a blatant rip off. To me it's less about originality as it is mall brand backlash in general.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes. Well said.

+1000

I don't understand the JCrew hate. It's a good brand with quality clothes with a wide range of fits and sizes that work for a variety of men. If you buy JCrew clothes you are gonna look like a JCrew "model." It's the same if you buy any brands clothes, you are gonna look like the pictures they have to sell you the clothes. Who cares?

I do admit I feel a little funny when I walk into a store wearing a shirt and notice they have the same shirt up on display right next to me.
lol8[1].gif

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
+1000

I don't understand the JCrew hate. It's a good brand with quality clothes with a wide range of fits and sizes that work for a variety of men. If you buy JCrew clothes you are gonna look like a JCrew "model." It's the same if you buy any brands clothes, you are gonna look like the pictures they have to sell you the clothes. Who cares?

I do admit I feel a little funny when I walk into a store wearing a shirt and notice they have the same shirt up on display right next to me.
lol8[1].gif

people hate it because it's too easily accessible

snobs don't want to see average people out on the street wearing the same things they are

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur

snobs don't want to see average people out on the street wearing the same things they are

Typically there are not that many differences between the look and cut of brands to be able to tell anyways, unless they logo it.

But, yes you are right.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
+1000

lol8[1].gif

Yeh, happens to me all the time. Sometimes when I walk into J. Crew I feel like they should pay me for modeling the best of the season.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly
logos are much worse
nothing worse than seeing huge A+F labels across a shirt

The only logo I will sometimes do is Polo by RL if it's subdued enough. And only because I can find really nice RL shirts in my fave vintage shop. Picked up a great gingham l/s RL the other day. The pony's purple, but meh. The shirt fits great. It's in their custom-fit line which is nice and slim.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly
logos are much worse
nothing worse than seeing huge A+F labels across a shirt

The only logo I will sometimes do is RL if it's subdued enough. And only because I can find really nice RL shirts in my fave vintage shop. Picked up a great gingham l/s RL the other day. The pony's purple, but meh. The shirt fits great. It's in their custom-fit line which is nice and slim.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
The only logo I will sometimes do is RL if it's subdued enough. And only because I can find really nice RL shirts in my fave vintage shop. Picked up a great gingham l/s RL the other day. The pony's purple, but meh. The shirt fits great. It's in their custom-fit line which is nice and slim.

Lacoste log is also pretty subdued, but I am with you on that. Probably the only logoed things I own are Lacoste and Polo.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur

J Crew isn't as popular as say A&F and Hollister.
I never see anyone wearing J Crew. At least here in California.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads