• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kindle?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
got a kindle, love it. loaded like 200 books.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i'm thinking of buying the DX, which is the larger version (9.7") for textbooks and such:

kindle-dx-2.jpg

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one and I really do love it. If you travel a lot, they are especially great.

The problem with the iPad is that it just is not as pleasant to read as an eInk screen.

I do recognize, however, that the whole eReader concept is a temporary one, and someone (maybe Pixel Qi?) will develop a screen that can be used either to read long text or as a computer screen.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
yeah i'm thinking of buying the DX, which is the larger version (9.7") for textbooks and such:

kindle-dx-2.jpg

I had a DX for a week. It's too heavy to hold comfortably for a long time and if you were hoping to read documents full screen, the screen is just a touch too small
frown.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
I go before girl's Kindle. She loves it. But, she's eying the iPad quite lasciviously.

kindle is for reading. Reading on an lcd screen is not pleasant over long periods of time. Apple is trying to sell it as an all-in-one device but for people that actually want to read more than a few pages at a time, a kindle is a far superior choice if that's what you're buying it for.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
kindle is for reading. Reading on an lcd screen is not pleasant over long periods of time. Apple is trying to sell it as an all-in-one device but for people that actually want to read more than a few pages at a time, a kindle is a far superior choice if that's what you're buying it for.

Be that as it may, I have a hard time justifying a Kindle purchase when the iPad is out there. The iPad can do so much more, and because it has a massive developer ecosystem, the basic feature set will be constantly improved at a rate much faster than a single company can make improvements.

Not an Apple fanboy here, so let's get that out of the way before someone inevitably accuses me of it. Even still, the iPad just seems like a better investment. One device (Kindle) is purely an e-reader. The other device is perhaps not as great of an e-reader, but it's a good one and will get better. Meanwhile, it's also excellent at thousands of other uses, thanks to the App Store.

Finally, when considering investing in either device, you have to consider which one is more likely to survive the ensuing competition -- and thus, to be supported in the future. My money's on the iPad in this race.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Be that as it may, I have a hard time justifying a Kindle purchase when the iPad is out there. The iPad can do so much more, and because it has a massive developer ecosystem, the basic feature set will be constantly improved at a rate much faster than a single company can make improvements.

Not an Apple fanboy here, so let's get that out of the way before someone inevitably accuses me of it. Even still, the iPad just seems like a better investment. One device (Kindle) is purely an e-reader. The other device is perhaps not as great of an e-reader, but it's a good one and will get better. Meanwhile, it's also excellent at thousands of other uses, thanks to the App Store.

Finally, when considering investing in either device, you have to consider which one is more likely to survive the ensuing competition -- and thus, to be supported in the future. My money's on the iPad in this race.

Listen, i'd happily consider an ipad for home/HT control and reading forums on the couch while i'm watching tv, or in the kitchen to watch video recipes on, but LCDs are **** for reading if you have to read for any length of time. The whole reason e-ink was developed was because pretty much everyone acknowledges that fact.

People that want a toy will no doubt get an ipad. People that are actually heavy readers will get a kindle or some other device that uses e-ink. I don't understand why apple fanboys get all pissy as soon as someone suggests that the latest device can't do everything as well as steve jobs says it can.

And no, it's not going to become a better device over time as far as being an e-reader is concerned because it will always be using the same LCD display. Will other aspects of it improve? Probably.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Not an Apple fanboy here, so let's get that out of the way before someone inevitably accuses me of it.

+

I don't understand why apple fanboys get all pissy as soon as someone suggests that the latest device can't do everything as well as steve jobs says it can.

=
facepalm.gif

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I had a DX for a week. It's too heavy to hold comfortably for a long time and if you were hoping to read documents full screen, the screen is just a touch too small
frown.gif

damn, really? what'd you end up doing with yours? wanna sell it?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
damn, really? what'd you end up doing with yours? wanna sell it?

depending on how badly you want one, there's a color e-ink kindle that's supposed to be coming out this year. Will be perfect for textbooks imo.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's exactly what i need it for. i haven't heard anything about it though. i've been itching to order a kindle dx for two months now but have been holding off, because i know the damn thing will drop significantly in price now that the ipad is out or so you'd think, anyway

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen, i'd happily consider an ipad for home/HT control and reading forums on the couch while i'm watching tv, or in the kitchen to watch video recipes on, but LCDs are **** for reading if you have to read for any length of time. The whole reason e-ink was developed was because pretty much everyone acknowledges that fact.

I'm the farthest thing from an Apple fanboy, but a little genie called the WSJ brought to my attention a curious note:

Meanwhile, the iPad uses back-lit liquid-crystal-display technology for its screen, which can light up in a dark room and is in color. Apple says the color iPad screen also uses a new display technology called "in-plane switching" to solve another common problem with LCD screens: the inability to see it from an angle. "You can hold it almost any way you want and still get a brilliant picture, with excellent color and contrast," claims Apple's product description.

So far, there's little scientific evidence about which screens are better for the eyes. Ophthalmologists say there isn't really much of a difference between how the eye works with either e-paper or back-lit screens. Neither could damage the eye and neither of these modern screens flicker like old-fashioned TVs.

Michael Marmor, a professor of ophthalmology at Stanford Medical School who has a Kindle at home, says neither technology offers inherent advantages. Reading with both kinds of screen could cause eyestrain because it has relatively little to do with the function of the eye, he says. Eyestrain is caused by placing too much stress on the brain and body by doing one thing for too long. The only solution for eyestrain is taking more regular breaks
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...445033542.html

BTW, the reviews I've seen all rave about the iPad's ability as an e-reader. Maybe testing one yourself before voicing out next time?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I'm the farthest thing from an Apple fanboy, but a little genie called the WSJ brought to my attention a curious note:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...445033542.html

BTW, the reviews I've seen all rave about the iPad's ability as an e-reader. Maybe testing one yourself before voicing out next time?

It isn't even a question for me - the kindle is just a million times more pleasant to read a long book on. It is nothing about which might be better for your eyes, it is just what is more comfortable. This is after I spent the day reading a book on an iPad.

That being said, if you aren't a voracious reader who is just interested in reading books, I'd get an iPad - it will be better for newspapers and other purposes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads