Kindle?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by CTGuy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

got a kindle, love it. loaded like 200 books.

2. oman

oman Senior member

yeah i'm thinking of buying the DX, which is the larger version (9.7") for textbooks and such:

[​IMG]

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I have one and I really do love it. If you travel a lot, they are especially great.

The problem with the iPad is that it just is not as pleasant to read as an eInk screen.

I do recognize, however, that the whole eReader concept is a temporary one, and someone (maybe Pixel Qi?) will develop a screen that can be used either to read long text or as a computer screen.

4. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

yeah i'm thinking of buying the DX, which is the larger version (9.7") for textbooks and such:

[​IMG]

I had a DX for a week. It's too heavy to hold comfortably for a long time and if you were hoping to read documents full screen, the screen is just a touch too small [​IMG]

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I go before girl's Kindle. She loves it. But, she's eying the iPad quite lasciviously.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I go before girl's Kindle. She loves it. But, she's eying the iPad quite lasciviously.

kindle is for reading. Reading on an lcd screen is not pleasant over long periods of time. Apple is trying to sell it as an all-in-one device but for people that actually want to read more than a few pages at a time, a kindle is a far superior choice if that's what you're buying it for.

7. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

kindle is for reading. Reading on an lcd screen is not pleasant over long periods of time. Apple is trying to sell it as an all-in-one device but for people that actually want to read more than a few pages at a time, a kindle is a far superior choice if that's what you're buying it for.

Be that as it may, I have a hard time justifying a Kindle purchase when the iPad is out there. The iPad can do so much more, and because it has a massive developer ecosystem, the basic feature set will be constantly improved at a rate much faster than a single company can make improvements.

Not an Apple fanboy here, so let's get that out of the way before someone inevitably accuses me of it. Even still, the iPad just seems like a better investment. One device (Kindle) is purely an e-reader. The other device is perhaps not as great of an e-reader, but it's a good one and will get better. Meanwhile, it's also excellent at thousands of other uses, thanks to the App Store.

Finally, when considering investing in either device, you have to consider which one is more likely to survive the ensuing competition -- and thus, to be supported in the future. My money's on the iPad in this race.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Be that as it may, I have a hard time justifying a Kindle purchase when the iPad is out there. The iPad can do so much more, and because it has a massive developer ecosystem, the basic feature set will be constantly improved at a rate much faster than a single company can make improvements.

Not an Apple fanboy here, so let's get that out of the way before someone inevitably accuses me of it. Even still, the iPad just seems like a better investment. One device (Kindle) is purely an e-reader. The other device is perhaps not as great of an e-reader, but it's a good one and will get better. Meanwhile, it's also excellent at thousands of other uses, thanks to the App Store.

Finally, when considering investing in either device, you have to consider which one is more likely to survive the ensuing competition -- and thus, to be supported in the future. My money's on the iPad in this race.

Listen, i'd happily consider an ipad for home/HT control and reading forums on the couch while i'm watching tv, or in the kitchen to watch video recipes on, but LCDs are shit for reading if you have to read for any length of time. The whole reason e-ink was developed was because pretty much everyone acknowledges that fact.

People that want a toy will no doubt get an ipad. People that are actually heavy readers will get a kindle or some other device that uses e-ink. I don't understand why apple fanboys get all pissy as soon as someone suggests that the latest device can't do everything as well as steve jobs says it can.

And no, it's not going to become a better device over time as far as being an e-reader is concerned because it will always be using the same LCD display. Will other aspects of it improve? Probably.

9. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Not an Apple fanboy here, so let's get that out of the way before someone inevitably accuses me of it.

+

I don't understand why apple fanboys get all pissy as soon as someone suggests that the latest device can't do everything as well as steve jobs says it can.

= [​IMG]

10. oman

oman Senior member

I had a DX for a week. It's too heavy to hold comfortably for a long time and if you were hoping to read documents full screen, the screen is just a touch too small [​IMG]

damn, really? what'd you end up doing with yours? wanna sell it?

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

depending on how badly you want one, there's a color e-ink kindle that's supposed to be coming out this year. Will be perfect for textbooks imo.

12. oman

oman Senior member

that's exactly what i need it for. i haven't heard anything about it though. i've been itching to order a kindle dx for two months now but have been holding off, because i know the damn thing will drop significantly in price now that the ipad is out or so you'd think, anyway

13. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

Returned it :|

14. whacked

whacked Senior member

Listen, i'd happily consider an ipad for home/HT control and reading forums on the couch while i'm watching tv, or in the kitchen to watch video recipes on, but LCDs are shit for reading if you have to read for any length of time. The whole reason e-ink was developed was because pretty much everyone acknowledges that fact.

I'm the farthest thing from an Apple fanboy, but a little genie called the WSJ brought to my attention a curious note:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...445033542.html

BTW, the reviews I've seen all rave about the iPad's ability as an e-reader. Maybe testing one yourself before voicing out next time?

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I'm the farthest thing from an Apple fanboy, but a little genie called the WSJ brought to my attention a curious note:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...445033542.html

BTW, the reviews I've seen all rave about the iPad's ability as an e-reader. Maybe testing one yourself before voicing out next time?

It isn't even a question for me - the kindle is just a million times more pleasant to read a long book on. It is nothing about which might be better for your eyes, it is just what is more comfortable. This is after I spent the day reading a book on an iPad.

That being said, if you aren't a voracious reader who is just interested in reading books, I'd get an iPad - it will be better for newspapers and other purposes.