• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
This is a poorly shot teaser of what you'll soon be seeing.

93fd380b.jpg

DAMN... that's special and could be VERY special depending on pics...

vinasity

Reaction score
What do you guys think about suits made by Today's Man? They have two gray suits at a local thrift shop that are made in England in a size 41S. One is super 100's and the other is a wool and cashmere blend. The quality looks pretty nice and they only cost $12 if anyone is interested I can go back and buy them.

mystillwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
What do you guys think about suits made by Today's Man? They have two gray suits at a local thrift shop that are made in England in a size 41S. One is super 100's and the other is a wool and cashmere blend. The quality looks pretty nice and they only cost $12 if anyone is interested I can go back and buy them.

i think the SF 'terms of service' we agreed to when we joined the forum said we have to hate them.
devil.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
From the look of the size I would say 9.5E rather than C.

Originally Posted by Nataku
Still in a slump, but I actually found something to buy today to make the trip worthwhile. Not my size, but I've heard people talk good about Hanover shoes here and being in the condition they were in, I just had to grab them. I'm no shoe expert, but I'm pretty sure these are not shell due to the tiny creases in the leather. Still, looks like they were only worn once or twice. Sz 9 1/2 C

DSC09732.jpg

Originally Posted by mainy
Alan, I wish it was all at my house
plain.gif
This is the time of year that thrifting gets dreadfully slow, and borderline not worth the time.

http://i44.tinypic.com/28j9q85.jpg

nwot oxxford jacket
recent jpress madras jacket
turnbull asser shirt
loro piana shirt
hickey freeman tie
turnbull asser tie

not picture: vintage north face down coat, some AE's, pair of alden tassel loafers that need some polishing, plus the sunglasses i posted a couple pages back

And yet you post that picture to tease me. Six thrift stores today and nothing. I was wearing my pebble grain Alden chukkas, though, so it's really hard to complain too much. Nice finds.

vinasity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
i think the SF 'terms of service' we agreed to when we joined the forum said we have to hate them.
devil.gif

Yeah that's what I figured because everything I have seen from them has been pretty crappy. I didn't know that they had there suits made in England though, I wonder who makes them?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
From the look of the size I would say 9.5E rather than C.
I didn't really know which one to go with since there is a E / C. I went with C because they don't look or measure wider than ny normal width, which is a D. I don't know why they printed both E and C.

mystillwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
Yeah that's what I figured because everything I have seen from them has been pretty crappy. I didn't know that they had there suits made in England though, I wonder who makes them?

don't tell anybody but if i found one the i liked and fit me well, i'd buy it for 12 bucks and post it on the waywn thread and say it's a Brioni or something.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't really know which one to go with since there is a E / C. I went with C because they don't look or measure wider than ny normal width, which is a D. I don't know why they printed both E and C.

Typically the first is the heel and the second the footbed.

BBC

Reaction score

Hanover like Nettleton used combination lasts with the heel width coming second. Your shoes are unquestionably "E" at the ball of the foot and "C" heel width. That said, some of the older shoe companies "E" width was not particularly wide relative to contemporary "D" width, which can sometimes make it difficult to have a perfect fit with vintage shoes.

As for my own thrifting today, nothing spectacular, but did find a dark blue (not quite navy) Southwick 2B suit with pleated trou.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Companies varied as to which number was put first. I think it's a good rule of thumb that the wider letter size is the footbed, the narrower the heel.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I left a pair of RM Williams boots, worn once, size 12G, $90 in a Cary, NC GW, (Kildaire Farm Rd and TenTen). Not a bad deal if you can use them.

Oh, I wish you had gotten them.
ffffuuuu.gif

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the favorite thrift on Friday and found Canali double breasted tux size 46L looks to be worn once from the absence of piss stain in the gleeming white pants interior. The thrift had separated the pants from the jacket and after marvelling at the new jacket I scoured the pants rack and found them.

Also found three 100% cashmere Ralph Lauren Polo suits in grey chalk stripe sb, olive db and charcoal single breasted. All were 43R. I grabbed the olive double breasted, it is luxurious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads