• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama's leather jacket

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Her body shape is not easy to dress well. If Obama actually made an effort, he could dress far better than Michele.
michelle-obama-shorts.jpg

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
2nd great depression, alot of tough talk on 'the rich' etc is going to fall badly if he is seen to live in such a way. Also its pretty obvious he wants to appear as 'common' as possible.
Interesting theory, but can you provide pictures of his casual clothing immediately prior to running for President that support this? I am willing to bet it is no better than what we see today-- e.g. dad jeans, polos, etc. Also, why would they go to such efforts to make him dress poorly, yet let allow Michele to man the soup kitchen at a homeless shelter while wearing Lavins?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No what I'm saying is that they ddn't want him to change - that those dad jeans etc that's all well calculated. If I was a politician running on the working class, change, fairness etc then I would do the same. It wouldn't be hard for him to get custom suiting / shirting, some decent shoes, but that's obviously not the image wanted.

In Australia we had a politician, literally left office almost 20 years ago, who is still ridiculed for dressing well. He had a really good tailor, one that Sator used to use.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
No what I'm saying is that they ddn't want him to change - that those dad jeans etc that's all well calculated. If I was a politician running on the working class, change, fairness etc then I would do the same. It wouldn't be hard for him to get custom suiting / shirting, some decent shoes, but that's obviously not the image wanted. In Australia we had a politician, literally left office almost 20 years ago, who is still ridiculed for dressing well. He had a really good tailor, one that Sator used to use.
Makes sense that they would not bother to redo his casual wardrobe for the reasons you state. But I'm still curious why all the image advisers think it's ok for Michele to wear expensive clothing so often. It is actually noticed since the media has often written articles which point out the likely cost of her items. One thought is that it's generally accepted for a woman to dress nice, but men whom do so are not normal. It is quite obvious there's a lot of fear on this forum of getting called out by one's peers for dressing too well. Thus all the love for workwear looks that scream an almost anti-fashion vibe.

Murdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
****. he was stylish when he was young. what happened?

He decided he wanted to be president and started to dress down for the old men; though why he doesn't have anything that fits either is a little odd, again, maybe this is to down play his well maintained physique.

In Australia we had a politician, literally left office almost 20 years ago, who is still ridiculed for dressing well. He had a really good tailor, one that Sator used to use.
I still think a lot of people do the same thing for Trudeau out here in canada as well.

Basically if you want to be the leader, don't display yourself being superior to the common man in every single way; why do you think Bush jr. did so well?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
...One thought is that it's generally accepted for a woman to dress nice, but men whom do so are not normal. It is quite obvious there's a lot of fear on this forum of getting called out by one's peers for dressing too well. Thus all the love for workwear looks that scream an almost anti-fashion vibe.
Originally Posted by BB1
The younger Obama photos reminds me of the young vs. old Steve Jobs photos posted in the MC forum last year. Jobs used to wear dandy looking clothing that fit well, while today he wears nothing but dad jeans...
I agree with both of these posts a lot. Wearing fashion type stuff and dressing differently, as a male, gets you called out in most circles and a whole lot of normal situations where it shouldn't matter at all what you are wearing. The idea that men should suppress their own identities, and to ignore their fashion knowledge, in order to fit in with their peers is ridiculous... But it's so pervasive. The last time I was going for a job interview (I happened to be home for spring break,) my mom suggested I go out and buy some relaxed fit Dockers and buttondown from JC Penney because "that's what they think looks good" and that they "won't understand why you would want to wear a MTM shirt" The idea that you need to wear their ****** uniform to gain respect is a ridiculous notion. I personally think that everyone who knows how to dress well, should, and should try their hardest to inspire others who are afraid of dressing well to maybe realize that other people are just venting their own insecurities about the way they look when they see someone who is evidently quite secure in their own appearance. I think Obama should dress better, sloppy is not a good look for the executive of the USA. What ever happened to the idea that leaders were supposed to be well dressed and awe-inspiring? When you have the president dressing like your average Wal-Mart shopper, you're not making any special connections with the blue collar population, you're a Harvard lawyer and the "most powerful man in the world," to try to fool them into thinking they're like you in any way is just disrespectful. @Murdoc: Leaders should display themselves as being superior, maybe not in every single way... But it's true to say that Obama, like him or not, is more intelligent, more important, wealthier, and loads more powerful than your average American. Royalty used to dress baller, why does our "current royalty" dress peasant?

axe

Reaction score
Politicians are talking heads, they are designed to be as bland as possible.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the first interesting SW&D thread in over a year. Congratulations and keep it up.

Murdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
@Murdoc: Leaders should display themselves as being superior, maybe not in every single way... But it's true to say that Obama, like him or not, is more intelligent, more important, wealthier, and loads more powerful than your average American. Royalty used to dress baller, why does our "current royalty" dress peasant?

I couldn't agree more, but in a democracy, or at least North American democracy(and apparenltly Austrailia) the public says one thing and votes another.

Speaking of both America and Canada, you talk toa nyone and they want the leaders to be well spoken and dignified, but like any famous person they want to see a human being and someone down on their level. If they aren't on their level, the people become resentful and want to see the person taken down a peg or too.

Also, consider the economy at the moment, if the president is slumming around in home in super expensive clothing, may send the wrong message. The same goes for even stuff that fits him; he' looks pretty athletic and flaunting it would make the average person resentful.

It's dumb, I know, but I think that's one motive for the ******, ill fitted clothing.

cjmorris21

Reaction score
I don't think that Obama dresses Presidential or Statesman like at all. I have seen him on television on numerous occasions wearing a button down shirt without a tie. How hard would it be to throw a ******* tie on just for a few moments while you are addressing the media and the public? I have never seen a President wear a tie so seldomly as Obama. He is also one of the first President's I noticed wearing jeans.

__CB__

Reaction score
Aside from his suits which are sharp but fairly conservative, maybe Obama just doesnt have much interest in fashion? Unlike Michelle, who like most women are into clothes and (if they have the means) will wear whatever the hell they want.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As President he should never been seen outside of a suit. He doesn't have to wear extravagantly expensive clothing, but some made in America suits would be nice.

Anybody know what kind of jeans he's wearing? Are they produced in China or some other sweatshop?

Narwhale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Her body shape is not easy to dress well. If Obama actually made an effort, he could dress far better than Michele.

michelle-obama-shorts.jpg

I think I have those J. Crew shorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads