• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
I think L&L has perfected what I see as "masculine" in a jacket with MM's jacket.

If one were to extrapolate to the muscles beneath, MM's bicep/tricep - deltoid/trapezius -pectoralis complex is very pleasing to the eye and masculine in presentation. The more openly cut quarters accentuate this even further. It is almost like the fishmouth notch point the eyes towards this comples. This is truly art in clothing.

Yours B., the deltoid/trapzezius is a little small proportionally and less delineated relative to the other two groups of muscles. Subtle, but as a part of the whole it makes a difference [to these eyes anyway].

- M

Would you be able to masturbate as eloquently were MaoMao to all of a sudden reveal that the jacket was some MTM effort from China?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Would you be able to masturbate as eloquently were MaoMao to all of a sudden reveal that the jacket was some MTM effort from China?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
L1002834.jpg
822779487_6H67G-O.jpg

Northern Italian (Milanese) RTW on the right...mid 1990s Luciano Barbera for Louis, Boston.

MM looks like he has a longer torso, with the breast pocket very low and buttoning point high on his jacket, even considering differences in body proportions. In comparison to the Barbera, it looks like someone stretched the middle part of the jacket from the gorge to the tops of the hip pockets, and moved the buttons up a bit. Bespoke fit vs. RTW perhaps to better suit his proportions?

That said, I like it. It looks kind of slouchy and soft in comparison, too, and the shoulder/sleeve cap area looks awesome.

--Andre

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by the commentary. Everyone: please continue.

- B

I will ask Hans and Fritz for some sartorial Denazification of this thread.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if this is what is meant by sleeve pitch, but the angle formed by the seam between the shoulder and chest piece seems quite a bit more tilted from the vertical in maomao's coat than in the other comparison coats. I suppose that's also a result of the more extended shoulder?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I don't know if this is what is meant by sleeve pitch, but the angle formed by the seam between the shoulder and chest piece seems quite a bit more tilted from the vertical in maomao's coat than in the other comparison coats. I suppose that's also a result of the more extended shoulder?

I noticed that, too, but I don't think that's sleeve pitch. Here's an explanation with some pictures of sleeve pitch:

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000184.html

If you imagine the sleeve swinging forwards and backwards as you view a jacket from the side, the pitch is the angle where the sleeve will hang.

--Andre

mth

Reaction score
Mao, that's a really nice finished product. Look forward to seeing your other projects from Liverano as they're completed.

Cornellian

Reaction score
Great pictures, and great coat. Thanks for sharing!

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
Mao, is the shoulder more extended than some of your other jackets? If so, is it a new direction for you or is it the style of L&L?

I do have other jackets with extended shoulders and they are all Neapolitan in origin, Kiton, Panico comes to mind. I must say I prefer this style as it gives the illusion of a tapered waist without having to actually cut a very close fitting jacket that may be uncomfortable.

L1002834.jpg
822779487_6H67G-O.jpg

Northern Italian (Milanese) RTW on the right...mid 1990s Luciano Barbera for Louis, Boston.

- B

Other than bespoke fit versus OTR fit, the main difference to me is in the overall roundness of the Liverano versus the more angular cut of the Milanese jacket. In my view, the liverano jacket has a lot of Northern Italian details, but executed in a Southern Italian, relaxed way.

Originally Posted by srivats
You have to remember that one is bespoke and one is RTW.

But yes, maomao's jacket looks really really nice - it is more "maomao's" than "Liverano's". I like this far better than any other italian jackets posted in the forum (including MBT/rubinacci).

We spent quite a bit of time discussing how to make the jacket for me. On areas where we agree for example, both Antonio and I wanted to cut the lapels wider, but for different reasons. He thinks the wide lapel helps to balance the wider chest, while for me, I wanted wide lapels to balance my wider face. We both wanted to have front and back drape for movement. We also had ideas the other did not think of, for example I made very specific requests to have no padding for the shoulders at all, and Antonio was very specific on where the button point should be, despite my initial doubt. I think the input from both the customer and the tailor was able to make this a very personal commission. I still look like me in this jacket, and there is no mistake, from the details and execution, that this is a Liverano jacket as well.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
Backlash will be forthcoming momentariliy.

10 pages and no backlash yet, is SF growing more patient?

Originally Posted by fritzl
noice.

update on the shoes?

Will be ready in the summer. When they are finished, will update the thread.
smile.gif

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's compare something really different:

L1002834.jpg
mhd5iw.jpg

- B

On the right, the headless, late Elliot Richardson.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Will be ready in the summer. When they are finished, will update the thread.
smile.gif

thanks for not forgetting the shoe geeks
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Other than bespoke fit versus OTR fit, the main difference to me is in the overall roundness of the Liverano versus the more angular cut of the Milanese jacket. In my view, the liverano jacket has a lot of Northern Italian details, but executed in a Southern Italian, relaxed way.

I really like your L&L jacket, as I noted in my first post in this thread. And I've also enjoyed the lark of putting up the Saint Andrews next to it. The comments have been fascinating.

The L&L is superior in nearly every way. I do think some of the comments comparing the two go a little overboard in the sense that some of the differences attributed cut and make seem to me to be more differences of fabric (mine apparently being much thicker) and how we are standing in the photos (I am, of course, more robotic.)

The solitary thing that I does not wow me about L&L is how the sleeves fall. Your example shows what has struck me in other photographs:

823487841_fW46J-L.jpg

If I didn't know the makers and I only saw the sleeves, I would have to say that the Saint Andrews shows more finesse and desirable shape.

Otherwise, your jacket is really swell. I look forward to seeing more of your L&Ls as you have them made up.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads