• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there still a need to buy expensive/exotic/erotic denim?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
My KMW's are starting to look faded and they're becoming my more casual jeans, so I wanted to buy a new pair for more clean/formal looks. So, I went to UNIQLO, and picked up a raw pair in a perfect fit for about 30 USD. Before, I bought my Lee's, LVC, Imperials, Nudies, finally KMW looking for the perfect fit, because unless I bought those expensive brands, I couldn't have gotten what I was looking for. Now, I have probably 7 pairs of jeans from UNIQLO in all colors I could ever need in the exact fit I want, and I think I paid under 30 USD for each of them, in fact, some were around 15 USD. I don't think I'll buy another pair of $275 jeans, because it's become so available in the general market these days. Anybody else feel the same way?

(this is all redacted in the event my new jeans explode after wearing them for a month)

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I could shop at Uniqlo.
frown.gif
The only reason for my last expensive denim purchase (3Sixteen 210s) was it was black coated indigo jeans, and I couldn't find that at a cheaper price. As long as jeans fit good and look good, I don't give a damn about hidden rivets/little details etc. that make the jean alot more expensive. it's just raw indigo to me.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Wish I could shop at Uniqlo.
frown.gif

+1

While I do appreciate the little details that high end denim offers, it's just not that important to me. I've also been buying less denim lately and getting into trousers/slacks more compared to when I first joined SF so it's saved me some coin. Despite all this, I've never been disappointed with any of my higher-end denim purchases.

c00kz

Reaction score
Dunno. Fit is usually one factor of three for me. The other two are craftsmanship/materials/longevity and versatility. How much I shell out is usually raised or decreased by how well whatever I'm interested in stacks in those three categories. I can go to H&M and everything fits but I don't buy anything because the lifetime of the garment is seriously in weeks and the fabric is uncomfortable.

Exclusivity and "details" usually up it for me but I don't need limited edition out of production japan released etc that bad

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time I need a new pair of jeans, I'm going to try on all the cheap mass-market brands (e.g., Gap, Levis) to see whether there's something well-fitting and attractive that doesn't cost hundreds. I like the great fading you can get with expensive Japanese jeans, but I'm not convinced that they're significantly more durable than cheap-ass jeans. My Iron Hearts, by virtue of their sheer weight, have proven pretty tough, but my other premium jeans have thinned out as fast as any pair of Old Navy jeans I ever wore.

Wupper

Reaction score
I have several Nudies which fit great and faded nicely but I had a crotch rip in most of them within 9-12 months. Especially got this problem with Slim Jim's. I think they're great looking jeans but not worth the price.

Around 1,5 years ago I bought some €35 ZARA jeans which look and fit almost the same as the SJ's. Absolutely no crotch rip issues or whatever, nice fading and all. They are my favorite pair of jeans at the moment and worth every cent. No way I will ever buy a pair of jeans for €150 again. It's a waste of money.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gap selvage doesn't have the character of the Japanese denim I like (neither does Spurr or other expensive brands, for that matter) - no clue if Uniqlo's is similar.

I prefer repro cuts, the mass market selvage tends to be lower rise and skinnier.

To be really honest, I'm happy only having one or two pair of jeans instead of 7 - I don't need 'more formal' looks and it saves me space.

If someone had the same criteria (fit, quality, look, etc.) as you, then I'm sure Uniqlo/etc. would make perfectly acceptable stand-ins as they've done for you. But that's not why everyone buys the expensive/exotic/erotic denim.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've gone the opposite route... I started out with getting uniqlo jeans and at that time and I happily discovered that they do fit me better than other mall branded jeans out there (zara, gap, etc..). then I started 'experimenting' with more expensive brands to see what the sf hype is all about (apc, earnest sewn) and they do wear better than the uniqlos I had, whom after maybe a year or so of wearing is starting to lose its shape. I got to buy a pair of kmw's on sale and yeah, they are levels above uniqlo in terms of fit, color, everything... of course them being expensive stops me from buying as much pairs as I really want.

darkdream

Reaction score
I prefer quality jeans (I wash mine every-time I wear them) so if they are poor quality they fade and wear out fast. Not to mention the fit is better on premium jeans.

c00kz

Reaction score
Why do you wash your jeans after every wear.. ?

Yeah, I'd like to echo the sentiment that jeans three times the price are not necessarily three times more durable, at all, I hope people don't think that's how it works.

bimmernate

Reaction score
I buy about one expensive pair a year now. I used to be buying up expensive jeans only. Now I don't see any reason to. The new Gap fits are great for 65 lol

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
My KMW's are starting to look faded and they're becoming my more casual jeans, so I wanted to buy a new pair for more clean/formal looks. So, I went to UNIQLO, and picked up a raw pair in a perfect fit for about 30 USD. Before, I bought my Lee's, LVC, Imperials, Nudies, finally KMW looking for the perfect fit, because unless I bought those expensive brands, I couldn't have gotten what I was looking for. Now, I have probably 7 pairs of jeans from UNIQLO in all colors I could ever need in the exact fit I want, and I think I paid under 30 USD for each of them, in fact, some were around 15 USD. I don't think I'll buy another pair of $275 jeans, because it's become so available in the general market these days. Anybody else feel the same way?

(this is all redacted in the event my new jeans explode after wearing them for a month)

It is silly.
There are so many Levis nowadays. I have at least 10 pair I wear regularly. I'd be upset without that variety.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno about things myself.

If I am going to buy a "WEAR THIS! Awesome denim!" jean, it's going to be something pricey. But right now, I am really wanting to branch out a bit, pants wise, so buying new denim isn't really what I need right now. If I get a decent job this summer I'll probably take a trip to BiG and buy myself something nice. I mean if I look at the jeans I have now...

Ande Grifters - Skinny, seriously faded
Nudie SJDJ - Slim straight (sized up), semi faded
Nudie Thin Finn Dry Black Coated - Super skinny, semi-shiny
Levi's 510 Raw - Super skinny, very dark
Cheap Monday Brushed - Super skinny, light and streaky
RRL Raw Slim Fit - Slim, very dark, my "dressy (lol)" denim.

Personally, I have all I need. Ande Whalls are my main pair, but even then I only wear them 2-3 times a week nowadays. I like to mix things up more. I am missing a pair of grays, but I just haven't decided yet and am not seriously missing it. There are more important things my wardrobe is missing (brown brogues, cuban heels, a decent sweater, etc.)

I almost don't want the responsibility of fading a new pair! Half the problem is just with school though, I'm in the lab 2 days a week and although I've never had a big spill... The last thing I need to do is ruin a pair of $200+ jeans by spilling some acid on my jeans.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no longer looking at the most expensive jeans out there. There was a time when I'd always bee looking at the highest end stuff (in terms of price), but I've settled somewhere in the "middle," on the $150-225 (at retail) jeans.

Now that nice jeans have largely taken the place (at least in NY, Chicago and LA) of nice slacks for men my age (mid 20s), they are no longer a novelty item, but rather a wardrobe staple. When I used to buy slacks, I wouldn't go into the highest end shop possible and buy $700 slacks (or even $300 slacks), so why do that with jeans?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads