• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable Shoes for suits? reccomend?

rjt65

Reaction score
Ok having been out of th suit wearing job for the last 10 plus years (moved to sports jackets casual etc) I am looking at getting back into mgmt consulting-- so traditional suits--

Will be resulting in mostly traditional darker colored suits navy pinstripes, navy, charcoal grey etc...

I used to wear Johnston murphy---

I am large dude 48 L 38 pant--- 240 lbs with high arch 12 reg size shoes. lot foot issues so i am particular last 10 year son shoes getting good cushion sneakers, lands end comfort mocs for casual wear etc....

so i ma worryign bout the foot pain going back to dress shoes---

so what to wear with j press brooks suits? Will get the suits first than looka t shoes was planning to look at rockport dress shoes, cole haan, etc,....

any suggestions?

wanting black, cordovan, one lace another loafer type, ..maybe dark chestnut brown too ?

3 pairs enuf? what other brands do people like?

thoughts?

I want it all comfort and looks!! running thru airports and such --dinners etc means long day in em
musicboohoo[1].gif
-

thanks!!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
please rephrase question in english

+1

rjt65

Reaction score
okkkkkk

so:

1) what are some recommended brands of shoes that look good and are comfortable to match with grey, navy, charcoal dark suits

2) how many pairs if wearing all day-night 4-5 days per week Iam thinking 3 pairs to start..

thanks

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjt65
okkkkkk

so:

1) what are some recommended brands of shoes that look good and are comfortable to match with grey, navy, charcoal dark suits

2) how many pairs if wearing all day-night 4-5 days per week Iam thinking 3 pairs to start..

thanks

You need a minimum of 2-3 pairs. The more shoes you have the longer each of them last. How much in total you want to spend on each pair?

rjt65

Reaction score
100-150$ range per pair.

but if i put on a pair that was looking good and felt like wearing slippers -I might go higher!

Originally Posted by onix
You need a minimum of 2-3 pairs. The more shoes you have the longer each of them last. How much in total you want to spend on each pair?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok having been out of th suit wearing job for the last 10 plus years (moved to sports jackets casual etc) I am looking at getting back into mgmt consulting-- so traditional suits--

Will be resulting in mostly traditional darker colored suits navy pinstripes, navy, charcoal grey etc...

I am large dude 48 L 38 pant--- 240 lbs with high arch 12 reg size shoes. lot foot issues so i am particular last 10 year son shoes getting good cushion sneakers, lands end comfort mocs for casual wear etc....

so what to wear with j press brooks suits? Will get the suits first than looka t shoes was planning to look at rockport dress shoes, cole haan, etc,....

any suggestions?

wanting black, cordovan, one lace another loafer type, ..maybe dark chestnut brown too ?

thoughts?

I want it all comfort and looks!! running thru airports and such --dinners etc means long day in em
musicboohoo[1].gif
-

thanks!!

Based on how you type, I would urge you to reconsider your career choice, or at least cut back on the booze before you decide which shoes to buy.

12XU

Reaction score
Look at Ecco shoes. I find them to be very comfortable for all day wear. Be careful though, they seem to have downgraded in recent years to mfg in China and the quality isn't as good as the Slovenia made shoes. The nicer ones are closer to $200 but again, really lightweight, comfortable, and hold up well to daily wear. E.g. I have these (on sale right now as I think they are discontinued):

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2890244?...:referralID=NA

I don't know what the rules are but I wear these with a suit all the time.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 12XU
Look at Ecco shoes. I find them to be very comfortable for all day wear. Be careful though, they seem to have downgraded in recent years to mfg in China and the quality isn't as good as the Slovenia made shoes. The nicer ones are closer to $200 but again, really lightweight, comfortable, and hold up well to daily wear. E.g. I have these (on sale right now as I think they are discontinued):

Ugly unserviceable junk.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You need to do some searches on here for shoes. You will not find any love for the brands you mention. You will find better shoes to be more comfortable if you get the right fit. At the lower end of good shoes, look at Allen Edmonds as mentioned. Since you seem familiar with Brooks Brothers, you may want to look at Peal and Co. when on sale.

Originally Posted by 12XU

Square-toed Ecco loafers with a suit?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok.
Translation: Hello wise and venerable StyleForum denizens I grovel at your feet for I am not worthy of the wisdom you may grant me.
having been out of th suit wearing job for the last 10 plus years (moved to sports jackets casual etc) I am looking at getting back into mgmt consulting-- so traditional suits--
Translation: I am now consulting after being laid off and need to look nice as I cultivate prospective clients.

Translation: This field will require me to dress more traditionally than I have in the past.

Translation: Non-sequitur brand mention.

Translation: I am overweight and have foot pain issues for which I wore casual shoes with high arch supports.

Translation: My mother is worried about foot pain issues.

Translation: What kind of crappy shoe should I wear because I have never heard of a cushion insole such as the famous Dr. Scholls recommends?

any suggestions?
Translation: I do not like to make decisions. Please instruct me on what to do.

thoughts?
Translation: Translation: I do not like to make decisions. Please instruct me on what to do.

musicboohoo[1].gif
-
Translation: These shoes must be all purpose, low cost, fashionable and suddenly I no longer care about comfort so shoes with broken glass in the bottom are fine as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads