• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sulka

Reaction score
Sulka is a little before my time, but a lot of people that i know in the industry still talk about Sulka. Was very highly regarded in its day. Enough people still talk about it that i think the "brand" will reemerge but it's just a name now.

L.Soam

Reaction score
That is great!!! How can I get hold of him? Thanks sooo much for all the kind assistance, much appreciated! By the way...why did Sulka close down..seems quite bizarre looking at the quality of the pieces!?

Ed355

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, there was at one time a ton of NWT Sulka stuff on sale from the same collector - shirts, pajamas, scarfs, ties, belts, jackets, silk robes - all reasonably cheap. I picked up several NWT silk PJs for $50 each. I think there are a lot of Sulka collectors out there.

L.Soam

Reaction score
Would you perhaps know how I could get a hold of this collector by any chance? Appreciate the help!

waltoninn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thc
Sulka was started by Amos Sulka in the early 20th century and is now known for traditional and very expensive menswear. Sulka is quality stuff. At one point Sulka had stores in San Francisco, New York, London & Paris. However the conglomerate which owns Sulka, The Richemont Group, decided to shut down Sulka earlier this year due to changing tastes and lowered demand for the type of clothing it produced. There was an article about Sulka's closing in the NY Times--if I find it, I'll provide the link.

They also had a store in Chicago on Oak Street, where I bought a nice briefcase that was made in Italy.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by waltoninn
They also had a store in Chicago on Oak Street
pgsulka1.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
60's Sulka.

The silk knit is just under 2" wide.

......44.jpg

waltoninn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
pgsulka1.jpg

That is the store! From where did you get the picture? Do you live in Chicago? I used to go in that store on occasion, and when I saw the briefcase I bought in the window, I kept thinking about it for a few days and I finally called them and bought it.

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine brought me a Sulka shirt (light blue with a white contrast collar) and a white linen hankie from San Francisco (to Finland) in 1998. That was my first more expensive piece of clothing; I got the idea from Alan Flusser's Style and the Man. Those good old days...

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sulka makes nice stuff.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Alex Kabbaz's grandmother was a Sulka shirting designer in the '30s.

January 1932 adv.
pastpresent_2094_790545925

Dingo

Reaction score
Twenty years ago I bought a Sulka tie in London. It was navy blue with irregular shaped white spots. The tie was perfectly constructed and had an additional band of stitching where the tie would run through the collar of the shirt.

Sadly, it was destroyed when the suitcase it was in was ripped open by some careless airline baggage handlers. I mourn the tie still.

I check eBay occasionally for new old stock but have not had much success.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the two different Sulka stores they had in San Francisco. The first was quite small but had beautiful ties and pocket squares as well as an elegant older gentleman that looked a bit like W. Churchill. They had an edited assortment of things that were clearly classic and the best. Later they moved across the street and expanded adding more jazzy things. It was different. It closed down after a while.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sulka was great but even they weren't right all the time. I was shocked to find this in the Dormeuil archives last week;

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sulka was sort of the reason I became interested to move to Chicago. Met the president of Sulka in Dallas and they were looking to do bespoke from the Chicago store. They were offering in house bespoke at most of the other stores. Flew me to Chicago 3 or 4 times to make a suit for the store manager, inspected the suit and made me an offer I could easily refuse. Moved to Chicago on my own and hired their tailor. He worked with me for about a year. Think some of their old signage is still on a building front on South Michigan Ave from their hey day in Chicago before Oak St. When they closed here the store became Dunhill ( same owners) and it quickly closed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads