• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this look alright?

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
And you have terrible taste.

And you are a closet homosexual.

No one is going to mistake me for this guy, unlike yourself:

Anal%20Retentive%20Chef.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blown01NJ
I feel like squared off shirts look marsupialed untucked. Im gonna take off the blazer at some point too. Ive worn tapered shirts untucked a billion times. So do tons of other people I know. Squared off button ups untucked always create that tenting and make you look fat. All slim fit shirts I have are tapered.
What the **** are you talking about? 'Squared-off' refers to the shape of the bottom edge of the shirt, being shorter and horizontal instead of longer and curved; 'squared-off' and 'tapered/slim fit' are not mutually exclusive...
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
This looks awful and affected. If you want to look like an uptight homosexual, nail this look.
Oh, do
ffffuuuu.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
And you are a closet homosexual.

No one is going to mistake me for this guy, unlike yourself:

Anal%20Retentive%20Chef.jpg

Two things.

1) I am not offended by your comparisons to Phil Hartman.

2) It's easy to be an armchair critic in anonymous internet land. Man up and and post in WAYWRN.

Happy Christmas to you, Sir.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone called "butterflystyle" is trying to insult people by saying they are teh ****?
facepalm.gif

ITGER

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with PG's outfit per se. I think butterflystyle has an issue with PG's stance, which does admittedly look a bit uptight. Saying that it's homosexual is uncalled for though.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im confused.
confused.gif

Is that sarcasm or what?

Epic sarcasm to be precise.

Denim: start over with something much darker and straight legged. the bell's + garden chore wash contrasts too severely when trying to pair it with an odd jacket.

Shirt: Its not a camp style shirt, why is it untucked?

Jacket: I'm not sure what's going on with the jacket, but it seems to be a mashup between a dinner jacket (jetted grosgrain accents) and military jacket (flap enveloped style pockets with HUGE buttons).

Presuming you like the jacket, and can explain what it is aiming to be, then the sleeves should be taken up at a minimum.

But I'd suggest starting over. This look is unfitted, contrasting in a bad way, and basically sloppy. It doesn't represent the best look you can achieve.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Someone called "butterflystyle" is trying to insult people by saying they are teh ****?
facepalm.gif

Methinks Mr. Butterflystyle is a hockey fan. See, e.g., Butterfly Style.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Methinks Mr. Butterflystyle is a hockey fan.

See, e.g., Butterfly Style.

Thanks for clearing that up. Still, when you post as butterflystyle on Style Forum....

SlamMan

Reaction score
I love reading all the over the top criticisim. Especially fom people who have never posted a picture of their own.

The OP looks way ahead of 99% of the general population and likely looked as good or better than most people he'd run into wearing it.

There's good advice in this thread. Brown shoes, darker jeans and a tucked shirt would make for a much better outfit. If you resolve to not buy anything black from now on you'll be a lot better off too.

NeverFullyDressed

Reaction score
I think it looks okay as a standard going out attire, say pubs or clubs. The sleeves are not too short, in fact they should end at the joint of the thumb. Some people prefer shorter sleeves as a preference because they can show more cuff then. I think the jacket is too short in length as it ends pretty high up, but then Hugo Boss and others do fashion cuts which mean a shorter drop jacket. I agree with others that the jeans are too long, but the colour is not problem. The shoes look a little too formal when paired with this jacket and the tucked out shirt though, perhaps you ought to wear some canvas pumps and have a more informal look all round.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to echo a lot of the posts in here with a quote I learned a long time ago from most Italian designers and stylists: "black shoes are appropriate for weddings and funerals."

If it's for this time of year, depending on where you're located, you might even want to consider going with a boot, in ox blood I'd recommend.

Depending on where you're going determines how you're dressing.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Two things.

1) I am not offended by your comparisons to Phil Hartman.

2) It's easy to be an armchair critic in anonymous internet land. Man up and and post in WAYWRN.

Happy Christmas to you, Sir.

1)I'm comparing you to the anal retentive chef, not the god known to mortals as Phil Hartman.

2)The next time I post in WAYWRN I will need to shrink to 5'8, be dressed like I'm on my way to the ballet, and have just had a suit made at Huntsman. All three are losing propositions (Except perhaps the suit made at Huntsman though I far prefer Boateng)

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
Epic sarcasm to be precise.

Denim: start over with something much darker and straight legged. the bell's + garden chore wash contrasts too severely when trying to pair it with an odd jacket.

Shirt: Its not a camp style shirt, why is it untucked?

Jacket: I'm not sure what's going on with the jacket, but it seems to be a mashup between a dinner jacket (jetted grosgrain accents) and military jacket (flap enveloped style pockets with HUGE buttons).

Presuming you like the jacket, and can explain what it is aiming to be, then the sleeves should be taken up at a minimum.

But I'd suggest starting over. This look is unfitted, contrasting in a bad way, and basically sloppy. It doesn't represent the best look you can achieve.

This is right on, and constructive. I think the jacket is not all bad, but you need better jeans and a less sloppy overall look (tuck in, jeans the proper length, turned up or good denim that will stack).

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black cotton H&M blazer with light blue button up, jeans and black shoes. This work? The blazer is off the rack and hasnt been adjused, although it fits pretty well. Might take the sleeves up a bit if anything.

blazer.jpg

I call you "L'il Butty the Button Boy". I look at you, L'il Butty, and see at least 17 buttons before I needs must turn my head.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads