1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Does this look alright?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Blown01NJ, Dec 24, 2009.

1. NeverFullyDressed

NeverFullyDressed Senior member

I think it looks okay as a standard going out attire, say pubs or clubs. The sleeves are not too short, in fact they should end at the joint of the thumb. Some people prefer shorter sleeves as a preference because they can show more cuff then. I think the jacket is too short in length as it ends pretty high up, but then Hugo Boss and others do fashion cuts which mean a shorter drop jacket. I agree with others that the jeans are too long, but the colour is not problem. The shoes look a little too formal when paired with this jacket and the tucked out shirt though, perhaps you ought to wear some canvas pumps and have a more informal look all round.

2. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I'm going to echo a lot of the posts in here with a quote I learned a long time ago from most Italian designers and stylists: "black shoes are appropriate for weddings and funerals."

If it's for this time of year, depending on where you're located, you might even want to consider going with a boot, in ox blood I'd recommend.

Depending on where you're going determines how you're dressing.

3. butterflystyle

butterflystyle Senior member

Two things.

1) I am not offended by your comparisons to Phil Hartman.

2) It's easy to be an armchair critic in anonymous internet land. Man up and and post in WAYWRN.

Happy Christmas to you, Sir.

1)I'm comparing you to the anal retentive chef, not the god known to mortals as Phil Hartman.

2)The next time I post in WAYWRN I will need to shrink to 5'8, be dressed like I'm on my way to the ballet, and have just had a suit made at Huntsman. All three are losing propositions (Except perhaps the suit made at Huntsman though I far prefer Boateng)

4. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Epic sarcasm to be precise.

Denim: start over with something much darker and straight legged. the bell's + garden chore wash contrasts too severely when trying to pair it with an odd jacket.

Shirt: Its not a camp style shirt, why is it untucked?

Jacket: I'm not sure what's going on with the jacket, but it seems to be a mashup between a dinner jacket (jetted grosgrain accents) and military jacket (flap enveloped style pockets with HUGE buttons).

Presuming you like the jacket, and can explain what it is aiming to be, then the sleeves should be taken up at a minimum.

But I'd suggest starting over. This look is unfitted, contrasting in a bad way, and basically sloppy. It doesn't represent the best look you can achieve.

This is right on, and constructive. I think the jacket is not all bad, but you need better jeans and a less sloppy overall look (tuck in, jeans the proper length, turned up or good denim that will stack).

5. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

Black cotton H&M blazer with light blue button up, jeans and black shoes. This work? The blazer is off the rack and hasnt been adjused, although it fits pretty well. Might take the sleeves up a bit if anything.

[​IMG]

I call you "L'il Butty the Button Boy". I look at you, L'il Butty, and see at least 17 buttons before I needs must turn my head.

6. Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ Senior member

What the fuck are you talking about? 'Squared-off' refers to the shape of the bottom edge of the shirt, being shorter and horizontal instead of longer and curved; 'squared-off' and 'tapered/slim fit' are not mutually exclusive...

Oh, do [​IMG]

Yea I know what it means. Squared off shirts look dumb as fuck untucked. You'll look like that old retard in forgetting Sarah Marshall with the Tommy Bahama.

I may swap the blazer for the same one in grey. It was only 70 bucks.

7. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 Senior member

Yea I know what it means. Squared off shirts look dumb as fuck untucked. You'll look like that old retard in forgetting Sarah Marshall with the Tommy Bahama.

First off, I think it would be more beneficial if you swapped the blazer for some manners. You're not going to get any kind of response in this forum with a post like that. Secondly, just return that blazer. It's a mismatch of styles and looks horrible, not to mention the fact that it just doesn't fit. Anywhere. Your jeans are too long, and that style is at least 5 years old. Black shoes? No, don't even wear black shoes unless you're going to a wedding or a funeral. Get some brown shoes / loafers / boots. What about a belt, or a watch, etc? There's so much wrong here, I don't even know where to begin, and quite frankly with the attitude you've displayed in your posts, I just don't want to help.

You know what? Forget it. That outfit looks great.

8. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

9. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

1)I'm comparing you to the anal retentive chef, not the god known to mortals as Phil Hartman. 2)The next time I post in WAYWRN I will need to shrink to 5'8, be dressed like I'm on my way to the ballet, and have just had a suit made at Huntsman. All three are losing propositions (Except perhaps the suit made at Huntsman though I far prefer Boateng)
    1) Your comparison still fails to offend. 2) So, do it.

10. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

First off, I think it would be more beneficial if you swapped the blazer for some manners.

This.

Also, take heed, butterflystyle.

11. SuitedNBooted

SuitedNBooted Well-Known Member

I think the blazer looks really good. Some people will like it and some won't, but it's meant to look the way it does. In particular, the sleeves are intentionally long, you can tell by how they hug the forearms and taper out at the cuff. Altering them would be pretty much ruin the look. Also the blazer length is as intended. Overall I would say the fit is great. Quality-wise, H&M are obviously not that good given their ultra-low price-point, but in terms of style they can be surprisingly close to designer brands.

Your jeans are ok but they could be slimmer, that would go better with such a fashion-forward blazer. Same for the shoes, something more sleek and pointy would go better although what you are wearing is passable.

As for the tucked/untucked debate, I find that it depends on both the shirt and the jeans. A tapered shirt should be tucked in with low-rise jeans, and left out with regular-rise. A non-tapered shirt should never be tucked in, but then it can sometimes look awkward under a blazer. I'm almost certain your jeans are regular rise, personally I would leave the shirt untucked.

Hope this helps..

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

2)The next time I post in WAYWRN I will need to shrink to 5'8, be dressed like I'm on my way to the ballet, and have just had a suit made at Huntsman. All three are losing propositions (Except perhaps the suit made at Huntsman though I far prefer Boateng)
    In other words you're scared to post because you dress like shit so you're making excuses?
    And an untucked long shirt makes you look like every 18-21 year-old kid who hasn't learned to dress himself properly yet...

13. CaesarSTL

CaesarSTL Senior member

This thread is almost evenly split of half lol and half sad moments, and that is not exclusive to the OP. [​IMG]

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

They arent square toes. The blazer buttons look like regular black buttons to me :shrug: but I dont know, thats why I asked.

Whatever the shoes are, you need to upgrade them! Spend some money on quality shoes and any outfit gets an auto-upgrade.....and women notice! Ditch the "college bar" shoes and get some serious loafers or laceups!
    As for the outfit, nothing special at all in my opinion!

15. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Squared-off in this context does not refer to baggy Hawaiian-style shirts.

16. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

It's not bad, try tucking in the shirt with a nice accenting belt. The blazer s just a bit to nice to be worn otherwise.

17. BillyMaysHere!

BillyMaysHere! Senior member

First off, I think it would be more beneficial if you swapped the blazer for some manners. You're not going to get any kind of response in this forum with a post like that. Secondly, just return that blazer. It's a mismatch of styles and looks horrible, not to mention the fact that it just doesn't fit. Anywhere. Your jeans are too long, and that style is at least 5 years old. Black shoes? No, don't even wear black shoes unless you're going to a wedding or a funeral. Get some brown shoes / loafers / boots. What about a belt, or a watch, etc? There's so much wrong here, I don't even know where to begin, and quite frankly with the attitude you've displayed in your posts, I just don't want to help. You know what? Forget it. That outfit looks great.
    This, minus the black shoes comment, there's a reason black leather is the default preference among most groups (yes, even many of the stylish). They go with pretty much everything, they look much better at night (brown's not exactly the best night colour IMO), they like all tones of shoes have their appeal, and what else are you going to wear with black clothing (yes, even outside of weddings and funerals, say, a night on the town. But yes, generally +1.

18. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

This, minus the black shoes comment, there's a reason black leather is the default preference among most groups (yes, even many of the stylish). They go with pretty much everything, they look much better at night (brown's not exactly the best night colour IMO), they like all tones of shoes have their appeal, and what else are you going to wear with black clothing (yes, even outside of weddings and funerals, say, a night on the town.
    Black doesn't go with everything, IMO black is terrible with blue and brown - and denim.
    Brown looks fine at night...though I'm not even sure what you mean by "night color", since all colors disappear/vanish when it gets dark.
    Black works best with black