• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before SF where did you learn the "rules?"

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have regularly seen posts on the various fora that indicate the poster having had an understanding of various pedantic rules for years and years. For example: "I've thought it a sin to wear bluchers with a suit since I was 25, 50 years ago, but seeing this picture makes me re-think my position..." This may be a rather pedestrian example, but you get the point.

So I ask: where did you learn the minutea of dressing before these boards existed? I have always read books about style and studied being properly dressed, but it numbs my mind to think of the "rules" that I didn't know until joining the online menswear community a few years ago. I think most posters are in a similar boat, but some of you obviously knew a great deal about all of this long ago. How did some of you guys get so knowledgeable in the first place?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just copied what I saw the homeless wearing nearby. They always looked so comfortable and carefree.

baseball_guy

Reaction score
Maybe someone should start a rules thread. Only one I remember is something about not wearing white pants after labor day. Have no idea why someone would make that rule.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was completely oblivious. Went from high school straight into a military academy for college, and just got out of the Army, so that forced me to start researching based on my need for job interviews, etc. Led me here. Prior to this, the only rules I used to dress came straight out of AR 670-1

My streetwear collection was laughable, but over time I at least recognized that I should wear slimmer fits to match my body type.

Millerp

Reaction score
Historically, men usually learned the rules from their fathers, uncles and older brothers.
Not so much if at all nowadays,

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff

Alright, FNB, if you choose to be snarky, then where did people learn about clothes in general? About tailoring methods and cloth specifics and button types and goodyear welting and...

John_Edward

Reaction score
I wish I could say it was from my parents, but I was a proper mess before I moved abroad. Since then, I've kept an eye on the French and another on the English.

Closer

Reaction score
I sold suits at Dillards when i was 18-19, so I started learning some stuff then. I was reeducated by SF about 3 years ago.

doctorj!

Reaction score
I didnt know many rules to be honest. Since I joined here my taste in suits and clothing in general has completely changed.

ajv

Reaction score
I've learn from my family and from friend's fathers, when I was a kid and a teen-ager. Then I've learned more by reading and researching about clothes, shoes and manners. The social environment and the work environment was also very helpful.
But mind you that here in Europe, things might be a bit different than in the US and it also depends in which neighbourhood one is brought up.

But to paraphrase a great french artist : I know that one never knows.

ndw

Reaction score
My father and grandfather taught me the basics (by example); however, the rules that I really actually follow are only the most elementary, such as no brown shoes with black belt, no buttoning of bottom coat button etc. For everything else, even if it breaks some "established" rule, I just go with my gut. If it feels right and I like it, I couldn't care less whether some i-gent is going to notice that I am wearing double monks with a suit, or cufflinks with a sportcoat.

TheDroog

Reaction score
GQ and Esquire. Started browsing through them after college. For the amount of hate fashion mags get on SF, it's largely unwarranted. For the newbie to fashion, there is a ton of solid style advice in those mags.

mimile

Reaction score
My mother taught me much. It is amazing how much she knew when I look at it now. She never read books about style. She relied on her good taste.
I still remmber when I brought home my fist POW fabric. I thought she did not know about it. She knew exactly what it was and was able to tell the weight from the touch of the fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads