• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unwanted sliding of belt

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Hi all
bigstar[1].gif

I can't figure out why one pair of all my pants causes the belt (any belt) to slide to the right, towards the loop. When walking the belt slides and in 10 minutes after putting it in the centre the buckle ends up by the first loop on the right side (when looking down on my waist).

The pants are a pair of Andrew double pleat corduroys from Polo Ralph Lauren. These are my only pleated pants, could that have something to do with the belt sliding?

I guess a little loop by the button would eliminate slipping, but there is no such loop.
eh.gif

Thank you for any suggestions and sharing of similar experiences.

Checkerboard 13

Reaction score
This may not be it, but it is possible that the pants were cut and assembled with the nap of the fabric facing in one direction. This could cause the belt to move in that direction.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the exact same problem with some velvet trousers that are part of a suit. It must have something to do with the nap as mentioned by Checkerboard 13. It doesn't matter how tight the belt is.

The loop on my Incos definitely works well to secure the belt. This seems like a logical answer.

braised

Reaction score
I've never thought about the nap of cordouroy but have known belts to migrate as described.

I think that you're on to something with the nap theory.

B

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IGORSEMONOV
You could address to taylor and make a loop for buckle . It is simply and shouldn't be expencive.
I have a couple of pairs of pants with this little loop, but I've never understood exaclty how it functions. Which part of the belt goes through the loop?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
I have a couple of pairs of pants with this little loop, but I've never understood exaclty how it functions. Which part of the belt goes through the loop?

The same part of the belt buckle that goes through the belt holes.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
The same part of the belt buckle that goes through the belt holes.
Thanks. I'll have to take a closer look at my pants because I dont' remember the loop being very big - i.e. if you put the buckle's tongue through the loop it might drag the belt below the waistband.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IGORSEMONOV
You could address to taylor and make a loop for buckle . It is simply and shouldn't be expencive.

I guess this is the only solutions; tightening the belt wouldn't be comfortable, and comfort (along with relaxed style) is the point of my only pleated pants.

The problem would be to find a piece of corduroy to do the job. It is possible to shorten the legs on these pants by 1-1.5 cm and use this material, but that would add another $20...

We'll see what I do. Anyhow it's a relief (OK, I'm exaggerating slightly
wink.gif
) to see that I'm not alone.

By the way I also wondered for maybe 8 years what that little loop is for, and I learned the reason only a few weeks ago. Only one of my pants (Gant corduroy) have this little loop, and it works/fits well, although it's not really needed for those pants. The belt stay in place anyway. It's just those PRL pants... (and I have another pair of corduroys, plus two chinos, from PRL - none of them causes the belt to slide).

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you will always wear a belt with said pants I think that the buckle keeper is a great idea. they work very well on my incotex pants; however I never really had a belt "sliding" issue.

Another option may be to have a tailor sew thin rubber strips on the outside of the waist band so the belt has something to grab a hold onto with more friction, similar to those sewn on the interior of the waistband to prevent shirts from untucking. Again, as long as a belt is worn, there is no way for anyone else to notice.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Assuming you will always wear a belt with said pants I think that the buckle keeper is a great idea. they work very well on my incotex pants; however I never really had a belt "sliding" issue.

Another option may be to have a tailor sew thin rubber strips on the outside of the waist band so the belt has something to grab a hold onto with more friction, similar to those sewn on the interior of the waistband to prevent shirts from untucking. Again, as long as a belt is worn, there is no way for anyone else to notice.

That's another good suggestion. I'll probably take them to the tailor and discuss what's best. It's funny, I paid only $70 (including shipping from the US to the EU) for these pants via eBay, and I've already put almost $50 in tailor costs to get tapered legs. Getting a loop or rubber strips will make the tailor costs at least equal, if not more, to the pants' original cost. Still, all this will add up to a total cost that corresponds to a new pair of PRL pants in Europe as the brand is crazily expensive here (e.g. $170 for a classic, traditional Oxford shirt...!).

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian

Wouldn't it be easier to have those strips on the belt itself?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Wouldn't it be easier to have those strips on the belt itself?

But then you would have to attach them to all your belts... I have three-four belts.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
But then you would have to attach them to all your belts... I have three-four belts.

I think most people have more trousers than belts ... Putting (sticking) those strips on the belts means you can wear them with *any* trouser and not have to worry about this ever agian.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zuhoouk