• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
I actually just bought my first Gitman shirt yesterday. It's a pink-stripe oxford that's a bit out of season, but I'm pairing it with a sweater vest and wingtips for a serious Grandpa look today. I love it! I bought it at Bird in Williamsburg.

They've got a few shirts available in Small - including the "Giant Plaid Poplin." That one is really nice in person.
http://shopbird.com/home.php?cat=418...ion=0&all=true

Just wondering how the cut of your shirts compares to the Gitman Vintage you purchased? If I wear a Large in Gitman, would I order in the same size from you? (say, that red flannel number you're currently offering?) I don't want my shirts billowy & blousy, but on the other hand, just so it's clear, I'm 6'1" 180 & not striving to fit into a Band of Outsiders Size Small. Thanks.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
Just wondering how the cut of your shirts compares to the Gitman Vintage you purchased? If I wear a Large in Gitman, would I order in the same size from you? (say, that red flannel number you're currently offering?) I don't want my shirts billowy & blousy, but on the other hand, just so it's clear, I'm 6'1" 180 & not striving to fit into a Band of Outsiders Size Small. Thanks.

I would compare measurements to be sure, providing weight and height is too vague to make a correct assessment. I am a small in BoO, Gitman, Epaulet for reference as well as a small in other brands (J Crew, Rag & Bone, Engineered Garments, Nice Collective, etc.) and the shirts that are meant to fit slim fit slim and those meant to be more conservative fit more conservative.

spencers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Fit pics of my recently received (finally) Blue/Red/White Plaid Gitman shirt from Context. Well worth the wait as I really like this color pattern and fit.
100_1596.jpg

Just ordered this one up from Ron Herman. They emailed me and said they had a small in stock!
smile.gif

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I would compare measurements to be sure, providing weight and height is too vague to make a correct assessment. I am a small in BoO, Gitman, Epaulet for reference as well as a small in other brands (J Crew, Rag & Bone, Engineered Garments, Nice Collective, etc.) and the shirts that are meant to fit slim fit slim and those meant to be more conservative fit more conservative.
Thanks for the reply. I will look into the measurements for Epaulet. But I KNOW the Gitman Vintage Large fits, and how it fits, thus I was wondering if Epaulet fit similarly (since he'd just received his GV), or if they would suggest a size up or down based on that comparison.

But I've got to ask: are you sure you are the same size in Gitman AND BoO? (perhaps they both fit, but ... in different ... ways?) A Large GV fits me fine (trim, no pulling), whereas I tried an XL BoO flannel shirt (the black & cream plaid -- awesome looking shirt) and it looked like I was trying on my baby brother's size 14 boys shirt -- serious creasing in the armpits, pulling at the buttons. If I had done a Hulk pose I'm sure I could have ripped myself out of it (I'd have had to cough up $250, so I didn't). I'm having a hard time picturing someone properly fitting into the same size in those two labels. But who knows.

nonissue

Reaction score
^ I'm a medium in Gitman, a Large in BoO oxfords, and an XL in BoO overdye's (haven't tried flannels)

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
Thanks for the reply. I will look into the measurements for Epaulet. But I KNOW the Gitman Vintage Large fits, and how it fits, thus I was wondering if Epaulet fit similarly (since he'd just received his GV), or if they would suggest a size up or down based on that comparison. But I've got to ask: are you sure you are the same size in Gitman AND BoO? (perhaps they both fit, but ... in different ... ways?) A Large GV fits me fine (trim, no pulling), whereas I tried an XL BoO flannel shirt (the black & cream plaid -- awesome looking shirt) and it looked like I was trying on my baby brother's size 14 boys shirt -- serious creasing in the armpits, pulling at the buttons. If I had done a Hulk pose I'm sure I could have ripped myself out of it (I'd have had to cough up $250, so I didn't). I'm having a hard time picturing someone properly fitting into the same size in those two labels. But who knows.
Of course I'm sure I'm the same size or I wouldn't have posted it. In BoO overdyes, I'm a medium but in the regular oxfords I'm a small as I am pretty much across the board. BoO shirts have their inconsistencies in sizing (overdye's aside) though so on certain shirts the small can be too tight whereas on others it will be right on for me. However, I think my build suits the BoO cut since I'm a smaller frame. I've always found it absurd that BoO makes sizes in XL and above (no hate on those who require the size, but I don't think BoO suits a build well at these sizes - evidence is all over the forums in pics and complaints) as I think if you have a build that requires these larger sizes, the fit never seems to be right: chest too tight, shoulder pulls, sleeve lengths, neck size, etc. In summary, the smaller the build the easier it is to fit the same size across the labels, what can I say I fit that mold. Check my posts with fit pics on these and see for yourself.

nonissue

Reaction score
^ It's called proportions. Someone can be the same proportions as you, except BIGGER. Therefore it makes sense to have larger sizes of shirts... I'm only 190 / 6'2, and I need an in XL the Overdye's, and they fit me really well. You can be small and have fucked up proportions/body type, and nothing will fit.

It's like me saying, I don't think they should make shirts in smaller sizes because they don't suit the build - the chest is too big, the shoulders sit off the collarbone, sleeves are too long, neck is too big etc...

jpo

Reaction score
That's interesting. I've looked past that shirt as I thought it was too close to a French blue. Not so much?

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
^ It's called proportions. Someone can be the same proportions as you, except BIGGER. Therefore it makes sense to have larger sizes of shirts... I'm only 190 / 6'2, and I need an in XL the Overdye's, and they fit me really well. You can be small and have fucked up proportions/body type, and nothing will fit.

It's like me saying, I don't think they should make shirts in smaller sizes because they don't suit the build - the chest is too big, the shoulders sit off the collarbone, sleeves are too long, neck is too big etc...

I agree. I generally have no problem finding things off the shelf that fit -- 16" neck, 34 or 35" sleeves, size 42L jacket. I found some variation in the sizing with Gitman Vintage (a flannel I tried seemed to fit slightly larger than their oxfords) but generally I'm an "L", as I am in most any other shirts I own (with a few mediums sprinkled in). I appreciate the phenomenon of Band of Outsiders (the new spin on traditional clothing etc), I support the fact that they make their stuff in LA and frankly I love their look (and I'd really like to try their Overdyes -- it sounds more suitable for me). But when it gets to the point where a guy my size is topping out the XS-XL sizing, I've got to say 'wait a minute, let's switch the conversation to actual measurements - neck size, shoulder width, sleeve length, etc.' If I'm going to pay $250 for a shirt then my expectation is that I'm getting an expertly tailored fit -- not just style -- no matter what the tag says. If a company were to do what the gentleman suggests & not make shirts larger than say a medium or large then, it seems like a company is missing an opportunity if their stuff doesn't translate to someone in my (what I consider very common) size range & dimensions.

P.S. and thanks to tonio028 for your reply, and sorry about the "are you sure??" implication. It was just my experience that the sizing & fit of GV and BoO are not the same, and I wanted to try to convey that message to other readers who might know one & not the other, and are perhaps ordering stuff online based on such an assumption. How about this: 'if you are large in GV and you order a large in BoO, then you MIGHT be needing to return it ....'

twon12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If anyone is interested I have a few Gitman Vintage for sale. Every man needs a simple, classic, wear-with-anything button-down, and the Gitman Brothers Vintage Oxford is one of the best I've seen. With a fit and details influenced by 70s and 80s styles, this shirt features a 100% cotton build, a V-stitch pocket, a narrow split yolk, and a back collar button down. In addition, it arrives pre-washed to its true size, so you don't have to worry about it shrinking up the first time you clean it. Gitman Bros. Vintage Blue OCBD Size 16.5 - Asking $80 Shoulders - 20" Pit - 23" Sleeve - 25" Collar to Bottom of shirt - 33" Gitman Blue
NewListings2001.jpg
NewListings2002.jpg
Gitman Bros. Vintage Blue OCBD Size 16 - Asking $80 Shoulders - 19" Pit - 23" Sleeve - 25" Collar to Bottom of shirt - 33"
NewListings2001.jpg
NewListings2002.jpg
Gitman Bros. Vintage Yellow Size 16 - Asking $80 Shoulders - 19" Pit - 23" Sleeve - 25" Collar to Bottom of shirt - 33"
NewListings2003.jpg
NewListings2004.jpg
Gitman Bros. Vintage Plaid Size 16 - Asking $85 Shoulders - 19" Pit - 23" Sleeve - 25" Collar to Bottom of shirt - 33"
NewListings2005.jpg
NewListings2006.jpg
Gitman White OCBD http://www.carltonsapparel.com/index...categoryID=125 twon12 twon12

el duderino

Reaction score
Just picked up my first Gitman today and wanted to get thoughts on my fit. I'm probably like some others who are between a S and M. With a 37-38" chest, I figured the low arm holes would make a Small too restrictive. But with the huge jump in p2p sizes, I'm not sure if it's too loose. I'm also 5'10" so I will probably get it hemmed since it's a little too long as I plan to wear it mostly untucked.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size did you go with? Looks too big.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like he went with a medium, which I agree, is too big.

el duderino

Reaction score
Yes, it's a Medium. It's weird, I also bought the chambray oxford in the same size which I think fits just right. Based on earlier posts I think someone mentioned their sizing is consistent through all their shirts not with these two. And it's not just the thicker fabric that is making it drape differentlhy. Here's a pic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads