• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by insomb
you just missed out gilt had that bag up like two days ago for a lot less. i got a rrl bag myself. i thought i liked it for my sketching supplies, but now that it's actually here i'm hesitant about the size of it. i'll post it later tonight and see what you guys think.

post.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Not mine, but a good deal on an Orciani bag w/ less than four hours left and free shipping. Definitely not an "everyday" bag, given the material, but one that looks like a lot of fun with the right outfit. Quality on Orciani is quite decent, most especially at this price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

Ooo, pretty ...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Nobody bid! It was a good deal; Yoox has a license to be the outlet seller for Orciani, so sometimes you see Orciani messenger there. That particular bag was never on Yoox (AFAIK), but if it were, it would probably be in the $300-325 range. At full retail, probably $695-750 or thereabouts.

If you were really interested, you could probably email the seller and get it for the opening bid of $125, or maybe even a little less given that a direct sale would prevent him from paying ebays lovely craptacularly high "final value fee."

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll find some pics and add them later, but Goyard has made a new travel bag collection, the Boeing. If you like Goyard, it looks like nice stuff. However, I don't know who they have making up their pricing... but they are canvas bags and appear to be in the about 2.5X's as much as LV.
frown.gif
I think the 45cm version is like 1400 pounds.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I'll find some pics and add them later, but Goyard has made a new travel bag collection, the Boeing. If you like Goyard, it looks like nice stuff.

However, I don't know who they have making up their pricing... but they are canvas bags and appear to be in the about 2.5X's as much as LV.
frown.gif
I think the 45cm version is like 1400 pounds.

I've been told that the canvas is actually hand-painted to produce that chevron pattern; not sure how accurate that is, but it could account for the variation in print.

I actually REALLY liked this Gucci men's clutch when I tried it on- extremely fey but the details are great and the look is unique (a Tumi it's not). Unfortunately the price is utterly untenable for me considering the bag's limited practicality- $1,150 at retail, still over $700 w/tax on sale
frown.gif

http://www.gucci.com/us/us-english/u...23595BZ0ZX1000

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Will post some travel bags come christmas.

montyharding

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a nice 'smart casual' leather messenger from a British manufacturer in the £750 - £2K range? (Had issues with sub - £500 bags regarding wear, bits falling off, etc so would prefer above that)

Oh yeah, laptop compartment a big plus.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the quality like of Dior homme canvas duffels? I really like the design, but I can't image a canvas bag lasting that long. I know I'm probably not getting filson quality, but I don't want it tearing and snagging on everything.

kontai69

Reaction score
I've bought (and returned) several messenger-style bags and wanted to share my opinions...

J.Crew Bowery Bag...
fg.bmp

Looks nice, but I personally do not recommend it. The buckles which hold the flap down are completely non-functional and are there just for show. There are small magnets behind the straps which do the actual attachment. Not only that, the magnets are rather weak so you can't confidently secure down the flap at all. Also, the canvas is pretty thin and the stitching seems loose in some areas. As a whole, not a durable feeling bag. The bag is described as being "distressed" but doesn't appear so in real life. But for $60 (on sale), I got what I paid for.

Ernest Alexander Voldis Grey Waxwear Bag...
IMG_0320.jpg

It is a great (and quite expensive, $365) bag. It is very sturdy and extremely well constructed. The canvas and leather trim are pretty thick (on par with Filson). The entire bottom is one piece thick leather. It certainly seems like it could last a lifetime (and beyond). There are many storage pockets inside and out. One of the features that I liked was that the straps over the four small outer pockets (excluding the main flap) are secured with powerful magnets (chrome plated). This makes securing the straps easier and quicker than conventional snap buttons. Again, to reiterate, the straps on the main flap are secured by conventional buckles (no magnets). Also, Ernest offers very personalized service. You communicate direct with him throughout the process, which I thought was cool.
However, in the end, the bag was not for me. I personally found it a little too heavy for comfort. It weighs 5 pounds empty. I'm a really scrawny guy so this is an issue for me. It is also a pretty big bag, so this also has to be considered. The edge of the leather shoulder straps and handle are also quite stiff and "sharp" so long term comfort maybe an issue.

Belstaff 556 Colonial Shoulder Bag (from J.Crew)...
IMG_0326.jpg

Overall, I am rather underwelmed with the bag. I do like the size of the bag. It is quite compact and lightweight but looks like it could really expand to hold alot of stuff when needed. It came with a nice dust cloth and the buckles are sewn in (NO magnets as reported elsewhere). It is also made in Italy (not US, as J.Crew described). I also like that is comes in black.
Originally Posted by Dob
I also felt the same about the Belstaff and finally ordered it after trying to find one for a long time...The weight of the canvas is not very thick - the interior lining is thin cotton, and the buckles / strap keepers are attached with some stitching that looks like it would be very easy to tear, not any type of rivets or other more durable arrangement. On the whole, the bag appeared rather flimsy to me and I returned it. No where near worth the money.
All of Dob's criticisms above are dead on. To further elaborate, the distressing on the leather is overdone. This is most noticable on the straps where it looks mangled up in some places (see right strap in pic). On the side straps, the mangled nature makes it a little hard to pass the strap through the loops. The side straps also just dangle and get in the way. Also, the soft cotton interior lining is only sewn along the mouth and not elsewhere, giving it an effect of having a floppy sack within the bag. I would be concerned about this lining ripping with extended wear and use.
Yeah, this is more like a fashion bag and IMO way overpriced (over $400, missed the J.Crew sale) for what seems like an inexpensive canvas bag that has been washed and left in the dryer for too long.

Filson 232 medium field bag...
IMG_0342.jpg

This bag is a keeper! TMK, it is the most "messenger bag-like" item offered by Filson. The size and weight are just right for me. I considered the 256/257 but felt that it would be a little too big and the interior dividers would just get in the way for me. Since the 232 has no internal dividers, I keep one plastic folder inside to safely carry paperwork which is enough for me. The 232 is also "floppy", so when empty it collapses flat against my body, more so than a zippered bag would. The brown color is REALLY dark. To my eyes, it kind of looks flat black in low light, until you hold it up against something black.
As many others have commented, the build quality of this Filson bag is impressive. The canvas and leather are both really thick. For $168 shipped (from Crane's), it is quite a bargain compared to the other bags I've tried, especially the Belstaff.

On mine, I noticed a minor cosmetic defect with the leather pipe trim around the flap (leather was cracked in some spots). I contacted Filson and they told me to send it in for a replacement. See how that goes. ***update 12-31-09*** Got the replacement and the same defect still exists. Also, the overall construction seems a little off (uneven). Mailed it back to them again, so hopefully the third one is OK. ***update 1-14-09***Got the third one and all is OK with this one.

Anyways, hope this info is of help for anyone in the market for manbags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads