• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 3 Discussion

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've started watching the show again, but I'm afraid I'm going to stop once again. It's just turning into a soap opera. I wanted to see what's happening with the company, and for a little while that's where it was headed, but now all I can hear is the cheesy soap organ music, and at the end of each episode the announcer seems to be saying "Will Don sleep with (fill in the blank)?" (cue music) "Will Betty every find happiness again?" (cue music) "Will so-and-so discover that his real half-brother's housekeeper is really his dead aunt Sally...and she's having his baby?!" (cue music)

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sal's gone too now? So sad to see Joan work retail and now Sal's pretending to work. Maybe he should have been like Kurt and just came out with it - at least Kurt has a job.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
This past episode sucked royally. i normally don't mind the slower character reveal episodes but nothing even happened. Sal's thing was minor, betty's plot line sucks and was only realistic and interesting when in italy, don's thing with the teacher is lame, and i guess nothing else happened except connie showed don that not everyone worships him. I dunno. Hopefully next week will be interesting

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Sal's gone too now? So sad to see Joan work retail and now Sal's pretending to work. Maybe he should have been like Kurt and just came out with it - at least Kurt has a job.

no, Sal will suck the cigarette guy's cock and will be back at work in a week

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i worked with a guy who sat in the library 8 hours a day for 2 months rather than tell his wife he was fired.

sal also looked like he was calling from some pickup park.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

sal also looked like he was calling from some pickup park.

I think it was the little park near the intersection of Christopher and Gay.

lefty

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did notice the men cavorting with each other in the background of the shot. I feel bad for the guy.

Anyone else pick up on all the double standards going on in the episode? For instance: Don called out Sal and "you people" for being lecherous, but then he drives to Miss Farrell's at midnight for some "hot for teacher" action. I guess that's just par for the course if you're a straight, white, male back in 1963.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I did notice the men cavorting with each other in the background of the shot. I feel bad for the guy.

Anyone else pick up on all the double standards going on in the episode? For instance: Don called out Sal and "you people" for being lecherous, but then he drives to Miss Farrell's at midnight for some "hot for teacher" action. I guess that's just par for the course if you're a straight, white, male back in 1963.

They're working hard to make all kinds of comparisons: straight vs. gay, black vs. white, male vs. female. There are probably others.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They weren't cavorting but to make sure you got the point they grabbed an extra from this trailer and put him in the background.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^pacino's finest role.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Between the bad acting of January Jones and the lost extra from Cruising in the background of Sal's phone booth scene, it was another slap-my-head episode. The only good ting that came out of it was the preview for this: lefty
Also rather enjoyed the Johnnie Walker commercial.
For instance: Don called out Sal and "you people" for being lecherous, but then he drives to Miss Farrell's at midnight for some "hot for teacher" action.
Oh, I didn't think it was merely lechery -- it was "you people (gays)." - H

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^pacino's finest role.

It's hard to find but Dave Thomas did a Cruising Gourmet skit on SCTV. Dressed in leather he suspends a turkey from the ceiling with chains and proceeds to ram stuffing up it's cavity with his fist. Comedy gold.

lefty

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i think i have it. i have nearly every episode of sctv on vhs

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
So i was the only one who thought the episode blew chunks?

i think it was pretty weak, and the more i thought about it... i feel like they are overusing the fact that sal is gay.

there is that other gay dude at SC, why just sal.

also, this season as a whole has seemed to lack the same sort of momentum and direction as the previous seasons.

the betty plotline could be way better

the don/conrad hilton plotline has run its course for me

so yeah i agree this latest episode didn't really deliver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads