• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
The Colt NIB with 5 mags is 1225 delivered. Is that reasonable?

Yes, that is a good price. Best I can do around here at local shops is around $1,300 (Surplus City in Feasterville, if Philly pholk are interested). Best price I've seen mail order is $1,110 but from a dealer with a spotty customer service record (Botach) so I would not recommend ordering from them.

Originally Posted by Shikar
I just want an AR15, really maybe a little varmint shooting or plinking. Like i said earlier I am a shotgun guy and this is my first foray into the AR15s.
Is the price too high? or should i get something different?

You could spend a lot less on a "plinking" AR15 (CMMG is having their $599 "blemish special" again) but if this is your first AR then there's nothing wrong with a little bit of overkill.
laugh.gif

CMMG $599 Bargain Special. Note these are not pretty rifles; they're designed for the person who wants a shooter, not a "looker".

I would not say the 6920 is an ideal varminter. You'd probably want a 20-24" barreled flattop AR for those long-range shots on prairie dogs and coyotes. The 6920 is more of a closer range rifle. You could spend the difference on glass (scopes), possibly a nice bipod, aftermarket trigger (Geissele SSA is my current favorite) and maybe even a nice Magpul PRS stock.

Then again if you're not varminting to a significant degree, it probably won't matter. Unless you really see yourself going varminting more than 25% of the time you use the gun, get the 6920.

Hell, I say get the 6920.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer

CMMG $599 Bargain Special. Note these are not pretty rifles; they're designed for the person who wants a shooter, not a "looker".

lol8[1].gif
@ how you can pick "hand picked by Denny" or "by Jerry". Seems like a great deal.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CDNN occasionally has incredibly cool things at quite remarkable prices.

Speaking of surplus though, the candy store is to go to either of the two Civilian Marksmanship Program stores (Port Clinton, Ohio and Anniston, AL) and get a U.S. surplus Garand or M1 Carbines (and formerly 1903 Springfields) at what is still far below market value. History and (in many cases) much more unfiddledwith examples of such historic arms than you can find on the common market.

~ H

i10casual

Reaction score
A nice 1911 type is the Browning Hi Power. I have a friend in Afgan. who swears by them. I'm going to pick on up later this year. Personally I carry a glock 19 and a little Sig daily. My neck of the woods is having a drug war so and its not very pretty.

Shikar, I really want a shotgun but don't know where to start. I want one for home protection but I think bird hunting sounds pretty fun. I'm kinda frightend of ugly recoil. Should I be looking at something smaller than 12GA and what brans do you like? Thanks

Artigas

Reaction score
i10casual, if you are really recoil sensitive, I might go as low as 20 gauge. But really, most men ought to be able to handle the 12. It's really not that large, and if you use proper technique and take advantage of modern technology (i.e. recoil pads, semi-autos, etc.) recoil should not be a problem. I myself am kind of recoil sensitive, but the 12 is not a problem for me. I don't even notice the recoil like I do with a centerfire rifle. Too busy watching clays escape or evaporate... which one is more common, I won't say.
wink.gif

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual

Shikar, I really want a shotgun but don't know where to start. I want one for home protection but I think bird hunting sounds pretty fun. I'm kinda frightend of ugly recoil. Should I be looking at something smaller than 12GA and what brans do you like? Thanks

Clays (trap, skeet, or sporting) is really the funnest kind of shooting you can do. See if there is a trap range close to you.

Recoil is not an issue. My 120 pound girlfriend shoots 12 gauge.

For a starter gun, you can't go wrong with a Bennelli or Beretta. An over-under would be great for ease of use and menacing birds if you decide to get that a try.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ i10, see if you can find a buddy (or shop) that will rent you a gas-operated* semiauto 12** gauge that is fitted to your body type*** and shoot some 2.75" birdshot shells out of it. If you don't mind the recoil of that setup, you can buy one with confidence and use Federal reduced recoil buckshot/slugs for home defense. It's all I use in my HD shotguns and they kick just a smidge more than birdshot.

*: some semi-autos use an inertia system to operate and will therefore kick harder than a gas-operated gun. The Benellis and Berettas Pennglock mentioned are inertia guns. Check out the Remington 1187/1100 or the Mossberg 930SPX (?) for popular gas-operated guns.

**: nothing wrong with going down to a 20 gauge. It hits hard enough to get the job done, and ammo is widely available. You won't find speciality HD ammo like the aforementioned Federal reduced recoil but that should not rule your decision. A gun that you hate to shoot is useless.

***: an ill-fitting stock (length of pull, comb height, etc.) will increase recoil to the shooter. You wouldn't wear shoes that are too big or too small, right? Same thing with guns. A proper fit can increase comfort immensely, especially with long guns.

Artigas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
***: an ill-fitting stock (length of pull, comb height, etc.) will increase recoil to the shooter. You wouldn't wear shoes that are too big or too small, right? Same thing with guns. A proper fit can increase comfort immensely, especially with long guns.

Stoke me a Clipper, I'll be back for Christmas! He's right! After years of shooting, I started flinching after shooting an old cheapie single-barrel break open, such was its recoil due to the low comb height. I'm still trying to get over it. Make sure your gun fits you. Check out Google, gun articles, ask somebody at a gun shop or a buddy to help you determine what a good fit would be.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I applied to apply for my firearms license in New Jersey almost a month ago and still not received a reply. Was told it shouldnt take more than 7 days...Annoying.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ownership.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
That bites on many levels.

yes sir. being from TX i assumed he was talking about concealed carry. anyone here can drive around with a ******* shotgun or rifle in the back window of their truck if they want

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads