• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hopkins_student kills intruder with samurai sword

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What could possibly be more nerdy than owning a samurai sword?

why would owning a katana be nerdy? anyone that practices kendo or something similar would disagree.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
why would owning a katana be nerdy? anyone that practices kendo or something similar would disagree.

Good point sensei !!

nerd200.jpg

Agnacious

Reaction score
So what did he do with a sword that he couldn't have done with a baseball bat?

Besides kill a man, possibly face criminal charges, get dismissed from the university, potentially screw up his whole life etc.

He was being robbed, not stopping a murder. There is nothing I own that I would kill another person over.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious

Besides kill a man, possibly face criminal charges, get dismissed from the university, potentially screw up his whole life etc.

He was being robbed, not stopping a murder. There is nothing I own that I would kill another person over.

Your life?????

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about Mrs. Agnacious?

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
What about Mrs. Agnacious?

If a life was in the balance that calls for a stronger measures. My statement was regarding possessions which seems to be the only thing he was defending.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lookit, if the burglar had been running away and the student ran him down and hacked him to death with the sword, then he would have been in the wrong. As it stands, he was on his own turf when he confronted the burglar. According to his account, the burglar lunged at him and he cut of the guy's hand with his sword. The burglar was a serial offender of the worst sort and was back up to his old tricks a couple of days after being released from the hoosegow. Good riddance to the bastard! If that kid faces any kind of unpleasant consequences, it will be a grievous miscarriage of justice. Give the lad medal, I say! Hell, pay him a bounty!

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Lookit, if the burglar had been running away and the student ran him down and hacked him to death with the sword, then he would have been in the wrong. As it stands, he was on his own turf when he confronted the burglar. According to his account, the burglar lunged at him and he cut of the guy's hand with his sword. The burglar was a serial offender of the worst sort and was back up to his old tricks a couple of days after being released from the hoosegow. Good riddance to the bastard! If that kid faces any kind of unpleasant consequences, it will be a grievous miscarriage of justice. Give the lad medal, I say! Hell, pay him a bounty!

+1

Anyone who is familiar with that area of Baltimore knows it can get very sketchy, very quickly. It's more than likely that the student was just reacting to the situation and extremely scared.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a life was in the balance that calls for a stronger measures. My statement was regarding possessions which seems to be the only thing he was defending.
I don't know about you, but if a burglar was lunging at me in my own home, I'd have to assume that he wanted to cause me grave bodily harm.
+1 Even if I was in the safest of neighborhood, I still would have done the same thing. And this is Baltimore we're talking about here.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Um.
I'll go with "cut off the motherfucka's head" for 100 Alex.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you really think that the bum lunged at him, or if it was something he made up after he realized he murdered someone?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Do you really think that the bum lunged at him, or if it was something he made up after he realized he murdered someone?

What? You wouldn't try to do something if some nerd in Pikachu PJs and a samurai sword was coming at you?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the wound is consistent with the kid's story, that would seem to exonerate him from any charges of murder.

Agnacious

Reaction score

I am answering you, but the following responses are in kind and I don't feel like multi-quoting.

My problem is by bringing a sword he has limited the options he has, you have to cut someone to stop them. It is the same thing if you bring a gun, you have to shoot them, that is your only option.

I think he had other options, he could have ran, he could have secured the main area and called the police. It was in his garage, so he was in no immediate danger. He voluntarily stepped into a situation to protect possessions with a means of deterence/defense that has a focused use.

I don't feel sorry for the criminal, I feel sorry for the sword wielder who I think did not think things through and now could be facing a very different future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics