• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy first car. Recc one under 15k

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
If you don't mind buying a rebadged Nissan, these can be had for dirt cheap and are very reliable, have excellently appointed interiors, and have a decent amount of performance if you're looking for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...%3A1|72%3A2148 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...%3A1|72%3A2148 I've had an '01 I30t since '03 and have spent about $1200 on repairs total. Simple, relatively classy car that doesn't break the bank. G35 would be another option but expect to pay a decent penny more.

jimjames

Reaction score
I'd recommend looking at an 2003-2004 Infiniti M45. That was before the recent styling change. You can usually pick them up with mileage between 25-60K miles for around $15K maybe a little over and higher mileage models for under $15k.

All the ones I've seen have been in great condition because they were lease returns and even though Infiniti's have good reliability records - they depreciate a lot the first few years.

The M45 is a v8 so it's not going to get great gas mileage and it's rear wheel drive...which may be a problem if it snows a lot in your area.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
From what I hear, what people drive in Southern California is different from the rest of the country. I am not in the age bracket as OP nor have I ever lived in Southern California, so I can't really comment on what's a cool car to drive to impress your friends/girls as a college/grad student.

If you make good money and can afford it, purchasing European imports or Japanese luxury cars is fine. However if you are student with limited income, I would have to say that a boring but reliable Japanese car from Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Mazda would be a good option for under 15K.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
How about a 2010 BMW M5 with a manual?
confused.gif

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Why someone on a budget, with little income, would want to own a luxury car defies the imagination. You don't have money but are attempting to create the appearance of it. This is something a person from New Jersey would do. Be intelligent and buy something sensible that comes in under budget. Don't spend on a second hand luxury car that can easily turn into a litany of liabilities for you. Leave luxury purchases for when it would actually make sense financially, and by extension, when you wouldn't look like a douchebag poser for having one.

Spot on.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As things turn out, I do not have a secured parking space for the next year so it looks like it would make more economic sense to not get a car period. With that said I've decided to buy a bike for when I really do need to get around. Thanks anyways guys.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
As things turn out, I do not have a secured parking space for the next year so it looks like it would make more economic sense to not get a car period. With that said I've decided to buy a bike for when I really do need to get around. Thanks anyways guys.

Cool, bike recommendation:

2009-BMW-K1300R-black1.jpg

v0rtex

Reaction score
We just bought an '09 Hyundai Sonata from our local dealer which came in at under 15k. Had a few thousand miles on the clock which made it "used", but it's essentially a new car minus the ridiculous depreciation. Decent mileage (28-30mpg), USB/iPod hookups, warranty etc.

Looked at a ton of other cars (we originally wanted a VW) and originally had no intention of buying a new/nearly new car, but we really liked the Sonata and it beat out everything else we looked at in the price range.

Doubt it's much of a ***** magnet, but there's not much in that price range that is...

Edit: Performance sucks as it's a 4-cyl. Gas mileage is great though (25-35mpg). It's a comfortable drive at 100mph, but you'll have aged a bit by the time it gets up there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads