• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things to do in Minnesota?

gilwood

Reaction score
I'm taking a trip up to Minneapolis, Minnesota. Is there anything interesting to do out there? I think it's also close to St. Paul, another big city. I looked through tripadvisor and saw a bunch of museums and stuff.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of great stuff to do in the summer, depending on the weather. If it's nice, walking around the lakes in Mpls. is a lot of fun -- nice parks/walking paths.

Art museums: the Walker Art Center is top-notch for modern and contemporary art, though I'm not a fan of the new addition; the Minneapolis Institute of Art is a good regional art museum -- it's not the Met, but there are plenty of interesting works and overall it's well laid-out and fun to browse. I've only been a couple times, but there's a Russian Art museum in Minneapolis that is just terrific. I saw a show there a couple years ago on early Soviet art that was first-rate, and their collection seems to be quite good.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can spend an afternoon in the Mall of America.

btlaxripper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent

Jeez you could spend an eternity in the MOA.

Minneapolis is actually a very clean and nice city. I live 3 hours away and just go there to use the airport, so am not too sure about what there is to do. But enjoy your visit!

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent

But there is actually no compelling reason to even go there. Think of any mall in the US, now add all the other crappy stores not included in that mall, and you have the moa.

I liked MN when I lived there, but I don't know how I would visit it. Walking and biking around the lakes are big in the summer, but visitors generally don't drive somewhere to walk around a lake or somewhere else. At least I wouldn't, but I am not a big fan of nature.

the art museums mentioned are good. There is the uptown and downtown areas for dining and activities.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go fishing for walleye.

btlaxripper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
But there is actually no compelling reason to even go there. Think of any mall in the US, now add all the other crappy stores not included in that mall, and you have the moa.

I liked MN when I lived there, but I don't know how I would visit it. Walking and biking around the lakes are big in the summer, but visitors generally don't drive somewhere to walk around a lake or somewhere else. At least I wouldn't, but I am not a big fan of nature.

the art museums mentioned are good. There is the uptown and downtown areas for dining and activities.

This is very true.

The scenery is beautiful and the outdoor fun is great, grab a Patagonia fleece and some hiking boots and just get lost for the day.

But day tripping it in the city? I really can't help you there.

adversity04

Reaction score
http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Show...vgnextfmt=show Gasthof Zur Gemutlichkeit Looked like a fun place to eat
smile.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right outside Minneapolis there are small lakes surrounded by beautiful, homes. I was there 2 weeks ago and enjoyed driving around them and stopping at some nice places to eat overlooking the water.

The Mall of America is just a super huge mall. It is kinda fun if you have never been there, but don't expect something better than you have ever seen, just expect more of it. I have taken my nephews there in winter time so they could play on the rides in the center section.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let me know if you have kids with you - it is a great city for visiitng with kids.

you can visit my sister. she isnt that interesting or hot or anything, and she is married and can be a mean person, but, hey, if you are there with nothing to do why not?

the last week or august is the minnasota state fair. that is great. I would highly recomend that.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Eat at La Belle Vie and sample what 2009 James Beard Best Chef Midwest Tim McKee is up to.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eat at Manny's and order the porterhouse. You won't be disappointed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads