• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Gordon Holt grows up

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiloX
I am not a home system guy. I am a SQ competitor in the 12v space. The environment is harsh both physically and acoustically. It's a fun hobby. And unfortunately, a lot of the home audio snake-oil crap has found its way into our little community of misfits.
I got my audio "start" in 12V. I still have the system I installed in my 1968.5 Citroën DS-21 while I was in high school: -Denon DCT-950R headunit (working but currently disconnected, because last time I drove I patched an iPod directly into the xover), -AudioControl 24XS crossover, -2 AudioControl EQTs 1/3 octave EQ's -PPI A404.2 and Rockford Fosgate POWER 300 MOSFET amps, -KEF KAR System 160Q front stage (designed by Andrew Jones, the guy responsible for the TAD Model One and Pioneer Elite speakers with the KEF-style coincident driver), -Audax HM130Z0 midrange drivers for mono rear fill, -and an Image Dynamics IDQ-12 sub in front of each front, using the frame-rails for most of their enclosure. The Goddess hasn't been my daily driver for years now, but I spent hours and hours on that system... Some day I'll probably replace the IDQ-12's with good subwoofer drivers (maybe Peerless XXLS's or something elise similarly shallow) and if the analog processing starts to get fuzzy I'll quickly put in the say Audyssey MultEQ XT box from Alpine I use in the Miata, but overall it's still a fine sounding car.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
I got my audio "start" in 12V. I still have the system I installed in my 1968.5 Citroën DS-21 while I was in high school:
-Denon DCT-950R headunit (working but currently disconnected, because last time I drove I patched an iPod directly into the xover),
-AudioControl 24XS crossover,
-2 AudioControl EQTs 1/3 octave EQ's
-PPI A404.2 and Rockford Fosgate POWER 300 MOSFET amps,
-KEF KAR System 160Q front stage (designed by Andrew Jones, the guy responsible for the TAD Model One and Pioneer Elite speakers with the KEF-style coincident driver),
-Audax HM130Z0 midrange drivers for mono rear fill,
-and an Image Dynamics IDQ-12 sub in front of each front, using the frame-rails for most of their enclosure.

The Goddess hasn't been my daily driver for years now, but I spent hours and hours on that system...

Some day I'll probably replace the IDQ-12's with good subwoofer drivers (maybe Peerless XXLS's or something elise similarly shallow) and if the analog processing starts to get fuzzy I'll quickly put in the say Audyssey MultEQ XT box from Alpine I use in the Miata, but overall it's still a fine sounding car.

SGladwell confirmed.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Sorry... should have been more clear. 12V is jargon we use in the hobby... I am referring to Car Audio. On your second point- No. I don't believe that all audio cables sound the same... Only the ones that measure the same.
wink.gif

On the first point, thank you. I had not heard of this term before. The only car audio I mess with is the controls of my Mark Levinson/Lexus system which sounds very good imho. On the second point, we may not be that far apart. The cables I buy measure out to very low capacitance as a rule. You can also measure the effect of RFI/EMI shielding if you know what you are doing. My view is that measurements are correlated to sound but sometimes those measurements do not always tell the whole story. I like what John Atkinson does with his measurements in Stereophile. He tests gear using good equipment and draws parallels or differences to the observed performance in the rest of the review. If you look across a broad set of measurements you begin to get some insight into performance but I don't think the measuring science is at the point to make distinctions in all areas.

MiloX

Reaction score
I got my audio "start" in 12V. I still have the system I installed in my 1968.5 Citroën DS-21 while I was in high school:
-Denon DCT-950R headunit (working but currently disconnected, because last time I drove I patched an iPod directly into the xover),
-AudioControl 24XS crossover,
-2 AudioControl EQTs 1/3 octave EQ's
-PPI A404.2 and Rockford Fosgate POWER 300 MOSFET amps,
-KEF KAR System 160Q front stage (designed by Andrew Jones, the guy responsible for the TAD Model One and Pioneer Elite speakers with the KEF-style coincident driver),
-Audax HM130Z0 midrange drivers for mono rear fill,
-and an Image Dynamics IDQ-12 sub in front of each front, using the frame-rails for most of their enclosure.

The Goddess hasn't been my daily driver for years now, but I spent hours and hours on that system...

Some day I'll probably replace the IDQ-12's with good subwoofer drivers (maybe Peerless XXLS's or something elise similarly shallow) and if the analog processing starts to get fuzzy I'll quickly put in the say Audyssey MultEQ XT box from Alpine I use in the Miata, but overall it's still a fine sounding car.

Nice. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Denon deck.

I am currently running an all active 4 way system.

Deck is currently a Pio premier DEH P880PRS
2 Zapco DC Ref 1000x4
Dynaudio 8" MB in doors
Dynaudio 5" MR in kicks
Dynaudio 1" tweets in dash corners
12" Sealed Elemental Designs sub.
All processing done onboard the DCREFS. (T/A, Xover, PEQ, etc...)

Only plans for this year is a new deck, and changing the sub alignment from a single sealed to 2 IB subs.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Nice. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Denon deck.

I am currently running an all active 4 way system.

Deck is currently a Pio premier DEH P880PRS
2 Zapco DC Ref 1000x4
Dynaudio 8" MB in doors
Dynaudio 5" MR in kicks
Dynaudio 1" tweets in dash corners
12" Sealed Elemental Designs sub.
All processing done onboard the DCREFS. (T/A, Xover, PEQ, etc...)

Only plans for this year is a new deck, and changing the sub alignment from a single sealed to 2 IB subs.

Do you ever see Pear Audio cable being used? They are supposedly a great car cable that works well in home systems. I've been impressed with their Comice cable which is reasonably priced.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Huh?
Same political opinions Same audiophile angst Same car Same forum enemies And same propensity to discuss them as everything I've read from you today is pretty much what I remembered of SGladwell so you do focus on the same things. I don't know how everything ended with the old SG but why hide it? Fuuma always knows... I don't know **** about cars and don't like them but I do know SG had a Miata because americans usually see this as being a girly car which I find funny.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
SGladwell: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...4&postcount=10
tongue.gif

That's not my car. Here's a (bad) picture of Eponine, my 1968.5 DS.
n4932022_42217539_7265.jpg
For a DS she's pretty rare. The 1968.5 models were the only ones with the old dashboard and quad-lamp body. Even if I didn't own one I would prefer the original sedan to the Decap. I do like the Chapron round gauges, but otherwise I think the sedan is more interesting.
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I don't know **** about cars and don't like them but I do know SG had a Miata because americans usually see this as being a girly car which I find funny.
Manton helped me figure out something earlier. I actually met the guy you think I am. Taught an LSAT class he took. In fact, I bought said Miata from him. And it does not look "girly" at all.
brg283grilleshot.jpg
Originally Posted by Fuuma
What's your take on Jimmy Carter?
Well, I interned for his center...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads