• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: SW1 shoe store closing

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really sad and unfortunate news - I was looking forward to stopping by in October.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sw1, we hardly knew ye. Didn't this place open up in the last 1 or 2 years?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ccffm1

Reaction score
That is really a shame, as their shoes are beautiful. Yet another credit crunch casualty, I suppose. Whatever they will be doing after sw1, I wish them all the best.

fox81

Reaction score
Went past last month but it was closed. apparently the sales assistant was ill. he did comment later that business had been slow.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manufactured by Alfred Sargent and Grenson among others probably... (see this thread posted by fra)

I've noticed recently these SW1 double monks on ebay. Made by Grenson at masterpierce standards apparently
!BUVLDUwBWk~$(KGrHgoH-EEEjlLlyOEvBKM+ouWNpw~~_1.JPG
link
adding this link here probably will increase too much the price :-(

I've got too many shoes, but no double monks. I'm tempted by CJ Lowndes or some Santonis but could not find them at a reasonable price. These Grensons are not the best I've seen (I have 4 pairs from Grenson Rose), what do you think? (sorry for hijacking the thread)

Hobbs

Reaction score
I called in one morning two weeks ago only to find that it didn't open until lunchtime. They did have some exquisite looking shoes in the window though.

sfo423

Reaction score
Do they make their own shoes or source?

I was looking at the Flavia in oxblood and the Rondine in 'medium brown.' I don't own any oxblood's and not sure if they are too flexible in terms of pairing (clothing colors).

Which color & style do you think is more 'flexible?'

BTW; it costs $50e to ship. Ouch.

sfo423

Reaction score
I am ordering a pair. Shipping for one pair; $50e, two pair; $60e

Anybody else ordering and want to combine shipping?

fra

Reaction score
Dear all, thank you very much for the kind words of many of you.

We indeed faced a dramatic decrease of sales starting in September last year, we had to cut costs and at the end we went a bit in a negative loop and with one only person in the shop part time. This is why we had reduced opening hours.

Notwithstanding the above we always tried to reply to emails. Cavate Noir, when did you try to contact us?

As to the double monks, just to defend our reputation ;-) (we intend to restart the activity one day hopefully in the near future), they are a sample we rejected and which I have been quite surprised and disappointed to see on ebay with our brand on.

Kind regards to all. Fra

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads