• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackberry questions

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is 500mb enough? I doubt i'll be a huge data user. I'll probably use it for GPS more than anything, and the occasional text messaging and SF/bbc.

Is there a big difference between the curve 8900 and the Bold? The Bold is supposed to be the fastest, and I kinda like the crinkled texture on the back (though i wish it were real leather). It's a bit thicker. Is the speed much different? I went to Rogers and the keypads were all locked so i couldn't do anything with them. The Storm is out b/c I want something with a real keypad.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yeah I'm looking down the road to needing a separate phone for business when I start working next year in law (the #1 profession for blackberry use) and the bold looks to be the best option right now. Typing speed is key, comfort, the wifi doesn't hurt. Try out the keyboards. The curve's seems more like the old 8300 keyboard whereas the bold's is more like the 8800. Overall I like the bold better. I don't know if there's anything coming down the pipe that I'll want to pick up next year, though... any idea?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Yeah I'm looking down the road to needing a separate phone for business when I start working next year in law (the #1 profession for blackberry use) and the bold looks to be the best option right now. Typing speed is key, comfort, the wifi doesn't hurt. Try out the keyboards. The curve's seems more like the old 8300 keyboard whereas the bold's is more like the 8800. Overall I like the bold better. I don't know if there's anything coming down the pipe that I'll want to pick up next year, though... any idea?

No clue. I don't keep up with this stuff. I've still got a motorola razr. The biggest thing with me is GPS. Toronto is huge and I don't want to carry a map around all the time, especially when I have job interviews, etc.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that mapping software will keep remapping and downloading the updated maps - which can quickly run into MBs...

The whole point of having a BB is unlimited data and internet..

Chris2289

Reaction score
500mb should be more than ample. I use it heavily and never run out.

I have the pearl and it has frozen up a few times and the keypad has broken which needed a replacement so i would probably go with the curve/bold.

I find the maps functionality very helpful and it has got me out of a sticky situation more than once.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The storm is a piece of junk

When I had a bold for a few weeks, it was damn nice although I prefer the size of the storm. Not sure where the curve fits in there sizewise but the bold is deffinately a more solid device technically.

flashback

Reaction score
the pearl is a bigger piece of junk than the storm

the pearl is the chintsy-est phone they make, meaning the build quality is low. It was my first BB and I fell in love with the service but the phone itself gave me a lot of problems. After moving on from that everything has been a-ok.

anyway, to the OP - I don't think there is really much difference. apart from the obvious size difference, the real things separating the two phones are different keyboards, 3G on the Bold, while the 8900 has a nicer camera. Other than that they both have a lot of similar features.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I got my first BB in late '07, a 8830 WE. Loved it. Great battery life, nice screen, just loved it.

Got a Storm. Hated it the first few days. Almost brought it back. Got the hang of typing on it, and competely love it now. The typing is not as good as a physical keyboard, but it's not bad once you get the hang of it. In every other functional measure, it destroys my WE. Screen = awesome. Came with 9 gig of memory (1 onboard, 8 chip). It's getting some nice apps written for it. I love how it pulls phone numbers out of emails and webpages, so you just press the phone number and it dials.

The Storm just takes a little getting used to.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May

There are a couple of BB's coming out, but the Bold by far is one of the best BB's. The keyboard typing is comfortable and so are the other functiions that it comes with ..

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The Storm just takes a little getting used to.

I've been using the storm for maybe 5 months...I am used to it and I still think it sucks. The typing is fine...not as fast as the bold but it is acceptable. The software is awful though. It has short lockups or gets confused about the orientation all of the time. Turn an iphone sideways and without fail, the transition occurs perfectly. The storm will lag up, jump around, or get confused and simply not turn and this is just one of the many software bug that still have not been fixed. Also after 5-6 months of use, the "click" part of the screen has gotten hard to activate at the far corners of the screen (as in, where the return key would be in portrat mode's keyboard)...the touch sensitive part works fine but the angle does not work well for the actual clicking.

I havn't used any older blackberries so the storm may well be better than your 8830WE but the bold is leaps and bounds ahead of the storm in terms of features, build quality and software.

EDIT: the screen is beautiful though. the bold has an equally pretty screen but it lacks the size of the storm

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I've been using the storm for maybe 5 months...I am used to it and I still think it sucks. The typing is fine...not as fast as the bold but it is acceptable. The software is awful though. It has short lockups or gets confused about the orientation all of the time. Turn an iphone sideways and without fail, the transition occurs perfectly. The storm will lag up, jump around, or get confused and simply not turn and this is just one of the many software bug that still have not been fixed. Also after 5-6 months of use, the "click" part of the screen has gotten hard to activate at the far corners of the screen (as in, where the return key would be in portrat mode's keyboard)...the touch sensitive part works fine but the angle does not work well for the actual clicking.

I havn't used any older blackberries so the storm may well be better than your 8830WE but the bold is leaps and bounds ahead of the storm in terms of features, build quality and software.

I've not played with the Bold, but it seems not be be offered by my local Verizon carrier. If it ain't on Verizon, I'm not buying it, due to local coverage issues.

I found the orientation only to be laggy if I am using a memory intensive theme. I have a little program called "quick pull," which reboots my phone daily, and 4:30 am for me, so I have not had a freeze in the few months I've owned it.

I'm looking forward to the next generation of the full screen phone though. My company pays for everything, so I just upgrade when the new stuff comes out.

supafly

Reaction score
no the plan is not enough the gps uses alot get an iphone if you can they are going to get a tom tom app

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've not played with the Bold, but it seems not be be offered by my local Verizon carrier. If it ain't on Verizon, I'm not buying it, due to local coverage issues.

I found the orientation only to be laggy if I am using a memory intensive theme. I have a little program called "quick pull," which reboots my phone daily, and 4:30 am for me, so I have not had a freeze in the few months I've owned it.

Yeah, no bold for verizon yet which is why my work phone is a storm. I had a bold while we were testing them but with the promise of a bold-like device coming soon for verizon, it didn't make sense to to switch to AT&T...the storm is just another artifact left from testing since we decided to wait.

I must admit I havn't played with themes--I have the default with the stock mountain photo. What is lighter weight? Is there a theme that only shows the app buttons (I hate how the standard view doesnt requires you to click before you get fullscreen menus you can scroll through)? Does a lightweight theme help with orientation lag within other apps? The worst is when I miss a call because it stops ringing by the time I can get to the phone and wait for the orientation lag to figure out what is going on.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Bold over the 8900 (Javelin). Faster w/3G...

Get the 1G option w/Rogers, not 500MB. If you use GPS, which is the most data-intensive app, 1G will not get you very far. I think it's only $5 or $10 more for 1G.

And another piece of advice, DO NOT SIGN A 3-YR CONTRACT W/ROGERS. There are three new wireless licencees now in Canada with service coming online by the end of this year and 2010. Prices will get much better once there is more competition than the current oligopoly. Try to buy an unlocked or used device and just take a monthly plan.

Also, Toronto is the easiest place to get around. Much simpler than Montreal for newcomers since the city is built on a grid with major east-west and north-south arteries easily identifiable from wherever you are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads