• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend Jobs

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buyer's remorse
i love how you automatically assume he's weak and scrawny because he's a scientist. if you really want to rock your world, you should go see x-men because that big burly blue guy is a scientist if you can believe that!

For every buff scientist you can think of, I can think of 2 scrawny ones. Look Mr. Fantastic from the Fantastic 4, he was scrawny and his power....was to get scrawnier.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
For every buff anyone i can think of 2-3 out of shape guys.

Even in a college town i see plenty of normal sized barbacks. Most are barbacks in waiting to be a bartender and i see plenty of normal sized bartenders.

That said, i'd like to bartend some but it's impossible to get into without experience, connections or luck. Barbacks sometimes can get a tending job in the future but that's not always a guarantee

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting tables - I've never seen a decent place that hired for weekends only. Every waiter wants to work Fri-Sun night, that's when money is the best. In my experience, they want you to work two lunch shifts, one weeknight and then you get your two weekend nights if possible.

Bartending - you need experience. Again, never heard of a decent place that hired a bartender straight off the street (or from bartending school, for that matter).

Barbacking is a good option - when I barback, I make $75 plus $10-20 from the bartenders (depending on how many of them there are, how many barbacks). I show up at 9 and I'm done with work by 3. Only worth it if you can work under the table, IMO. (For comparison, when I bartend on a Friday or Saturday, I usually walk with $150 at this place.) It does pay better than retail, you get free/cheap drinks, meet a lot of people.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Barebacking is a good option - when I bareback, I make $75 plus $10-20 from the bartenders (depending on how many of them there are, how many barebacks). I show up at 9 and I'm done with work by 3. Only worth it if you can work under the table, IMO. (For comparison, when I bartend on a Friday or Saturday, I usually walk with $150 at this place.) It does pay better than retail, you get free/cheap drinks, meet a lot of people.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be looking into a few of them. The suggestion about the Reserves was a good one, but I will be traveling overseas in January for 6 months and then enrolled in medical school. It doesn't really work now, but it is something I am considering in the future.

Yes, I am a "scientist" and while I am not "ripped" I am a little better than weak and scrawny.

Thanks again.

justinpba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
and go to Iraq?! I don't think he's looking for that type of civil service as he's only interested in weekend work.

If he enters as a humvee mechanic or general infantry, yes he will go to Iraq, but there are plenty of other jobs that don't require going over seas.

MJC8719x

Reaction score
So, I went and picked up some applications to Borders, Barnes and Noble, J Crew, and a few local restaurants. It has been a long time since I have applied for a job (the lab I worked at first hired me part time back during high school), so would it be customary to attach a resume. My resume, which I have been giving to professors for letters of rec etc., essentially consists of the major activities I was involved in during college, degree, gpa, and then a list of publications and abstracts I have written for work. I do not feel that much of the information is entirely relevant, but should I attach it?

Thanks!

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gl man...

bramiro

Reaction score
There are home based jobs available out there. Granted that that salary isn't that high but it is better than nothing and your time is flexible so you have the option on when to work. And not to mention that the best part of it is you've got to work at your home.

i.gif

i.gif

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bramiro
There are home based jobs available out there. Granted that that salary isn't that high but it is better than nothing and your time is flexible so you have the option on when to work. And not to mention that the best part of it is you've got to work at your home.

i.gif

i.gif

Such as?

bramiro

Reaction score
There are websites available that provides home based jobs. Check elance. Some jobs are data entry, accounting, writing articles, web graphics just to name a few.

i.gif

i.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads