• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on these shoes?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why will it be good for theaching in high school?
Are you trying to be in with the kids?
High school students will respect you more for the quality of your classes or your ability to help connecting with the subject you're teaching than a mere look..
A departure from the obvious suit combo can help you to connect with them on the short term..
The teachers I was fond of were not sartorial gods or trendy fashionistas..

Butterfly

Reaction score
Cheap suede derbys... eck. I don't like the style but I have difficulty understanding the concept that they're not good enough for a high school teacher. I don't remember my teachers dressing well.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maths teacher covered with chalk, geography or history teachers wearing corduroy suits, PE teachers in tight 1980's shorts and a vast array of teachers wearing the most horrendous outfits on earth...
I had a few sharp dressers at my business school...

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
the next teacher i meet with "a minimum of $1,000.00" to spend on shoes will be the first...

will be the first.....

finish your sentence kid.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't bad, if cheap enough. I remember most of my high school teachers wore khakis with sneakers

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
Cheap suede derbys... eck. I don't like the style but I have difficulty understanding the concept that they're not good enough for a high school teacher. I don't remember my teachers dressing well.

Exactly. I for sure never once noticed what shoes my teachers were wearing.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. For $200, they're totally not worth it. You need to think hard even if they're $100 NIB.
2. Not everything in GQ is great, in fact, some are absolutely horrible.

balaskonis

Reaction score
then can you recommend something for me? i showed the picture of justin long from GQ to give you an example of the look i'd go for....i'm open to suggestions in addition to criticism
thanks
paul

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What subject do you teach and are you in an urban setting or a suburban setting?

balaskonis

Reaction score
i am a high school math teacher. suburban upper class area. fairfield county, ct, right near westport.

i have Mon - Thurs to dress nicely shirt/tie, and Fridays I like to go khakis

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that you are looking for some "black shoes for wool pants days, shirt and tie, etc., and maybe a nice pair of chocolate brown wingtip balmoral oxfords". The shoes you showed us are not black and they're not balmoral.. What exactly are you looking for? (ie. am I missing something?)

balaskonis

Reaction score
those shoes are for Dress down days....for example, if i wear a pair of navy blue khaki (light cotton) pants, a button down shirt (no tie)...that was it ...the other days are more dressy days, wehre i wuold look into nicer lokoing shoes.

the jvarvatos are just for laid back look, that's all.

balaskonis

Reaction score
sorry i'm not down with the lingo...i've been trying to learn. i'm just looking for suggestions to simple questions...yet everyone seems to be ripping me here. just forget it, i'll look for different shoes.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
isn't "balmoral oxford" redundant phraseology?

Not really, what else would you call it? A closed laced shoe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads