• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot Dogs

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is all this ****???
confused.gif
Hot Dogs means a dirty water dog from one of those corner/park carts. And yes, like most things, we in NYC do it best. Certain things do not need to be upgraded with organic/prime meats, heirloom phucking tomatoes and the like. This pics make me throw up the same way the thought of a Kobe/shirt ribs burger does, got that crap out of here!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
What is all this ****???
confused.gif
Hot Dogs means a dirty water dog from one of those corner/park carts. And yes, like most things, we in NYC do it best. Certain things do not need to be upgraded with organic/prime meats, heirloom phucking tomatoes and the like. This pics make me throw up the same way the thought of a Kobe/shirt ribs burger does, got that crap out of here!

I really like those Blinski's natural hot dogs. They taste better than your typical nitrate-loaded dogs.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where I grew up in NJ, there was a type of hot dog (odoreater, where are ya, bro?) called an Italian. Jimmy Buff's made it famous. You deep fry a hot dog in like fifty-year old oil, not fast and hard, but a slow simmer. You slap it on a quarter-round of pizza bread, and cover with deep fried potatoes, onions, and peppers. Serve with mustard and ketchup. Mindblowing.

A few of my cousins live in PA, and they have two types of regional dogs -- one has a pickle spear, diced onions and mustard, and comes with a shallow-fried dog, the other 'chili sauce' which is like a very thin chili, with diced onions and mustard over a flat grilled dog. If you get there right during lunch they will be a little browned on two sides. Just insane good. These are truly the best hotdogs I can imagine. Whenever they have those shows on about hotdogs, I watch to see if they will talk about them, but they never do. Jimmy Buffs was once though.

I'd like to try a Chicago dog, but that relish is sick. In a bad way. Had many NYC dogs from pushcarts, yeah, they're alright, but those PA dogs are unreal.

I'm hungry now.

~ H

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
armour hot dogs at football/baseball games with a little mustard= pure bliss.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That sounds delicious. The "hot dogs" in France are half a baguette with two frankfurters and tons of grated gruyere on top, they put it in the oven for a couple minutes to melt the gruyere and you eat it with dijon and ketchup - they don't have any of the other toppings (sauerkraut, relish, etc...). It's not bad

laugh.gif
As a little kid my first trip to Europe included an obligatory stay in Paris where my folks took my sister out to dinner to a Michelin place (Le Saire?) just because she was taking French in school
mad.gif
! My little brother & I were left to fend for ourselves at the little bistro-like spot next to the hotel. Not speaking a word of French we looked around and saw someone eating hot dogs! They were served on a baguette, but who cared - we wouldn't starve! We each ordered 'deaux hot dog' and breathed a sigh of relief. The dogs arrived and we gulped - it seems that a single order consisted of 2 dogs on a baguette. That means my order of 'deaux hot dog' meant I got four.
uhoh.gif
It was at this point that I discovered the 'weird melted french cheese' aspect of the dish.
cry.gif
Of course neither of us got close to finishing one of these things...

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Where I grew up in NJ, there was a type of hot dog (odoreater, where are ya, bro?) called an Italian. Jimmy Buff's made it famous. You deep fry a hot dog in like fifty-year old oil, not fast and hard, but a slow simmer. You slap it on a quarter-round of pizza bread, and cover with deep fried potatoes, onions, and peppers. Serve with mustard and ketchup. Mindblowing.

I was watching the food network Saturday morning and they had a segment on Jimmy Buff's. The Italian looked delicious. It was originally made by the founder's wife, and served during his weekly poker game.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
laugh.gif
As a little kid my first trip to Europe included an obligatory stay in Paris where my folks took my sister out to dinner to a Michelin place (Le Saire?) just because she was taking French in school
mad.gif
! My little brother & I were left to fend for ourselves at the little bistro-like spot next to the hotel. Not speaking a word of French we looked around and saw someone eating hot dogs! They were served on a baguette, but who cared - we wouldn't starve! We each ordered 'deaux hot dog' and breathed a sigh of relief. The dogs arrived and we gulped - it seems that a single order consisted of 2 dogs on a baguette. That means my order of 'deaux hot dog' meant I got four.
uhoh.gif
It was at this point that I discovered the 'weird melted french cheese' aspect of the dish.
cry.gif
Of course neither of us got close to finishing one of these things...

Sounds like a fun experience for kids. I love these things if the baguette is nice and fresh - but they are pretty big

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Sounds like a fun experience for kids. I love these things if the baguette is nice and fresh - but they are pretty big

I've long since gotten over my melted-foreign cheese phobia and often wonder just how much I'd like these now (still probably couldn't finish a double order) ....
drool.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We used to go to this place every day in high school. Nothing like Two dogs all the way, cheeseburger all the way, and fries all the way.

hot_grill_picture_for_website.jpg

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hellbound
This is another thing that I think Chicago does right. Vienna beef on a steamed poppy seed bun, dragged through the garden with tomato, chopped onion, Mustard, lime green relish, sport peppers, kosher dill, and celery salt. Yum!
Chicago_HotDog.jpg

Inspired by this post, I decided to have exactly that for lunch just a min ago, except mine didn't have tomatoes (it was supposed to
mad.gif
). For the record though, I'll eat pretty much any of the dogs in this thread. A simple hot dog with ketchup and mustard is good with me, or a loaded down brat, or deep fried dog, or anything else in between. I really like hot dogs.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We made this tonight after seeing the pic. Delicious.

Glad you liked it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Huntsman
A few of my cousins live in PA, and they have two types of regional dogs -- one has a pickle spear, diced onions and mustard, and comes with a shallow-fried dog, the other 'chili sauce' which is like a very thin chili, with diced onions and mustard over a flat grilled dog. If you get there right during lunch they will be a little browned on two sides. Just insane good. These are truly the best hotdogs I can imagine. Whenever they have those shows on about hotdogs, I watch to see if they will talk about them, but they never do. Jimmy Buffs was once though.

I'd like to try a Chicago dog, but that relish is sick. In a bad way. Had many NYC dogs from pushcarts, yeah, they're alright, but those PA dogs are unreal.

I'm hungry now.

~ H

Yocco's, Lehigh Valley's finest.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the best hot dogs I ever had was a Wahoo Weiner from Wahoo, NB. Some might remember when Letterman had his 'home office' there. They were amazing, but they are no longer sold by mail order.
frown.gif

A couple of years ago I became intrigued w/ a Berkley establishment (Top Dog?) and did some initial research which I have since misplaced - any info appreciated....

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is killing me. I have a serious hunger for a Chicago dog right now. Grrrrrr. I can do Shake Shack, but don't want to deal with the lines. If only I could find Vienna beef dogs, sport peppers, the right relish, celery salt, and poppy seed buns in the grocery stores here. Not likely.

Hellbound

Reaction score
Hebrew National or Kosher best would be a ok substitute for Vienna Beef. As for the sport peppers, You could probably substitute mild pickled Jalepenos from the mexican grocery section.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads