• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailor in the GTA

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
Good to see a lot of Torontonians on this site.
smile.gif

I've heard that Raffa at Yonge Eglinton does some pretty nice tailoring, I've yet to check it out myself though.

Could be - I don't go north of Bloor for any reason though.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdavie
Anyone on here visited James VII on Richmond? http://www.jamesvii.com

- I am the owner. If any of my customers are on here, hopefully they can say something (positive or negative)

I'm curious too. 199 for 3 custom fitted shirts sounds really good but wondering if anyone has any feedback about the quality of the final product. I've never had a shirt tailored from scratch.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky
I'm curious too. 199 for 3 custom fitted shirts sounds really good but wondering if anyone has any feedback about the quality of the final product. I've never had a shirt tailored from scratch.

+1 - would like to see any feedback. Maybe mdavie can offer SFers a deal to try it out...

mdavie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
+1 - would like to see any feedback. Maybe mdavie can offer SFers a deal to try it out...
At these prices I can't go lower as that is already a great deal. I will put it out there, the first person to contact me I will make them a free Prestige dress shirt. Only rules to this are you have to be in Toronto (so you can get fitted in the showroom) and you have to post telling everyone about it. My email and phone number are on the site or you can reply to this thread. Cheers, Mike ----------------------- www.jamesvii.com

mdavie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ranjeev
Replied. Sent an email as well.

That is a real generous offer.

Received your email.

Stay tuned everyone, we'll keep you all posted.

gj555

Reaction score
At these prices I can't go lower as that is already a great deal.

I will put it out there, the first person to contact me I will make them a free Prestige dress shirt. Only rules to this are you have to be in Toronto (so you can get fitted in the showroom) and you have to post telling everyone about it. My email and phone number are on the site or you can reply to this thread.

Cheers,

Mike

-----------------------
www.jamesvii.com

Do you make the shirts yourself or do you send them out? If the latter, are your shirts made in Canada or overseas?

mdavie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Do you make the shirts yourself or do you send them out? If the latter, are your shirts made in Canada or overseas?

Our factories are located in India. Our quality is top-notch and we have complete control from milling to final product. Prior to launching this company I personal sourced from factories from all sides of the globe and found this is by far the best price / quality mix out there.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Mike, thanks again for the generous offer.

If any members have any questions that they would like me to ask Mike, please let me know. I hope to meet with Mike tomorrow.

We'll keep you posted.

osc

Reaction score
At these prices I can't go lower as that is already a great deal.

I will put it out there, the first person to contact me I will make them a free Prestige dress shirt. Only rules to this are you have to be in Toronto (so you can get fitted in the showroom) and you have to post telling everyone about it. My email and phone number are on the site or you can reply to this thread.

Cheers,

Mike

-----------------------
www.jamesvii.com

Very generous of you - Looking forward to seeing the results!!

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent - looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Also took another member's suggestion earlier in this thread and checked out he tailer in Promenade Mall (Bathurst and Steeles). I'm gonna take a few dress shirts to be taken in on Wednesday.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Gents, I'm a bit tied up at work at the moment but I wanted to let you know that I met with Mike earlier this week. On the whole I was pretty impressed. In terms of cost Mike seems to be aiming for that sweet spot between Maxwell's and Harry Rosen so that you get maximum value for your dollar. That's probably in-line with what most of us want. There was a good selection of fabrics but not as many as I would have hoped for but that's probably because I am pretty picky. That said, there was enough of a selection that you could cover the basics pretty easily with Mike's selection. Some of the herringbone and striped fabrics are particularly nice. I choose a striped fabric with french cuffs. If you want a blue and green check shirt, you're out of luck. As Mike said, the production is done in India with Mike taking measurements in his showroom (which is quite nice-he has drinks on hand). The showroom is not a store front-it is on the second floor of 73 Richmond Street West and Mike has to buzz up so you won't be able to see it from street level. In what Mike told me he has a high rate of satisfaction and I could tell from talking to him that he takes pride in what he does and would go the extra mile to make sure you are happy. On my initial inspection the quality of the shirts seemed to be quite good and at least as good as the shirts I have from Harry Rosen so I have no qualms with the use of a factory in India. Mike mentioned that he spent a great deal of time in sourcing the factory he currently uses but I will leave that to him to describe if he wishes to do so. From what I have seen I think Mike is definitely worth a go and you should ring him and at least take a quick look at his wares. I will write a longer post when I receive the shirt in a couple of weeks and on the weekend when I have more time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads