• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Find My Size

RyanZ

Reaction score
Hi there,

I hope that you guys can help me out. I recently graduated from college and now am working in the accounting world. Our firm has a dress code that strattles the fence of business casual and traditional business - my attire depends on the dress code of my client, so I have to have a wide variety of clothing. My problem is that I can't find my sizes and it is driving me crazy. I'm 6'3" and about 155 lbs, and finding out that the clothing world does not cater much to those of us with a swimmers' build.

Suits: My proper suit size would be a 38L - and I know that it doesn't exist anywhere. My mainstay suit is a Boss 38R that barely is long enough for me - maybe just a bit on the short size but it was as good as I could get at the time. In a 40L I feel like I'm swimming. I need suits badly but can't find anything that will fit. I don't want to spend more than $1000.

Slacks: Everybody I work with shops at Brooks Brothers but I just found out that they don't sell my size. Basically I need some gabardine slacks in a 32x34 that are good quality, stylish, and not too expensive. Unfinished is fine if that's what I have to work with. Looking for something no more than $150.

I've literally been going store to store getting the door slammed in my face. I really need clothes and I'm going mad not being able to find any that properly fit me. There are stores out there that carter to those big-and-tall and those overweight - how I wish somebody out there provided an option for those of us tall and slender. I really appreciate all your help in advance.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Don't know about the slacks, but can you honestly not buy any 38R OTR and get it altered?

RyanZ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harry2quinn
Don't know about the slacks, but can you honestly not buy any 38R OTR and get it altered?

The problem is that with my height I need the length that a 38R can give. Unless I'm totally misstaken I thought that jackets really couldn't be altered to be longer.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it strange you can't find 32-34 pants. I thought that was a fairly mainstream size.

Sounds like you're long torso. If you can get by with odd jackets you could consider made to measure jackets.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta admit that after about 5 minutes of Googling I grew weary of trying to track down the elusive 38 Long. Being a 38 Short with a 33.5" waist is no picnic either. The pants however should be pretty easy...lots of 32 unhemmed should work for you (check Buying & Selling). My only suggestion as far as a suit would be to check all the 38s you can find and look for the longest ones out there (makes/models vary widely)...as long as it covers your ass. Best of luck!

Mexicorn

Reaction score
I have what must be the exact same build as you (6'3", 160lbs) so I know how hard it can be to find a fitting suit.

I know it may be scoffed at on this forum, but the last time I was at macy's I tried an Alfani "red label" suit jacket in 40L. It had the shoulders of a 38, and even though it was very wide, it could be slimmed considerably given that the shoulders fit me perfectly. Their pants were 32x30 so they were way to short, but a 34x34 had more than enough length and could be taken in (in lenght & waist).

I also have a cotton Banana Republic "suit" (bought a blazer and pants seperately that luckily matched perfectly) which fit me well in 40L (still a little wide, but good fitting shoudlers) with a 31x34 pair of pants. I'd say try a few different 40L jackets in the store, and check online for pants in your size (though 32x34 should be fairly common).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads