• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EW's 25 greatest "active" film directors.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
One of my favorite movies is a Roman Coppola movie.

Must be because of his name, right?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Kusturica, Polanski, Mikhalkov, WKWai, Kieslowski, C-W.Park, Kitano, N.Moretti, Zhang Yimou, G. NoÃ
00a9.png
...?

Gaspard? I liked Carne and Seul contre tous but is he top 25 worthy?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I love CQ too...

I was just about to say... how can you be sure it was CQ... but then I went and looked.

smile.gif

I liked CQ too.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You know what? Its really easy to just spout off people who you think should be on the list. That takes no balls. MAKE A LIST. Then we too can question everyone you've left off and mock you for being a complete wanker.

There are about 100 people I'd like to put in a top 25 active directors list. That's just the way it goes. I'm comfortable with my list.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
You know what? Its really easy to just spout off people who you think should be on the list. That takes no balls. MAKE A LIST. Then we too can question everyone you've left off and mock you for being a complete wanker. There are about 100 people I'd like to put in a top 25 active directors list. That's just the way it goes. I'm comfortable with my list.
Ok, I'll try to think of one tomorrow. I'll surely forget people. Do we have to include directors that suck now but were good in the last 25 yrs, do they have to be alive, etc? Note that I already posted a top 100 films (max 2 by director) or something...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try to think of one tomorrow. I'll surely forget people. Do we have to include directors that suck now but were good in the last 25 yrs, do they have to be alive, etc?

I was pretty much forced to include Spielberg and Scorcese in the top spot on my list for lifetime accomplishments in moving forward the art of cinema, though I don't think either one of them is a particularly great practicing director anymore. "Great" can mean a lot of things. It can be greatness through being prolific (Miike), Greatness through being consistently good over the course of many years, though your output quantity sucks (Malick) Or anything else... One great movie might qualify a director for a spot on the list, but you better be able to defend that movie. Cause the "nerd" army is out in force with their torches, just waiting to burn someone down in this thread.
smile.gif

They have to be ALIVE, and also still making movies. Generally I would assume a 5 year grace period. So if they've had something come out, or are in the process of making something currently (Like Malick... woot!) They qualify. If they are retired, dead, or haven't put anything out in 6+ years and have nothing that they are working on, I don't think you should put them on the list.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's Malick working on? The New World was probably my favorite film from the last 10 or so years, though I'm probably forgetting something.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
What's Malick working on? The New World was probably my favorite film from the last 10 or so years, though I'm probably forgetting something.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478304/ I'll never understand how Malick's movies seem to be so criminally unappreciated. Badlands, The Thin Red Line, and The New World are amazing. I think that he just stays gone so long people forget about him.
frown.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Ok, 25, in no particular order beside alphabetical:

Arnaud Desplechin
Bertrand Tavernier
Brian DePalma
Chen Kaige
Chris Marker
Christophe HonorÃ
00a9.png

Clint Eastwood
Dardenne brothers
Hayao Miyazaki
Jean-Jacques Beineix
Jean-Luc Godard
Johnnie To
Kiyoshi Kurosawa
Michael Haneke
Patrice Leconte
Patrick Yau
Pedro Almodovar
Philippe Garrel
Roman Polanski
Takeshi Kitano
Aki Kaurismaki
Werner Herzog
Wong-Kar-Wai
Woody Allen
Zhang Yimou

I'm sure I forgot a shitlod of people so don't stone me.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Even though no one particularily asked for it, here's my list. Feel free to call me names or ignore it altogether. However, it's strictly based on who I find interesting and excellent at the moment and the names are in that order. For example, WKW would've topped my list after Happy Together, but now after he's stuck doing that slowmo-advertisement **** over and over again, I can't say I'm particularily interested in hunless he seriously reinvents himself.

And overall I didn't pay much attention to the order. Makim es no sense trying to figure out whether I genuinely like Roy Andersson or Aki Kaurismäki better.

1.Michael Mann
2.Abbas Kiarostami
3.David Cronenberg
4.Terrence Malick
5.Aki Kaurismäki
6.Christian Mungiu
7.Darren Aronofsky
8.Aleksandr Sokurov
9.Zhang Jia-Ke
10.The Coen brothers
11.David Mamet
12.The Dardenne brothers
13.David Lynch
14.Todd Haynes
15.Lars Von Trier
16.David Fincher
17.Roy Andersson
18.Paul Thomas Anderson
19.Clint Eastwood
20.Johan Kling
21.Johnny To
22.Ryan Fleck
23.Bong Joon-Ho
24.Denis Dercourt
25.Richard Linklater

I haven't really been keeping up with whatever's new and interesting in cinema, and I guess it shows here.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny Amiga
Even though no one particularily asked for it, here's my list. Feel free to call me names or ignore it altogether. However, it's strictly based on who I find interesting and excellent at the moment and the names are in that order. For example, WKW would've topped my list after Happy Together, but now after he's stuck doing that slowmo-advertisement **** over and over again, I can't say I'm particularily interested in hunless he seriously reinvents himself.

And overall I didn't pay much attention to the order. Makim es no sense trying to figure out whether I genuinely like Roy Andersson or Aki Kaurismäki better.

1.Michael Mann
2.Abbas Kiarostami
3.David Cronenberg
4.Terrence Malick
5.Aki Kaurismäki
6.Christian Mungiu
7.Darren Aronofsky
8.Aleksandr Sokurov
9.Zhang Jia-Ke
10.The Coen brothers
11.David Mamet
12.The Dardenne brothers
13.David Lynch
14.Todd Haynes
15.Lars Von Trier
16.David Fincher
17.Roy Andersson
18.Paul Thomas Anderson
19.Clint Eastwood
20.Johan Kling
21.Johnny To
22.Ryan Fleck
23.Bong Joon-Ho
24.Denis Dercourt
25.Richard Linklater

I haven't really been keeping up with whatever's new and interesting in cinema, and I guess it shows here.

Check out Il Divo (and his other stuff) and Gomorra, the Italians are back in a big way!

Oh ****, David Mamet, good choice.
frown.gif

Can you explain Aronofsky? I assume Bong-Joon-Ho is include because of memories of murder, a kickass movie I'm happy to have seen on the big screen for max immersive effect.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Check out Il Divo (and his other stuff) and Gomorra, the Italians are back in a big way!
Gomorra I've actually seen, but it didn't really appeal to me all that much. I loved the realism and I loved the setting, but I felt it was way too short. Another hour or so and I would've prolly liked it alot more. I need to check out Garrone's earlier work though (and Sorrentino), as there was much in Gomorra I did find interesting.
Oh ****, David Mamet, good choice.
frown.gif
Yeah, he's really been busy perfecting his craft in his later films. I don't think he's ever made a weak film (hell, House Of Games is one of my all time favorite first films), but he's really found a voice of his own in the last few.
Can you explain Aronofsky? I assume Bong-Joon-Ho is include because of memories of murder, a kickass movie I'm happy to have seen on the big screen for max immersive effect.
Yeah, Memories of Murder got him on the list. Did like The Host too, however. As for Aronofsky, I've quite liked all of his films, but I absolutely love The Fountain. It's a divisive film, but for me, it's somewhat of a minor masterpiece. It's absurd that a film like it ever got released and I love every minute of it. Am willing to defend it further, but I think it's one of those films where you either love it or don't get it. And I don't mean this in a derisive way, merely in the sense that The Fountain simply does not appeal to everyone. Explaining why I love it wouldn't mean much to anyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads