• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

breathing while lifting weights

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth, but something tells me it may better to breathe through my nose only. do you exhale through your mouth or nose?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Doesn't matter much it's preference pretty much, I tend to inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Just as long as you breath (unless you're doing valsalva maneuver)

danilo

Reaction score
inhale through nose
exhale through mouth

I see some people inhale through mouth and exhale through mouth as well... really all the same as long as you breathe. Exhaling through nose would be really weird...

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breathing is breathing. Though if you're really getting hard into the exercise (and into cardio territory), breathing hard through the mouth becomes much easier.

drop

Reaction score
I have nothing to add to the nose/mouth question, but for heavy compounds, such as bench and squat, it helps to fully inflate your abdomen and hold your breath during the eccentric portion of the lift, and exhale during the contraction.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth, but something tells me it may better to breathe through my nose only. do you exhale through your mouth or nose?

Your question is flawed. It is not how to breathe but when you breathe.
Ie. when exerting or at resting phase of exercise.
I do find that taking a few extra breaths when doing a tough set can help you to push.

nathan

Reaction score
When I do squats I don't have a choice. I'm so exhausted that I'm gasping for air with my mouth.

Either way, I don't think it matters. Unless you're that guy that walks around the gym with his mouth open, breathing heavily.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Gasping between reps, or during reps? You shouldn't be gasping while you're lifting the weight.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Gasping between reps, or during reps? You shouldn't be gasping while you're lifting the weight.

Not gasping to the extend the frigging bar will collapse on you but a few short breaths during the actual exertion phase can aid me in lifting whether in benching or squats. It sure beats holding your breath while pushing. Try it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I know, 3x short breaths then gnnnnh.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exhaling through the mouth might be good for the abs, if you are careful. Lifting weights can strengthen the core, you probably know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads