• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ande Whall Denim

andewhall

Reaction score
Hey guys. I e-mailed Mr. Chinook this before about the pocketing etc. It's much more prevalent on the slimmer models and if they are super skin tight.

Yeah it happens a bit on the slimmer models. Its fairly tough 10oz cotton duck pocketing so it has less pocket opening and pocket bag "blow-out". They do end up joining up with whiskers most of the time.

An old tailors trick is to tap a thick seam down with the end of their very heavy shears before sewing so the machine can sew over the seam with more ease, you can apply this method to the end of the pocket bag seam if its really bothering you. Just turn the jeans inside out, put the end seam on a hard, flat surface like a heavy wooden chopping board and gently hammer the seam flat....it works quite well. Some Japanese dudes do this to the cuff before hemming, I have seen a youtube vid of a guy using an old wooden mallet, was pretty cool.

andewhall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
so he improved it for all his jeans or just your pair?
eh.gif

I think there was some pocket liner testing going on when I made Poly's, it's been all the same since the new line came out last year. There may have been one or two that was in the 8oz, not the 10oz.

The Cougar cut has been tapered since the new line started also, all the older models...pre blue/white tab were a looser straight leg. It's similar to a '66 cut, so slim in a vintage sense, not slim in a modern sense. Grifter has always been the flagship slim/straight fit.

Chinook

Reaction score
You beat me to it. I used a rolling pin and it worked quite nicely. Reduced the 'thickness' of the pocket bag in half.

But I should probably pay attention to the rest of this lecture.. Why not pay $5000 to browse styleforum
laugh.gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andewhall
I think there was some pocket liner testing going on when I made Poly's, it's been all the same since the new line came out last year. There may have been one or two that was in the 8oz, not the 10oz.

The Cougar cut has been tapered since the new line started also, all the older models...pre blue/white tab were a looser straight leg. It's similar to a '66 cut, so slim in a vintage sense, not slim in a modern sense. Grifter has always been the flagship slim/straight fit.

When will we be seeing the new black denim?
eh.gif
devil.gif

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think all of them come with the canvas
013-BLUEX.jpg

Tourangh

Reaction score
I have a pair of cougars. Only problem is I broke my camera recently and have been meaning to head to circuit city to get a new one cheap. I could use the cell phone but that will most likely turn out terrible.

obeserabbit

Reaction score
im still confused about the sizing. i want to buy cougars in the xx-di model, and AW recommends sizing up 1". but if they shrink ~1" and can stretch ~1", won't i be left with jeans that are too big?
what if i just bought my true waist and did an initial soak while wearing the jeans

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't worry about the waist on these guys, keep in mind the thigh measurments

pekklemon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obeserabbit
im still confused about the sizing. i want to buy cougars in the xx-di model, and AW recommends sizing up 1". but if they shrink ~1" and can stretch ~1", won't i be left with jeans that are too big?
what if i just bought my true waist and did an initial soak while wearing the jeans

that's what i do with unsanforized denim. but instead i put a clothes hanger. So poly is right, watch the thigh

Chinook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
don't worry about the waist on these guys, keep in mind the thigh measurments

Yeah, it is the thighs that will pose the most problems. They are no where near as 'stretchy' as APCs thus far.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tossu
My Raker 31x32 XX-DI (Shrink to Fit)

before Shrink, new
fight[1].gif

*1st pic with flash.

Oh my god. I think I found my next pair of jeans. How tall are you/how low are you wearing them? I'm thinking about getting a 34 inseam (I'm 5'10), I'm looking for very mild stacking.

gusd671

Reaction score
^it means the thighs will be so tight you'll get blood clots. the waist on the other hand will become much more comfortable by comparison.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads