• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

toronto people

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven

Plus, you dont want to live in Toronto's west-end haha
peepwall[1].gif

what's wrong with the west-end? (seriously, i don't know)

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Live downtown or uptown. I wouldn't commute from very far. GO and TTC always go down, that's why I live within walking distance.

I'd look between Jarvis-Spadina (East-West) and Front-Queen/College-Bloor (North-South) if you want to be downtown. For uptown, commuting on the TTC, I'd look east and west off the Yonge Line up to Lawrence. Summerhill, St. Clair, Davisville, all kinds of great places.

This is just my personal bias, but I just couldn't stand being too far from work. On those days when the TTC goes down and its -20 out (like two days ago), you'll be glad you can walk to work in less than 45 minutes, rather than wait for a shuttle for 2 hours in the wind.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Live downtown or uptown. I wouldn't commute from very far. GO and TTC always go down, that's why I live within walking distance.

I'd look between Jarvis-Spadina (East-West) and Front-Queen/College-Bloor (North-South) if you want to be downtown. For uptown, commuting on the TTC, I'd look east and west off the Yonge Line up to Lawrence. Summerhill, St. Clair, Davisville, all kinds of great places.

This is just my personal bias, but I just couldn't stand being too far from work. On those days when the TTC goes down and its -20 out (like two days ago), you'll be glad you can walk to work in less than 45 minutes, rather than wait for a shuttle for 2 hours in the wind.

exactly. and you dont want to be like, oh look at that, its 12 30 and the last GO train leaves at 12 45, i must go! or you take a bus at 3 am and get to your house in mis at 6am. trust me, single and young its all about location.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I will find out the price one of my friend's girlfriend pays..she's 19 and live in a basement apartment alone and pays for it through a typical teenage job..

Originally Posted by GQgeek
what's wrong with the west-end? (seriously, i don't know)

The west-end is pretty bad. CP24 always has, "shooting in the city's west-end". Basically, if you lived in Toronto previously, you must know Rexdale. The west-end of Toronto is Rexdale, and is notorious for crime. If you're young and are going to be coming home late, it is a bad idea and is only augmented by the fact that you would have to walk due to your distaste for driving.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, would be interesting to know. For the first six months it's all about saving money until i find a job. I won't be going out much anyway for that reason. I'll definitely try to zero-in on apartments in the areas LVoer suggested as well.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Sounds like Parkdale should be a consideration. Directly west of downtown, very interesting nabe with a bit of everything..getting a bit hipster, but still has its edge (read character). Apartments can be very cheap here, but you have to be careful. One of the things I do on the side, is manage a small deco walk-up in Parkdale. There's plenty of diverse cheap eats, shopping, entertainment, and Cheese Boutique is nearby, so you can take people's advice and spend the money on good ingredients and learn how to cook and eat well, rather than eating out out all the time.

You do not need a car here. Walk to the lake...walk to High Park...walk to Roncy/Queen West....Liberty Village. Cycling to most central areas is easy...as is grabbing cabs when necessary. Most importantly, you have streetcars (King, Queen) running frequently, 24hrs, and go anywhere worth going to...streetcars are how civilized people get around....subways are inferior and depressing (buses are not worthy of even mentioning).

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LVoer is right. The TTC sucks so you MUST be within walking distance of a subways stop if you want life to be bearable. Streetcars are nice and quaint but sadly inefficient in Toronto as a main transportation mode. That said, it also depends where you end up getting a job.

Based on the impression I get from you J, I think your best bet may be one of the thousands of new downtown condos you can rent for ~$1,500/mo for 700 sf 1 bdrm. The rental mkt has gotten tighter lately (though I may have one available in a great building for next fall
spam[1].gif
). Most of these places are sort of cookie cutter but there is no denying the convenience of living in a new place with all amenities close by.

The other options are along the Yonge line LVoer mentioned (though I wouldn't go north of Eglinton). Lots of nice places with a more neighborhood feel than living downtown.

The west end neighborhoods like High Park or Bloor West Village are nice but you'll end up in an older house (or basement if no roomates) and pay just as much. Not worth it imo. Same with East end areas like Greektown or Beaches.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is there a good website for finding apartments by neighborhood? I'm still way off from needing a place, but i want to take a look.

Histrion

Reaction score
SField, Toronto has been hit pretty badly by the crisis from what I've gathered. A good friend of mine who comes from Toronto but moved went back to see some of his friends from college and high school over the Holidays, and he could not believe how much of them, who just last year had very good jobs (mostly i-banking), were now looking for employment.

I am not sure that its the best of times to leave for another city without any job already secured or at the very least good chances of being soon gainfully employed. But maybe I'm just risk-averse...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
is there a good website for finding apartments by neighborhood? I'm still way off from needing a place, but i want to take a look.

viewit.ca

mls.ca

toronto star

craigslist

Wighty

Reaction score
You are always going to be paying more for a place right on the subway line. You should try to find a place that is a short bus ride (look for 24 hour/frequent) to a station, it may save you some cash.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
SField, Toronto has been hit pretty badly by the crisis from what I've gathered. A good friend of mine who comes from Toronto but moved went back to see some of his friends from college and high school over the Holidays, and he could not believe how much of them, who just last year had very good jobs (mostly i-banking), were now looking for employment. I am not sure that its the best of times to leave for another city without any job already secured or at the very least good chances of being soon gainfully employed. But maybe I'm just risk-averse...
There's not a whole lot of point to me going back to Montreal after my trip. Toronto just has way more employment opportunities than Montreal ever will, and I may switch jobs a couple of times over the next 3-4 years (in IT it's often faster to advance in salary/responsability by changing company than waiting for your boss to get promoted or quit), so that's important to me. And there's way more hospitals in TO, which is where I'd prefer to work.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wighty
You are always going to be paying more for a place right on the subway line. You should try to find a place that is a short bus ride (look for 24 hour/frequent) to a station, it may save you some cash.

I really really hate buses. That's one thing I'll never do.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just thought of another question. What are the major food markets downtown? I know there's one at/near Queen's Quay. Anything else? I'm used to the Jean-Talon and Atwater markets in Montreal. Being without that sort of thing would make me sad.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member