• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit Ties

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Infinite yay!

Why do you guys like knit ties?

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFKJean
I scored about 5 from J Crew at about $20 a piece. Not too bad considering they're almost $70 a pop...and is the one you got from BR orange or gray?

**** that. Office or not, I'll wear that baby like it's nobody's business. Some of you office working, knit tie having lads will just have to show those bums how it's done...cajun style!!

Here's my problem with the Jcrew knit ties: They have a blinding sheen to them. I like knit ties made out of a wool blend because a lot of knit ties I find that have a silk component blind my eyes. It obviously depends on the silk but I've seen many from different brands that have too much sheen to them and that's not me.

KenN

Reaction score
I love the idea of knit ties in the winter, but I haven't tried it out myself yet.

Any pictorial aids to help the uninitiated? Especially in regards to the length and width of the tie.

And would it be appropriate to wear one with a blazer and trousers on a normal work day? or are knit ties only appropriate for fall/winter shirt, vest and jean days?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea.

I've got several vintage ones from Ebay. So far I've only worn them with a suit or dress shirt/odd trousers, never with jeans.

If someone could post a knit tie with jeans pic that looks good, I might be willing to try it myself.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scored some of the JCrew knit ties this past month for $15 range. Quite nice IMO. I work on Wall St and I wore one just this week. Man, did I hear the ribbing from my bosses all day. But hey, what do they know ? Most of the dudes I work with look like they haven't changed their wardrobe since the crash of '87.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^I think this makes a good point. If one were to wear a tie with jeans, I think something textured like a knit or a wool is the way to go.

It works better, but ties with jeans isn't always the best look anyway without a sweater or something hiding part of the tie. It always looks odd at the waist.

JoyDiffusion

Reaction score
Man, I've been wearing these since high school (grad 'o3)... all vintage, all my dad's from the '70s or '80s... mostly silk, a few wool, all square cut.

It's a definite 'yea', but I hate to see this become TOO popular. I've seen a lot of them lately, and I'd prefer to think of it as my thing... don't want it to become too trendy and inevitably overplayed.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoyDiffusion
I'll add that whenever I do wear them, I always seem to pick up compliments from the birds. Or they'll just yank on the tie and pull me towards them (she was a perfect stranger -- and quite cute).

I had a girl undo my bow tie once. I don't know why girls think they can order men around, especially me since I really don't give a ****. I called her a dumb **** and went to the bathroom to try and retie it (too much Dewar's and couldn't do it).

destinyuv

Reaction score
eBay has a great selection.
F.gif

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
No. In fact, they seem more proper in spring/summer. While silk wovens are always in season, knit ties (of all materials) work best with warm weather clothing and wool wovens make the most sense in fall/winter.

Nah it'd look weird to wear a knit tie during the summer.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoyDiffusion
Man, I've been wearing these since high school (grad 'o3)... all vintage, all my dad's from the '70s or '80s... mostly silk, a few wool, all square cut.

It's a definite 'yea', but I hate to see this become TOO popular. I've seen a lot of them lately, and I'd prefer to think of it as my thing... don't want it to become too trendy and inevitably overplayed.

If 50% of the people in this thread bought them at jcrew, it's not your thing.

I have a couple. One from Ben Silver that's pretty wide. SF user chorse has some great ones for sale at his site howardyount.com.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads