Knit Ties

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TyCooN, Jan 7, 2009.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

Do you guys like pointed knit ties as well? I'm thinking of buying the Kilgour pointed knit tie, but I dont knowwww..any suggestions?

2. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Infinite yay!

Why do you guys like knit ties?

3. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

I scored about 5 from J Crew at about $20 a piece. Not too bad considering they're almost $70 a pop...and is the one you got from BR orange or gray?

Fuck that. Office or not, I'll wear that baby like it's nobody's business. Some of you office working, knit tie having lads will just have to show those bums how it's done...cajun style!!

Here's my problem with the Jcrew knit ties: They have a blinding sheen to them. I like knit ties made out of a wool blend because a lot of knit ties I find that have a silk component blind my eyes. It obviously depends on the silk but I've seen many from different brands that have too much sheen to them and that's not me.

4. KenN

KenN Senior member

I love the idea of knit ties in the winter, but I haven't tried it out myself yet.

Any pictorial aids to help the uninitiated? Especially in regards to the length and width of the tie.

And would it be appropriate to wear one with a blazer and trousers on a normal work day? or are knit ties only appropriate for fall/winter shirt, vest and jean days?

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Yea.

I've got several vintage ones from Ebay. So far I've only worn them with a suit or dress shirt/odd trousers, never with jeans.

If someone could post a knit tie with jeans pic that looks good, I might be willing to try it myself.

6. sazon

sazon Senior member

Scored some of the JCrew knit ties this past month for $15 range. Quite nice IMO. I work on Wall St and I wore one just this week. Man, did I hear the ribbing from my bosses all day. But hey, what do they know ? Most of the dudes I work with look like they haven't changed their wardrobe since the crash of '87.

7. why

why Senior member

^I think this makes a good point. If one were to wear a tie with jeans, I think something textured like a knit or a wool is the way to go.

It works better, but ties with jeans isn't always the best look anyway without a sweater or something hiding part of the tie. It always looks odd at the waist.

8. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

Man, I've been wearing these since high school (grad 'o3)... all vintage, all my dad's from the '70s or '80s... mostly silk, a few wool, all square cut.

It's a definite 'yea', but I hate to see this become TOO popular. I've seen a lot of them lately, and I'd prefer to think of it as my thing... don't want it to become too trendy and inevitably overplayed.

9. why

why Senior member

Why do you guys like knit ties?

Good for OCBDs.

10. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

I'll add that whenever I do wear them, I always seem to pick up compliments from the birds. Or they'll just yank on the tie and pull me towards them (she was a perfect stranger -- and quite cute).

11. why

why Senior member

I'll add that whenever I do wear them, I always seem to pick up compliments from the birds. Or they'll just yank on the tie and pull me towards them (she was a perfect stranger -- and quite cute).

I had a girl undo my bow tie once. I don't know why girls think they can order men around, especially me since I really don't give a shit. I called her a dumb cunt and went to the bathroom to try and retie it (too much Dewar's and couldn't do it).

12. destinyuv

destinyuv New Member

eBay has a great selection. [​IMG]

13. theom-

theom- Senior member

No. In fact, they seem more proper in spring/summer. While silk wovens are always in season, knit ties (of all materials) work best with warm weather clothing and wool wovens make the most sense in fall/winter.

Nah it'd look weird to wear a knit tie during the summer.

14. rsgould

rsgould Well-Known Member

yes to knit ties. fyi, hickey is selling their cashmere knits for $40 right now.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Man, I've been wearing these since high school (grad 'o3)... all vintage, all my dad's from the '70s or '80s... mostly silk, a few wool, all square cut.

It's a definite 'yea', but I hate to see this become TOO popular. I've seen a lot of them lately, and I'd prefer to think of it as my thing... don't want it to become too trendy and inevitably overplayed.

If 50% of the people in this thread bought them at jcrew, it's not your thing.

I have a couple. One from Ben Silver that's pretty wide. SF user chorse has some great ones for sale at his site howardyount.com.