• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I reminded my mom that the only thing going through a 17 year old's mind is SEXXX but she claims that he is "different."

Not always, maybe i'm just an exception to the rule though. In line with the thread, i'm too apathetic regarding almost everything ATM, and it isn't "senior-itis." I mean, I have always been lazy, but I really don't give a **** about much anything right now. I'm at a cross-roads in my life where I have to begin to decide what I want to do, and I used to have a good idea of what I wanted out of life, but now I honestly have no clue whatsoever. Everything I once loved I now hate, I have no clue what to do in Chem because I don't care and I didn't take regular Chem beforehand. Maybe i'll just deal with things the modern way of pharmaceuticals.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
You know what's pissing me off?

**** like this:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=94516

How many new-member threads have we had here from frightened, sad little 16-19 year olds who are so scared of people saying they look "queer" or "gay" that they join a forum asking how to dress more "manly/butch?" What kind of ******* immature, puerile, scared little shitbags are we raising in this country?

Yet when I ask if people can lay off the gay slurs I'm told that I'm being too sensitive and it's all meant in jest and I should just get over it. Hmmmm...Rach, maybe it's because this place fosters such attitudes? The casual lurker could easily get the idea that that's the attitude around here.

b

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Do we have to do another DWaG?? That was one of the weakest weeks SF has ever seen, IMO.

No offense meant to anyone.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Yet when I ask if people can lay off the gay slurs I'm told that I'm being too sensitive and it's all meant in jest and I should just get over it. Hmmmm...Rach, maybe it's because this place fosters such attitudes? The casual lurker could easily get the idea that that's the attitude around here. b
I really don't think it does foster such attitudes. There are occasionally hilariously inept "scared" insecure postings... but those are present anywhere and generally are castigated rather quickly. BUT, really, I don't know; I guess you might be right in that I assumed a higher level of critical thinking/reading skills on the part of most members in that they could "read between the lines" when a joke was being made and when a scared, frightened homophone thought he might have found "a place to feel safe." I do think most members can tell the differences, but then again, maybe not. Nevertheless, my issue with you on that past thread was that individual cases of "slurs" needed to be handled individually by member's themselves, not by a pronouncement by "the government." If I see somebody saying something out of line, I call them on it and so do others (you do as well, which is good). I just didn't think that it needed to be a forum policy of policing language. On the other hand, if you or I make a joke that plays off/interrogates a stereotype to show its shallowness, then I don't think it should be "deleted" just because some people don't read well and think homophobia is perpetuated here.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My dad just called me a ***** because I refused to shovel the deck. Does he really expect me to shovel in cashmere Incotex?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad just called me a ***** because I refused to shovel the deck. Does he really expect me to shovel in cashmere Incotex?

Yes. And sigged.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

he's right though, isn't he?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Nevertheless, my issue with you on that past thread was that individual cases of "slurs" needed to be handled individually by member's themselves, not by a pronouncement by "the government."

I actually wasn't intending some rule or something, I was just asking people to stop using the words. Hence, my saying that none of these people would use, nor would anyone accept, the n-word, etc. But we can agree to disagree over what effect the joking usage of the words has.

And, yes, Conne you're a ***** for not shoveling the snow. Are your parents paying for college? Yes? Then go shovel the snow for them.

b

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
And, yes, Conne you're a ***** for not shoveling the snow. Are your parents paying for college? Yes? Then go shovel the snow for them. b
I already did. There is a thin layer of slush and my dad insisted I shovel it off for the dog. It wasn't necessary.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already did. There is a thin layer of slush and my dad insisted I shovel it off for the dog. It wasn't necessary.

I think with the amount of money they are pouring into your education you should do it whether or not you find it to be necessary.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

your dad should decide what is nessasary or not. get your coat on and be a man (or a slightly more manly girly boy)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I feel a bit better. He's a nice guy, I think I heard him address my grandfather as "sir" which is a plus. Weak handshake though! He is quite handsome. Why...why am I out of breath? Oh no
inlove.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I feel a bit better. He's a nice guy, I think I heard him address my grandfather as "sir" which is a plus.

Weak handshake though!

He is quite handsome. Why...why am I out of breath? Oh no
inlove.gif

Oy vey!
eh.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kidding aside, he's better than I expected him to be. My fears are somewhat assuaged.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads