• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Asians wear tweeds, browns, and bold patterns?

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most Caucasians would probably advise against wearing tweed, too. (not to mention bow ties, also mentioned in the OP) Most would probably also shy away from bold patterns, at least of the very specific type we're talking about. It's going to be quite a small niche wherever you go.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like tweed, corduroy and browns. Not so much bold patterns like window panes, though. Glen plaid, yes. I think mafoo looks good in his outfits. The fabrics look great, just the cuts are out of proportion for him.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that grey herringbone jacket in the middle looks great. who made it?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinese people tend to have black appearing hair (arguably very dark brown but the appearance is generally black except in some types of lighting). Black clothes generally go well with our hair. In China, particularly SH/**, people tend to be very tanned and some browns do not provide the appropriate contrast. For those with pale skin dark brown can work perfectly well.

Tweed, on the other hand, is something inherently different. It looks very old manish. The only Chinese person I know who would wear a tweed jacket is one of my aunts and she is very British, like her husband.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Tweed, on the other hand, is something inherently different. It looks very old manish. The only Chinese person I know who would wear a tweed jacket is one of my aunts and she is very British, like her husband.

I think it's all about the cut, and not necessarily about the fabric itself. It can look old manish, but I don't agree with that as a generalisation. I mean, take a look at Andrew Yew's Mahon, or some of the stuff Voxsartoria posted on the Anderson & Sheppard's expatriate thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=67722

Granted, a few of Vox's items are not strictly tweed, but they certainly have the appearance of it
laugh.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweeds: don't see any reason why not...

Browns: only if your skin tone is pinkish (instead of yellowish). Light browns are very hard to pull off for East Asians as it does not provide enough contrast to either pinkish or yellowish skin tones.

Bold patterns: will look ludicrous on people with small frames, regardless of ethnicity.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Bold patterns: will look ludicrous on people with small frames, regardless of ethnicity.

Are you throwing down again?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tweed, on the other hand, is something inherently different. It looks very old manish.

Possibly. But I think that you are committing the sin of thinking of garments as self-standing objects, when if fact they clothe people who have a variety of personalities. Even Chinese people have a variety of personalities...or so I saw on documentary once.

A young man with a histrionic, lively or engaging personality is not going to become old manish from wearing tweed. A young man with none of those qualities will seem like an old man no matter what he wears.

Originally Posted by academe
I think it's all about the cut, and not necessarily about the fabric itself. It can look old manish, but I don't agree with that as a generalisation. I mean, take a look at Andrew Yew's Mahon, or some of the stuff Voxsartoria posted on the Anderson & Sheppard's expatriate thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=67722

Granted, a few of Vox's items are not strictly tweed, but they certainly have the appearance of it
laugh.gif

I have some gnarly tweeds in the pipeline in case you want to reverse your opinion later.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Even Chinese people have a variety of personalities...or so I saw on documentary once.

This flies in the face of the commonly held Borg theory.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some gnarly tweeds in the pipeline in case you want to reverse your opinion later.

You have tweeds made up with formal peak lapels, so perhaps there is no hope for you...

I happen to have a 4x1 DB tweed jacket, which might disqualify me from making the above comment (although it came from a consignment shop for the cost of a sandwich).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This flies in the face of the commonly held Borg theory.

Believe me, I was both startled and humbled by my prior ignorance.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
You have tweeds made up with formal peak lapels, so perhaps there is no hope for you...

Faux tweed.

Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
I happen to have a 4x1 DB tweed jacket, which might disqualify me from making the above comment (although it came from a consignment shop for the cost of a sandwich).

That sounds rockin'.

Post pics so that we can judge if you should have gone with the sandwich.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Believe me, I was both startled and humbled by my prior ignorance.

I'm trying to get to where you are, but the voice in my head keeps saying 'we', not 'me'.
frown.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
1) Isn't Mahon a Saville row tailor? That is pretty old manish imo.

Have you encountered such clothes in person?

2) Vox is Asian? I was under the impression he was Caucasian.

I prefer melanin-challenged.

3) Agree with vitaminC re: bold patterns for smaller/shorter people. It overwhelms us. I've seen many garments with patterns I thought would look great but when I tried them on they took away from my focus (which is fit).

Hmmm...I'm not sure that "fit" is really a concern of yours given your first point.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads