Should Asians wear tweeds, browns, and bold patterns?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by babygreenspots, Nov 3, 2008.

1. winston

winston Senior member

Most Caucasians would probably advise against wearing tweed, too. (not to mention bow ties, also mentioned in the OP) Most would probably also shy away from bold patterns, at least of the very specific type we're talking about. It's going to be quite a small niche wherever you go.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I like tweed, corduroy and browns. Not so much bold patterns like window panes, though. Glen plaid, yes. I think mafoo looks good in his outfits. The fabrics look great, just the cuts are out of proportion for him.

3. justsayno

justsayno Senior member

^ that grey herringbone jacket in the middle looks great. who made it?

4. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

Chinese people tend to have black appearing hair (arguably very dark brown but the appearance is generally black except in some types of lighting). Black clothes generally go well with our hair. In China, particularly SH/BJ, people tend to be very tanned and some browns do not provide the appropriate contrast. For those with pale skin dark brown can work perfectly well.

Tweed, on the other hand, is something inherently different. It looks very old manish. The only Chinese person I know who would wear a tweed jacket is one of my aunts and she is very British, like her husband.

5. academe

academe Senior member

Tweed, on the other hand, is something inherently different. It looks very old manish. The only Chinese person I know who would wear a tweed jacket is one of my aunts and she is very British, like her husband.

I think it's all about the cut, and not necessarily about the fabric itself. It can look old manish, but I don't agree with that as a generalisation. I mean, take a look at Andrew Yew's Mahon, or some of the stuff Voxsartoria posted on the Anderson & Sheppard's expatriate thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=67722

Granted, a few of Vox's items are not strictly tweed, but they certainly have the appearance of it [​IMG]

6. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

Tweeds: don't see any reason why not...

Browns: only if your skin tone is pinkish (instead of yellowish). Light browns are very hard to pull off for East Asians as it does not provide enough contrast to either pinkish or yellowish skin tones.

Bold patterns: will look ludicrous on people with small frames, regardless of ethnicity.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Bold patterns: will look ludicrous on people with small frames, regardless of ethnicity.

Are you throwing down again?

- B

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Tweed, on the other hand, is something inherently different. It looks very old manish.

Possibly. But I think that you are committing the sin of thinking of garments as self-standing objects, when if fact they clothe people who have a variety of personalities. Even Chinese people have a variety of personalities...or so I saw on documentary once.

A young man with a histrionic, lively or engaging personality is not going to become old manish from wearing tweed. A young man with none of those qualities will seem like an old man no matter what he wears.

I think it's all about the cut, and not necessarily about the fabric itself. It can look old manish, but I don't agree with that as a generalisation. I mean, take a look at Andrew Yew's Mahon, or some of the stuff Voxsartoria posted on the Anderson & Sheppard's expatriate thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=67722

Granted, a few of Vox's items are not strictly tweed, but they certainly have the appearance of it [​IMG]

I have some gnarly tweeds in the pipeline in case you want to reverse your opinion later.

- B

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Even Chinese people have a variety of personalities...or so I saw on documentary once.

This flies in the face of the commonly held Borg theory.

10. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

I have some gnarly tweeds in the pipeline in case you want to reverse your opinion later.

You have tweeds made up with formal peak lapels, so perhaps there is no hope for you...

I happen to have a 4x1 DB tweed jacket, which might disqualify me from making the above comment (although it came from a consignment shop for the cost of a sandwich).

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

This flies in the face of the commonly held Borg theory.

Believe me, I was both startled and humbled by my prior ignorance.

- B

12. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

will respond later, in edit

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

You have tweeds made up with formal peak lapels, so perhaps there is no hope for you...

Faux tweed.

I happen to have a 4x1 DB tweed jacket, which might disqualify me from making the above comment (although it came from a consignment shop for the cost of a sandwich).

That sounds rockin'.

Post pics so that we can judge if you should have gone with the sandwich.

- B

14. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Believe me, I was both startled and humbled by my prior ignorance.

I'm trying to get to where you are, but the voice in my head keeps saying 'we', not 'me'. [​IMG]

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

1) Isn't Mahon a Saville row tailor? That is pretty old manish imo.

Have you encountered such clothes in person?

2) Vox is Asian? I was under the impression he was Caucasian.

I prefer melanin-challenged.

3) Agree with vitaminC re: bold patterns for smaller/shorter people. It overwhelms us. I've seen many garments with patterns I thought would look great but when I tried them on they took away from my focus (which is fit).

Hmmm...I'm not sure that "fit" is really a concern of yours given your first point.

- B