• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you clean your Wool pants

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonvolt10
How do we remove the wrinkles that appear after 4 or 5 wears?

This is where steaming comes into play.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
I only clean them if they are soiled. Other than that a little spot cleaning should increase the life span.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was informed by the god's of SF that steaming strips away or simply obliterates the natural oils in wool, resulting in an unnatural shine.

Originally Posted by KObalto
This is where steaming comes into play.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you store your wool slacks in the freezer?

Originally Posted by Willsw
Step 1: Treat them like raw denim.

Step 2: Go start a thread in SW&D about how often to wash raw denim.

(Step 3: ???????)

Step 3: Find happiness in your appropriately washed pants.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Despos is the only person on SF whom I have ever seen write anything critical of steamers. I don't recall him saying that it did anything bad to the oils. Rather, I thought he said that steaming was a poor substitute for a good pressing, and even tended to steam out some of the benefits of a good pressing.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Despos is the only person on SF whom I have ever seen write anything critical of steamers. I don't recall him saying that it did anything bad to the oils. Rather, I thought he said that steaming was a poor substitute for a good pressing, and even tended to steam out some of the benefits of a good pressing.

I believe it was jefferyd that illustrated the hazards of steaming wool clothing. But it was mostly in reference to suit jackets. I take the liberty to link his message.

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...4&postcount=19

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I dry clean mine as infrequently as possible during the season, and once at the end of the season before storage for summer.

+1. i pretty much do the same thing. will probably be taking in my summer pants and shirts to the dry cleaners this weekend for a final cleaning before F/W storage.

-Jeff

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonvolt10
How do we remove the wrinkles that appear after 4 or 5 wears? What about if you get caught in a downpour?

Simply get the pants (and suit) pressed as opposed to cleaned?

After every wear I brush the pants down to remove large dirt particles; I also do the inside of the cuffs as they can accumulate lots of dirt.

If the pants is wrinkly, then I steam and press with my steamy iron. I use lots of pressure to simulate a heavy iron.

So far so good.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suppose that you are in a hot room and perspire in your clothes. what do you do to clean sweat that dried up inside of your pants?

John Stevenson

Reaction score
I take them to the cleaners if they are noticeably dirty, or they for some reason smell. I would say about 20 wears per pant, maybe more. I steam them once every 5 wears and repress the creases.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like this whole "no-drycleaning" this is overblown. While I agree that gratutitous drycleaning is not a great idea, your pants will not spontaneously combust upon drycleaning. Odds are, if you really think it needs cleaning, it probably does.

gentleman amateur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
I was informed by the god's of SF that steaming strips away or simply obliterates the natural oils in wool, resulting in an unnatural shine.

It is dry cleaning that does so, not steaming.

Originally Posted by needshoehelp
I feel like this whole "no-drycleaning" this is overblown. While I agree that gratutitous drycleaning is not a great idea, your pants will not spontaneously combust upon drycleaning. Odds are, if you really think it needs cleaning, it probably does.

Why is it overblown? I think that the critics of dry cleaning from Savile Row would know what they are talking about.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants should be cleaned before pressing.

One problem with waiting until stains are visible is that they might then be impossible to remove. Some habits described are unpleasant to read.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads