• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Less traditional cut suit options with good quality

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried and worn a number of different suits (never MTM though). I am 6'1", 180 lbs. slim. I have tried Canali, Zegna, and Armani all of which dont seem to fit me very well at least the look I am going for, they all fit rather boxy, American traditional look. I am a 2L law student and will be entering the legal field next semester. I am looking for suits that are not too non-traditional/slim (ie D&G or DIor) but something that doesnt look too traditional. I am thinking something in between. Far too many people in my profession dress like **** on a daily basis IMO, the bankers know how to dress the lawyers do not, it is a fact of life and I will admit it.

So far what I have tried and liked has been RLBL and Versace. The quality on both seemed quite decent and the price isnt too exuberant.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? Am I right on with RLBL, RLPL, and Versace as being my best choices? I am thinking Dolce (prob wouldnt spend the money on it anyway), Dior, Jil Sander are prob. all a bit too slim/modern for work wear, great for going out at night, not so great for meeting with clients. Image is very important in my field and I need too look the part.
I need too look the part.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL Blue label, RL Black label (maybe too slim for your field), TaT conservative cut. Brooks Fitzgerald cut. Stick with gray/charcoal suits (navy/dark blue too powerful imo).

oh, and navy/white red/white repp ties.

just imo. i dont work in law so take my advice with a grain of salt.

kdaust

Reaction score
Just go and try on 10 different makes, including those you mentioned.

Get some that fit well, and look good on YOU... Not the guy in the catalogue.

As far as going too non-traditional, if you stick to standard colours and patterns (Navy, greys, conservative pinstripes and windowpanes) noone will care that your suits are that little bit slimmer than theirs (except they might be jealous you can fit into them).

ps. I do work in the legal field, but I don't think it matters.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust
Just go and try on 10 different makes, including those you mentioned.

Get some that fit well, and look good on YOU... Not the guy in the catalogue.

As far as going too non-traditional, if you stick to standard colours and patterns (Navy, greys, conservative pinstripes and windowpanes) noone will care that your suits are that little bit slimmer than theirs (except they might be jealous you can fit into them).

ps. I do work in the legal field, but I don't think it matters.

Good advice.

Do take your time and don't settle until you find what works best for you. If you find what really excites you, then you'll more likely to wear it with complete confidence, which is the best accessory.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Good advice.

Do take your time and don't settle until you find what works best for you. If you find what really excites you, then you'll more likely to wear it with complete confidence, which is the best accessory.

I have tried on every brand that I know of. I have yet to find anything I really like besides RLBL and a couple of Versace peak lapel suits, liked Prada, also a few Dior suits but they were super slim (like I said above too slim for work IMO). Most Dolce that I have seen have patterns or details that are bit funky and I just dont think they are worth the $$$. Also tried on one Burberry that I liked, it was called 'Brit' I believe.

I wasnt too fond of the Canali, Zegna, Brioni, Armani all felt kind of boxy on me. I have yet to try Gucci, Paul SMith, Isaia, or Brooks Brothers (which I avoided after hearing their suits were very 'american').

More than I want to spend= Brioni, Tom Ford, and others at that level

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I have tried on every brand that I know of. I have yet to find anything I really like besides RLBL and a couple of Versace peak lapel suits, liked Prada, also a few Dior suits but they were super slim (like I said above too slim for work IMO). Most Dolce that I have seen have patterns or details that are bit funky and I just dont think they are worth the $$$. Also tried on one Burberry that I liked, it was called 'Brit' I believe.

I wasnt too fond of the Canali, Zegna, Brioni, Armani all felt kind of boxy on me. I have yet to try Gucci, Paul SMith, Isaia, or Brooks Brothers (which I avoided after hearing their suits were very 'american').

More than I want to spend= Brioni, Tom Ford, and others at that level

I have a hard time envisioning those italians as boxy. We're similar measurements... are you talking about how they look right off the rack, pre-tailoring?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I have a hard time envisioning those italians as boxy. We're similar measurements... are you talking about how they look right off the rack, pre-tailoring?

yes off the rack, I suppose boxy isnt the right word but I just didnt think they looked that great on me (although the sales guy said each looked wonderful), maybe after some altering they would look a bit better but then if it doesnt your stuck with it...

what suits do you tend to lean towards? btw I am about a 41r jacket, 42r in RLBL, 41r in Prada, 40r versace

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant

Maybe the OP is referring in part to the padded shoulder that is more prevalent with these suits? I have a Canali with rather squared shoulders and it definitely creates a boxier, more structured look overall than do my American soft-shouldered suits.

greyinla

Reaction score
You might also consider Boss Red Label and Z-Zegna. Not the same level of quality as RLBL, but a similarly trim cut and sometimes interesting fabrics

JTA

Reaction score
For fashion brand suit.

My experience with Jil Sander is that suit cuts slim but not extreme nor aggressive to make it too fashion forward.

It is definitely one of the best 'to wear' to suit along with Costume National as from my understanding, those two are canvassed and fits well for slim people.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Image is very important in my field and I need too look the part.
I need too look the part.

Off topic but as the most junior woodchuck lawyer no one is going to care what you look like, as long as you're not scruffy. There are far more important things in lawyering than image. Being able to(o) spell for starters ...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R. Caruso
Boglioli
Sartorio

all are not boxy, Caruso and Boglioli can be had at a nice discount if you search for them.

Soft shoulders, slim cut, and have a nice shape right off the bat.
The problem with the American suits is not the shoulders but the rest of the coat, they are potato sacks with soft shoulders.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greyinla
You might also consider Boss Red Label and Z-Zegna. Not the same level of quality as RLBL, but a similarly trim cut and sometimes interesting fabrics

Not interested in either of those, the quality is **** and the price isnt a whole lot less than RLBL.

Originally Posted by penguin vic
Off topic but as the most junior woodchuck lawyer no one is going to care what you look like, as long as you're not scruffy. There are far more important things in lawyering than image. Being able to(o) spell for starters ...

WTF is a woodcheck layer, and I dont now wher you get ur info from but image is a huge part of being a lawyer especially if you are in front of clients, ever. A client isnt going to have any real knowledge of your ability wether you are partner, an asociate, shareholder, or solo (when they first meet you anyway). Like it or not they are going to jugde you on your look, personality, and the words that come out of your mouth. Futhermore I like to look good regardless of what I am doing working at some IT job or being a lawyer. To say image isnt important is just wrong, bac on topick.

Originally Posted by antirabbit
R. Caruso
Boglioli
Sartorio

all are not boxy, Caruso and Boglioli can be had at a nice discount if you search for them.

Soft shoulders, slim cut, and have a nice shape right off the bat.
The problem with the American suits is not the shoulders but the rest of the coat, they are potato sacks with soft shoulders.

Are these mainly brands that need to be purchased online or can they be found at local retailers?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
My experience with Jil Sander is that suit cuts slim but not extreme nor aggressive to make it too fashion forward.

It is definitely one of the best 'to wear' to suit along with Costume National as from my understanding, those two are canvassed and fits well for slim people.

I agree about Jil Sander. You really should give their "Tailor Made" line a try. The suits are cut modern and slim but not at all "fashion-y" or super-slim like Dior and Prada. Definitely something that can be worn to a conservative office without raising any eyebrows, and the quality is great to boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads