• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bag stuff

jrh

Reaction score
By far the nicest shoulder bags I have are by Ghurka. I have seen nothing to compare in quality and style. However, my Filson medium field bag is a third the cost and very nice for those more ruggered days (although Gurka is tough enough, I preserve them). I have a Bisonte shoulder bag which is not of the English field bag style, but an Italian classic.

A use a Zero Halliburton Attache that is industructable, very nicely made, and way cool. ZB also does other nice hard cases, for cameras and lap-tops.

I prefer a shoulder bag, generally, because they are very functional; giving a more down to earth feel.

thc

Reaction score

Tom

Reaction score
I got my shoulder bag from e-bay at a reasonable price. Â It is caled the "clipper" and it is made by tusting. Â It is quite simply one of the nicest bags I have seen. Tusting Bags -Tom

HermesGuy

Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread to continue discussion on what I see as a trend that is only going to continue to get bigger and bigger:
Bags (totes, messenger, etc) for men. (I'm not referring to briefcases)

I am not a fan of shoulder/messenger bags, for several reasons. If you carry a shoulder bag and are wearing a suit or sportcoat, the bag pulls the jacket down, off the shoulder and makes for a sloppy look. If you are wearing a sweater, it will enventually cause that area on the shoulder and across the arm to pill.
I do however love a tote, or book bag. I prefer one with a shoulder stap so that if you are in need of both hands suddenly, you can throw the bag on your shoulder, momentarily.
Attached is my favorite bag (I have several other bags but this one is perfect). This bag is hand made using saddle stitching, matte crocodile, lined in reindeer. Inside are several pockets. The trim is box-calf leather...and the handle is one continuous piece of leather. It's light and incredibly utilitarian.
What are your opinions and thoughts on this trend?
CIMG3537.jpg

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
^^^It's too large and purse-like for my use.

somewhat contradictory.

Webster's Dictionary: Purse: a small bag for money (2): a receptacle (as a pocketbook) for carrying money and often other small objects b: a receptacle (as a pouch) shaped like a purse

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That looks like a quality piece. Is it by Hermes?
I agree, it does appear to be of high quality. It looks nice, but as mentioned earlier, it wouldn't work for me.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That looks like a quality piece. Is it by Hermes?

No, however it is made using Hermes tools, saddle stitching, and the skin is from their supplier. It is entirely hand-made and took approx. 35 hours to make.
When I was in the Hermes store on Rodeo Drive in B.H., the store manager and craftsperson in the store were certain it was made by an Hermes craftsperson, although it wasn't.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My many female friends here in the city have been asking me about the stylish men wearing tote bags out and about. I dress up on a consistent basis, but I'd not use a tote bag unless it was cloth and for groceries. I think this is a trend that will remain only with gay men. None of my female friends think it's something a straight man should be carrying around. It seems a fairly strong and visible signifier of your demographic, akin to wearing women's jeans. (No, I'm not homophobic, but I'd prefer women aren't confused about my sexual orientation.)

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
My many female friends here in the city have been asking me about the stylish men wearing tote bags out and about. I dress up on a consistent basis, but I'd not use a tote bag unless it was cloth and for groceries. I think this is a trend that will remain only with gay men. None of my female friends think it's something a straight man should be carrying around. It seems a fairly strong and visible signifier of your demographic, akin to wearing women's jeans. (No, I'm not homophobic, but I'd prefer women aren't confused about my sexual orientation.)

ROFLMAO

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems to me that wearing girl jeans is more an emblem of the hipster than the gay man. Of course, they may be a gay hipster, but who can really tell?

That said, I see many men at the library using tote bags; but then, they aren't crocodile skin. Rather, they are items from Whole Foods and that sort of thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads