1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bag stuff

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cristobal, Aug 5, 2003.

1. HermesGuy

HermesGuy Senior member

After reading Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Lustre i cannot purchase anything LV.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

MCM was bought by a Korean conglomerate and they are attempting to reintroduce the brand.

Colette had a few collaboration pieces, but frankly, the attempt seems futile. They are trying to make it more minimalist, but I think its strength was in its excessive obviousness.

There are TONS of old, German made, MCM in Japanese recycle shops at very cheap prices. The stuff is hideous, but as you mentioned, in a kitchy way. I almost picked up one of their old coated canvas wallets in that tacky ochre-yellow-mud color and black MCM logo with terracotta lining and a big gold plaque on the inside.

I passed, just because I never would have used it... but it was hilarious...

3. spertia

spertia Senior member

I think that a lot of the newer tote bags for men (or unisex bags) are actually pretty appealing in concept and appearance, but I would feel like a poser for carrying one, simply because I can't imagine needing to carry that much stuff around with me on a day-to-day basis. Unless you guys are toting books and magazines, what do you fill these bags with? I typically carry nothing more than keys, money, and phone, and so I have no need for even a tiny bag, much less a tote.

4. HermesGuy

HermesGuy Senior member

If you live/work in the city you need several things. Phone/wallet/agenda/keys/phone/writing instrument/eyeglasses/sunglasses/paper/business cards

5. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

All of the MCM bags I've seen at bloomingdales are hideous. Funnily enough, many men carry tote bags in Washington DC, albeit, generic canvas ones. I see it as an improvement.

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I carry a Monocle x Porter black canvas tote bag on a daily basis...

Just got one of the new BR leather totes as well.

7. spertia

spertia Senior member

If you live/work in the city you need several things. Phone/wallet/agenda/keys/phone/writing instrument/eyeglasses/sunglasses/paper/business cards

True, but that still does not seem like enough stuff to come close to filling a tote bag.

8. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

Logoed messenger bags scream "gay" to me. Especially egregious would be something like a D&G messenger bag with a huge D&G on it.

Some Prada ones can be acceptable, but they also seem to be very much a "gay" thing. Perhaps, Prada is stealth gay; Larry Craig probably had a Prada nylon bag.

I hope you are not referring to those cheap, chintzy nylon jobs that I keep seeing at Saks. A plastic shopping bag from Publix would be a better option IMO

9. rach2jlc

I hope you are not referring to those cheap, chintzy nylon jobs that I keep seeing at Saks. A plastic shopping bag from Publix would be a better option IMO
    Do you mean Prada or D&G? As for Prada, they put out a lot of crap, but their top-end bags are still quite nice. As well, not all of the "Nylon" bags are created equal... they numerous levels even within the black nylon series... some are crap, some are very nice. As well, they are priced accordingly... an entry-level black nylon duffle might run $695 or so, compared to $1100-1300 for one of the top end ones (these usually won't be sold at Saks... but at the Prada stores). They'll look rather similar, but everything from the nylon to the leather to the zippers will be different/better. "God is in the details," as Mies said. As for D&G... I think Domenico and Stefano have been laughing all the way to the bank with this one for YEARS.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

There are TONS of old, German made, MCM in Japanese recycle shops at very cheap prices. The stuff is hideous, but as you mentioned, in a kitchy way. I almost picked up one of their old coated canvas wallets in that tacky ochre-yellow-mud color and black MCM logo with terracotta lining and a big gold plaque on the inside. I passed, just because I never would have used it... but it was hilarious...
    Are recycle shops like consignment shops? Anyways, I think the MCM stuff is considered quite passe. Of course, Vuitton was considered dated at one point, but look at it now. MCM is so dated, it should be in now. Totally and uninhibitedly hip. Apparently, there is an appreciation for the brand in the hip-hop community as it's old school: http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/200...mcm-briefcase/ http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/200...08-collection/ [​IMG]

11. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

I'm bumping this thread to continue discussion on what I see as a trend that is only going to continue to get bigger and bigger:
    Bags (totes, messenger, etc) for men. (I'm not referring to briefcases)

I am not a fan of shoulder/messenger bags, for several reasons. If you carry a shoulder bag and are wearing a suit or sportcoat, the bag pulls the jacket down, off the shoulder and makes for a sloppy look. If you are wearing a sweater, it will enventually cause that area on the shoulder and across the arm to pill.
    I do however love a tote, or book bag. I prefer one with a shoulder stap so that if you are in need of both hands suddenly, you can throw the bag on your shoulder, momentarily.
    Attached is my favorite bag (I have several other bags but this one is perfect). This bag is hand made using saddle stitching, matte crocodile, lined in reindeer. Inside are several pockets. The trim is box-calf leather...and the handle is one continuous piece of leather. It's light and incredibly utilitarian.
    What are your opinions and thoughts on this trend?

- nice.. I want one! Please PM me about where etc.

My many female friends here in the city have been asking me about the stylish men wearing tote bags out and about. I dress up on a consistent basis, but I'd not use a tote bag unless it was cloth and for groceries. I think this is a trend that will remain only with gay men. None of my female friends think it's something a straight man should be carrying around. It seems a fairly strong and visible signifier of your demographic, akin to wearing women's jeans. (No, I'm not homophobic, but I'd prefer women aren't confused about my sexual orientation.)
    - Pah! I'm straight & no GAY man has ever confused me for being on their team.. Th only men & women that I don't associate with have given me that "look"..
    - FWIW I use a Filson one & am looking at another one (one like the above would be ideal)

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

There are TONS of old, German made, MCM in Japanese recycle shops at very cheap prices. The stuff is hideous, but as you mentioned, in a kitchy way. I almost picked up one of their old coated canvas wallets in that tacky ochre-yellow-mud color and black MCM logo with terracotta lining and a big gold plaque on the inside.

I passed, just because I never would have used it... but it was hilarious...

I'm also reminded of Fendi, which hasn't seen the kind of appreciation that Gucci or Vuitton has seen. They have that Zucca logo and that striped canvas.

13. HermesGuy

HermesGuy Senior member

True, but that still does not seem like enough stuff to come close to filling a tote bag.

Mine currently has a lot of other odds and ends in it. I didn't realize that it was a requirement that the bag must be filled at all times. LOL

14. rach2jlc

What you posted, LK, is EXACTLY the sort of stuff you can get at the Recycle Shops. They're basically like used clothes/bag shops, only Japanese styled, which means instead of twenty year old LL Bean shirts with broken buttons, you get LV, Fendi, McM, and all sorts of nifty stuff you didn't know existed (I've found neat old Thierry Mugler items, for example). They're really great...

15. hadamulletonce

hadamulletonce Senior member

I typically carry two bags, both below my eyes.

LOL...I hear ya man.

16. Aspiringtobe

Aspiringtobe Active Member

Which Brigg briefcase did you buy? Which color? Which style?

I have owned a leather brief bag made by Atlas of Boston for 13 years now, and it is still going strong, after much abuse.

The 18 inch "Churchill" model in dark brown:

http://www.classicluggage.com/BRIEFCA....01.html

The leather just looks better and better with age, although I've had to replace the handles once, and get some of the stitching resewn.

If my trusty Atlas ever wears out, I would consider a briefbag by Brigg. They look similarly sturdy.

Kai

+1 on this bag. I love it and I get a ton of compliments on it.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What you posted, LK, is EXACTLY the sort of stuff you can get at the Recycle Shops. They're basically like used clothes/bag shops, only Japanese styled, which means instead of twenty year old LL Bean shirts with broken buttons, you get LV, Fendi, McM, and all sorts of nifty stuff you didn't know existed (I've found neat old Thierry Mugler items, for example). They're really great...
    I expect it's the sort of place that fashion editors get their next big influence from--forgotten designers from MCM to Azzaro are all sitting in those shops, unloved.