• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Riddle

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, heck, not to shine sun on the parade, but my everyday driver is a V-12 powered '86 Jaguar XJ-S. It (shockingly) has A/C -- it's a freakin GM/Harrison compressor for heaven's sake. Any two-bit mechanic can fix that, or, as per usual, just replace the thing for like $50. Just took it on a 400 mile trip in June. It gets great mileage at, er, extra-highway speeds (18.1 for a -12 isn't bad). With four-wheel, two-piston disk brakes the thing stops superbly, and as I have good rubber on it, it handles better than my other car in the rain, though I admit, if you want to play with the tail when the roads are wet, you don't have to ask twice, but that's just a power issue. But the thing is, you have to be either rich or really know your car and be competent at fixing anything that might go wrong with it. I am the later, except for the trans and the a/c, and I have guys for those (fortunately haven't needed the trans guy yet, at 102k). The Jaguar has never stranded me. I explosively disintegrated the main cooling fan (the blades went through the shroud and dented my hood from underneath, pissed me off) at 6500 rpm in 2nd one day; I stopped, looked, saw, knew enough to turn on the defrosters (forcing an override to engage the secondary electric cooling fan, released the hood to the safety stop, and drove home the twenty miles. Could have made it really any distance provided I didn't have to idle in traffic, and there are ways around being stopped by that also). Really the worst part is worrying that one day I will blow up the engine and then I'll be miserable because I'll miss the darn car so much. So if you are willing and able to put the necessary effort in, go for it. If not.... run. Regards, Huntsman
jweb2of5.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huntsman, a very nice car. I get more excited about older, well maintained, well designed cars than I do with new cars. Yours is a beauty.

I also concur with you about your mileage, it's very good. V-12s are not necessarily as thirsty as most people believe them to be.

G79

Reaction score
Sweet ride and a nice pic to boot

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Sorry if my post seemed negative. I happen to love vintage cars, and have owned a couple early 70's muscle cars over the years. Realistically, there is really no car I've heard of that's 20 years or older that you can depend on for daily use--with the possible exception of a 20-year-old Honda or Toyota. Other things to consider-- Most older cars do not handle bad weather well. At best, they'll leak. At worst, you'll find the handling pretty tough on rainy or snowy roads. When you have a cool car, there's always the question of where to park it. The older cars do not have rubber bumpers, so an old car can be easily damaged parallel parking. If you park in a questionable neighborhood, there's always the fear someone will steal the wheel covers or trim. What about air-conditioning? Many vintage cars don't even have it. I have plenty of stories from my friends and family about trying to make an old car a daily driver. A vintage car is a fun luxury.
This is simply not true. A '70s Mercedes can make the trek from SF to LA. Even a well-maintained Alfa Romeo can do that not to mention Porsches and the like. Perhaps a '70s 6.9?
benz12.jpg

jkw

Reaction score
What kind of mileage would a 6.9 do? Just wondering...

jkw

Reaction score
That's not as bad as I thought

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This is simply not true. A '70s Mercedes can make the trek from SF to LA. Even a well-maintained Alfa Romeo can do that not to mention Porsches and the like.
Sure, older cars can make occasional long trips. I just would not want to depend on them as daily drivers with several long trips a year as the OP wanted. When cars are as old as the OP considered (1968-1983) surprises can happen any time. I drove my '71 Olds Cutlass Supreme from Atlanta to Michigan. The car was great on the long trip. Later, the car almost killed me, 'cause the brakes failed suddenly. (it had a single well system) A woman I know owns an early 80's 190 E 2.3-16. She drove it every day 1.5 miles to her work until about a year ago when the motor blew. Even though she and her husband are wealthy, they cannot find a new motor for the car, so the car's on blocks. That car BTW was practically undrivable on even the lightest snow--she swerved out of control while driving about 20 mph and had an accident. Her insurance company cancelled her after paying for the damages incurred in a very minor fender bender. My brother drove his 1972 Pontiac convertible to visit me (2000 mi round trip). Halfway though the journey, the car started blowing smoke. By the time he got it home, the motor had to be rebuilt. Fortunately, he could do it himself. Naturally, there is a huge difference between a car from the early 80's and a car from the 1960's. The 60's and early 70's cars are much simpler, and they come from a time when people drove less. I don't think they are designed to compete in modern traffic day after day, and deliver the comfort and reliability that we are accustomed to in 2008. Huntsman's Jaguar (which BTW is a beautiful car) is from 1986. To me that's not that old. I'm sure with TLC it makes a great daily driver. Does anyone here actually have a car made between 1968 and 1983 that is driven 20 miles a day, every day, with occasional long trips that gives great fuel economy and reliablity? I'd be especially interested to hear about it if that car was made in the 60's or 70's.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Does anyone here actually have a car made between 1968 and 1983 that is driven 20 miles a day, every day, with occasional long trips that gives great fuel economy and reliablity? I'd be especially interested to hear about it if that car was made in the 60's or 70's.

I used to have a 1969 Mercedes 280SEL, which ran very well. I also frequently see people driving those '70s Mercedes diesels.

As well, I drive a 380SL on a daily basis, which is a V8--it gets about 17-18 MPG.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I used to have a 1969 Mercedes 280SEL, which ran very well. I also frequently see people driving those '70s Mercedes diesels.

As well, I drive a 380SL on a daily basis, which is a V8--it gets about 17-18 MPG.

Very close friends of mine have a 1978 450SL. They don't necessarily drive it daily; however, they routinely drive it very long distances. I recall last year they drove it from Indiana on separate trips to Texas, Kansas, Arizona, and Minnesota. The car provides phenomenal performance and gives them very little trouble.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads